Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 07:44 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,163,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
If it makes you feel any better - you are far more likely to be subject to a violent crime on the Big Island than Dengue Fever.

2013 a record year for violent crime | West Hawaii Today

Article is a couple of years old but you get the idea.

Protect yourselves.
But considering that most of the islands have a similar violent crime rate (and those ratings are lower than the US average) you are as safe or safer here on Hawaii as you are on Maui, Oahu, Kauai etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 10:42 PM

28 posts, read 35,264 times
Whtviper, that puts things into perspective. I actually feel better. Yeah, if you take the number of cases, and take into account the population, logistically the chances are low.

Old 12-27-2015, 10:56 PM

353 posts, read 437,494 times
whtviper1: yeah, i worry about that too. i always take precautions. never an unlocked door in my house.

tori: from california. thanks for trying to calm me down. appreciate that!

Old 12-27-2015, 11:15 PM

I am in California as well Jane, what part in Cali? What took you to the BI? You said you spent $10,000 on moving costs, or did I read that somewhere else? We are looking at Matson ...getting a small container and shipping a vehicle plus shipping out a couple dogs (yes, I know all about the dog situation). The thought crossed my mind to leave the fur babies behind, but I just can't. That would be messed up.

The crime rate is higher where I currently live.

Old 12-28-2015, 10:30 AM

1,585 posts, read 2,109,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BasicallyTori View Post
Hello,

Re-direct me if I am starting a thread that has already been started, as I haven't seen one. I am coming out Jan 8th and would like to here what the status is. I have been on the punaweb forum and hear people have dengue fever in HPP, where I will be staying...I have read it's all over the island. 176 confirmed cases. The likely hood of becoming infected is rather low right? Using mosquito repellent and keeping areas free of stagnant water is the advice correct? How is everyone doing with this outbreak?

Thanks for reading,

Tori
Here is an earlier thread on Dengue -

https://www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...must-read.html

Old 12-28-2015, 12:05 PM

Hi Tori

Bay Area. Specifically San Jose. Most of the 10,000$ I spent has been on transitional housing while we are here in Hawaii, but the dog cost around $600 to bring. We are shipping 50 small USPS boxes with some clothing and personal articles that are important and that will cost $2,000. I shipped my car through Matson. I felt it was reasonable and a breeze. Out of Oakland into Hilo. The worse part was getting to the port in Oakland (what a mess!!), but everyone at Matson was so helpful. Cost of shipping car : 1,000$. The reason why I shipped my car is b/c It has at least 100,000 more miles on it and it is in great shape. Also, I couldn't see coming here and then scrambling to find a car and housing!
Flight and rental car cost: $1000
Cost of living here for 1 month (food and lodging): $4,0000. Our Air bnb rental was pretty expensive, but it cost only a bit more than our
monthly rent back home, so it wasn't a stretch.

So, yeah. About 8,600$ it looks like. You could do it less if you don't ship anything at all and while you are here, try to find some place to stay with monthly discount or stay in hostels.

When do you plan on coming over? Be prepared for your dogs to be rejected by almost every living facility. I will have to warn you about that.

Old 12-28-2015, 03:08 PM

Thanks PJ!

Jane, We plan on moving out toward the end of 2016, maybe earlier depending on some factors. Yes, I know most people do not accept dogs in rentals. My parents are buying there as well, so hopefully the dog situation will work, if not I have someone to take care of them until we get situated. Moving to HI, is huge...it's different than just packing up a U-Haul and driving into the sunset. I also have read 90 percent of mainlanders move back to the mainland after a year. I think most people move there with unrealistic expectations. I have been super realistic about the move and I am not moving to HI because I think it's palm trees and coconuts. My parents are moving there and I want to stay close. We also look forward to slowing down, it's too crazy here in California (a dang rat race).

We plan on using Matson as well, and also a small separate shipping container. We will be getting rid of 90 percent of our stuff. We don't need much, just looking for simple.

Old 12-28-2015, 03:27 PM

Tori --Good to know that you will most likely have a smoother transition than we have. Having family here will help a lot. However, people here have been nice and happy to help as well

Old 12-28-2015, 04:42 PM

That's awesome. It helps when you have friendly faces around. Hang in there. I am sure once you get your place, things will go a little smoother for you.

Old 12-29-2015, 03:14 PM

834 posts, read 1,217,712 times
Is Dengue here to stay?

Well, it seems that Hawaii always had occasional outbreaks over the last 100 years or so. With more people living here and more transient tourists and easier travel it won't change.

The only change is that the virus MIGHT become endemic/permanent or that outbreaks become more frequent.

Changes will be that other strains, other diseases will be coming as well. Yet Hawaii is not alone as AZ, FL, CA, TX battling new subtropical and tropical diseases. West Nile Virus is all over the eastern seaboard, and Lyme disease in nearly all states.

Better confront it where you are ( or intent to move to) than trying to find a '100% safe' spot in the world, because they dwindle rapidly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island