Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 07:17 PM

160 posts, read 485,785 times

Advertisements

Now what is this stuff about "drop outs" in the back? LOL Im assuming youre meaning Jungle King Road? I kinda like it back here, no reason to come back here because there are no thru roads so you pretty much can tell when someone is up to no good!
When I came here 3 years ago, it was not so bad as it is now. The people living at the fire lot with about 25 dogs a piece is ridiculous. If you live here you know who I mean so Im not going to go name calling.
It seems there might be some hope though, I noticed they did some work on middle road which has long needed it.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:49 PM

502 posts, read 985,035 times
I got a place in FFVE and I am grateful for a piece of Hawaii - much cheaper than damn Oahu RE prices.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:04 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
There are some folks in Fern Forest who have a web forum as well as a blog:
Sensible Simplicity Forum: Discussing Sustainability Categories
Sensible Simplicity

They are growing a lot of sweet potatoes as well as loads of other vegetables and trying to be completely sustainable in their lifestyle. There might be some good ideas for folks interested in the Fern Forest area on those two links.

I think the elevation is a little high for many of the fruits mentioned, but you could inquire of the folks at that forum since they live there and grow food there.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:02 PM

90 posts, read 279,710 times
Funny, I just found this thread while researching what plants to pick up at the annual Plant It Hawaii fruit sale today. There are plenty of fruits and veggies and spices and herbs that grow excellently up here. Just don't expect to be able to plop whatever catches your fancy in the ground and have it behave as you expect. Do your research to figure out what varieties work best and you'll be just fine. We have banana, starfruit, many kinds of hawaiian sweet potato, oranges, kaffir lime, vanilla, avocado, strawberries, hawaiian chile peppers and other spices, green beans, cantaloupe, radishes, carrots... Also have a couple of goats, some chickens, 3 dogs and a cat. And we love it. Are there dingbat neighbors? Yes. Are they the majority? No. Do you have to be tough to live here? Yes.

If you're striving to see everyone else live in a way that you think is right and good so that you can sleep well at night, then this place isn't for you and most of FF's residents wouldn't want you here. It's a typical flaw of we caucasians. To push our ideas on others for 'their own good'. How many times has that actually worked throughout history? Live and let live. Don't assume. Don't come into a situation with preconcieved notions of what "should" be. You'll learn a lot.

It's a simpler way of life here and we look out for one another. And there are many types of affordable housing for raw land. Whether a VW bus, a small wooden house, a yurt... or do it like my neighbor! She's been happy in a big (20x20) tall, (12') heavy duty platform tent for over 4 years! She built her lovely wooden, 2 story kit house last year, but she's still living in her tent. She prefers it. More power to her! She's responsible with her waste and isn't adversely affecting others, and that's what's important. Whatever floats your boat may not float other people's boats. Doesn't mean they're pathetic or in a state of misery or need outside "help". I think most of us agree here in Fern Forest, the last thing we want is "help" from people who don't understand the actual issues. Then we'd be forced to turn into a heavily regulated, automated community. No thanks.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangodog View Post
I got a place in FFVE and I am grateful for a piece of Hawaii - much cheaper than damn Oahu RE prices.
There is this good guy that will come into Puna and remove junk cars for free ! He salvages the metal.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:50 PM

8 posts, read 26,440 times
Like so many, we left the forest and the island because it's gone down through the tubes, and I don't mean Pipeline. Drugs and alcohol have taken over so many of the people that life there is not real anymore. So many think they can go hide out -- but they are kidding themselves. Living in tents and shacks is no where -- a life for loosers! It's super sad to see that the children are being raised like that -- being taught how to live on welfare, food stamps, in shacks, etc...generation after generation. Hawaii is nothing like it was in the 70's and 80's - ice heads have taken over. Just take a look around -- worse than living in a third world country.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:45 AM

Default How to grow fruit trees and get more vegetables to grow

Quote:

I found a good company in Kurtistown called Plant It Hawaii, - although they sell to the trade of Professional Landscapers, they do sell to the public at designated times of the year. Call them and ask for a list of plants and trees that will grow at the elevation you are situated at and ask for dates of the year that they will sell to the general public.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:05 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
They also have a website which lists all the plants they sell and how to grow them, too. Very informative for tropical fruit trees. We go to their sales whenever they have them.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:52 PM

Default Growing vegetables and fruit trees in Fern Forest.

Quote:
There is a great store in Kurtistown called "Plant It Hawaii". They normally sell all kinds of exotic fruit and nut trees to Professional Landscapers with Hawaiian Tax IDs but will sell to the general public during the year at specified times. Call to find out when. They are most helpful to explain what trees will grow at specific elevations. I recommend them.

Also, I hear of so many people complaining about the lack of ground soil in Fern Forest. I had a man rip the lava and make a trench so that I could have good soil delivered to my new repository. It is so much easier to have plants and trees growing where the soil will not wash away.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:17 AM

Default Theives, Criminals, Bandits, Meth/Ice activity

Quote:

I have found the Puna Police to be most helpful in rounding up Criminals in Fern Forest Vacation Estates. All you have to do is call them on your cell phone when you see some one that looks like they are up to no good. Let us make our home a safer place to live. Don't be a wimp - Don't be a victim - just call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island