Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 01:47 PM

353 posts, read 437,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post

Better confront it where you are ( or intent to move to) than trying to find a '100% safe' spot in the world, because they dwindle rapidly.
Well said.

You mentioned other states that will have a problem with dengue and while I will agree to that, there are some differences:

1) in all the states you mentioned, there is usually some kind of cold period that knocks mosquito population out or at least down. Even in south florida, temps can dip into low 50's now and then and that is enough to keep pests under control.

2) The other states you mentioned are way more vigilant in keeping their population informed and way more efficient at controlling vectors. This is probably because they have more $$$, but none the less. I am much more confident in the ability for Florida or Arizona or TX to do the right thing about health threats than I am in the ability of Hawaii to protect it's residents from those same health threats.

3) This third point is pure speculation, but it seems to me that people here are much more concerned about "poison" being sprayed to control the mosquitoes than dengue. It has been my observation that the feeling among residence is "if i get it, i get it. oh well. I'll just take some tylenol" I am not advocating that everyone be a worry wart, but I seems that people are abdicating responsibility for their own health. Like they rather just leave it to chance. Again, this is my observation which may be totally skewed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 10:16 PM

10,557 posts, read 7,755,116 times
Although there are now 207 documented cases in this outbreak, only six people are potentially infectious at this time, according to today's news.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:29 AM

834 posts, read 1,217,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Although there are now 207 documented cases in this outbreak, only six people are potentially infectious at this time, according to today's news.
The quota of people who have it and don't report dengue is hard to determine. Also not known is the ratio is of not having (or having few) symptoms but are infectious carriers compared to obvious sick dengue patients.

Old 03-07-2016, 03:20 PM

Any thoughts about forcing people to have their properties sprayed for mosquitoes?

Recent stories indicate many residents, especially organic farmers, are refusing to allow pesticides on their properties. I can understand why an organic farmer wouldn't want to lose their certification for a period of three years over this. Maybe there should be some flexibility in this rule?

From a recent news story:

"There are some who are holding out and not allowing us to be on their property," Pressler said. "One of the things that this emergency declaration from the governor will allow us to do is that we can in fact enforce that we will come and take care of mosquitoes on a property that someone is refusing, because it is a public health emergency."

Old 03-07-2016, 06:23 PM

The little spraying the county is doing around the house does absolutely nothing IMHO. I offered them to spray all of my 6 acres and they refused ( I had sprayed around the house already). I told them that there are plenty of avocado shells, mac nut husks, leaves and tree holes filled with rainwater everywhere. Also pointed out the water puddles in the rusty cars my neighbor stores which could be sprayed without entering his property. They said no again. And so they walked.

Guess I am one of these irresponsible people in their statistics who needs to be forced to accept their fake attempt of eradication.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
The little spraying the county is doing around the house does absolutely nothing IMHO. I offered them to spray all of my 6 acres and they refused ( I had sprayed around the house already)..
Thanks for sharing your experience. Are you in one of the hot zones? If not, I can understand why they were reluctant to spray the entire 6 acres. If so, they were definitely remiss.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:08 AM

Blind Cleric, location is in South Kona, at the center of the Hot Zone, early November. At that time foreign coffee and mac nut pickers were swarming the hillsides. Heat, rain, and humidity were incessant. Skeeters everywhere. Dengue transported by pickers and farmers and school children up and down the agricultural strip btw North & South Kona (not everyone shows symptoms but distributes when infected!).

Wherever the county sent their spray trucks, tyvek clad researchers, and handed out flyers the rumor mills started:"So-and-so is sick!" "They shouldn't walk their dogs!" "Don't go near that house!" "No use their coffee/mac nut picking crew!" "Government should sent them Kalapana." Anonymous calls by strangers were made: "You sick?! Betta keep your kids away from da school!" Can't blame folks for not wanting that kind of attention.

County should've done helicopter spraying of the Honaunau state forest in the evening. Then in the early AM along the shoreline and sprayed along the HWY and county roads at noon. The daily shifting wind patterns would have nicely drifted the pesticide through the whole hot zone with no private property or organic farm 'officially' affected.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:27 AM

959 posts, read 1,215,865 times
Quote:
Blind Cleric, location is in South Kona, at the center of the Hot Zone, early November. At that time foreign coffee and mac nut pickers were swarming the hillsides. Heat, rain, and humidity were incessant. Skeeters everywhere. Dengue transported by pickers and farmers and school children up and down the agricultural strip btw North & South Kona (not everyone shows symptoms but distributes when infected!).

Wherever the county sent their spray trucks, tyvek clad researchers, and handed out flyers the rumor mills started:"So-and-so is sick!" "They shouldn't walk their dogs!" "Don't go near that house!" "No use their coffee/mac nut picking crew!" "Government should sent them Kalapana." Anonymous calls by strangers were made: "You sick?! Betta keep your kids away from da school!" Can't blame folks for not wanting that kind of attention.

County should've done helicopter spraying of the Honaunau state forest in the evening. Then in the early AM along the shoreline and sprayed along the HWY and county roads at noon. The daily shifting wind patterns would have nicely drifted the pesticide through the whole hot zone with no private property or organic farm 'officially' affected.
I have read that there have been no new reported cases for a couple weeks now and they feel they are getting it under control. Is that the same information you are hearing there on the ground ?

Old 03-08-2016, 12:37 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
I'd heard a news report, too, that the dengue outbreak was over. Not sure if Waipio valley has been opened again or not, I've not asked anyone.

Old 03-13-2016, 12:29 AM

308 posts, read 410,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
I'd heard a news report, too, that the dengue outbreak was over. Not sure if Waipio valley has been opened again or not, I've not asked anyone.
It was still closed the when we visited there, twice, during the 4th week of February. Of course, that was a couple of weeks ago, now. Dog knows what, if anything, has changed, there since then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island