Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 09:19 PM

28 posts, read 35,364 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Re-direct me if I am starting a thread that has already been started, as I haven't seen one. I am coming out Jan 8th and would like to here what the status is. I have been on the punaweb forum and hear people have dengue fever in HPP, where I will be staying...I have read it's all over the island. 176 confirmed cases. The likely hood of becoming infected is rather low right? Using mosquito repellent and keeping areas free of stagnant water is the advice correct? How is everyone doing with this outbreak?

Thanks for reading,

Tori
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 10:20 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,172,133 times
Seems like the hype in the news has slowed down a bit in the last few weeks. Yes, the paper updates the daily count of confirmed infections and the TV news has an occasional blurb, but really, my family doesn't give it much thought. My wife and I both work in Captain Cook, which is a Dengue hot-spot. We use repellent in the morning but that's about it. Funny story, I caught a bout of the flu 3 weeks back, I have to admit Dengue did cross my mind a few times until I started to get over it.

To me, it's not much different that the West Nile hype that goes around in California where I used to live. Educate, take basic precautions and then get on with your life. Other than one of my favorite beaches being indefinitely closed (Ho'okena), it really hasn't impacted my life.

Old 12-26-2015, 10:54 PM

834 posts, read 1,221,480 times
It's hyped up for the folks who haven't gotten it. The ones who had sing a different song.

A neighbor and his wife got it and he was down for a week, she is in her 4th week already and still not completely over it (fatigue, anxiety, fever, then massive depression, bone pain, dizziness, hair loss now). Tricky thing is that not everybody gets it in the same way. Some don't even have symptoms and can spread it for a whole week especially if they work on different farms or are landscapers for different properties.

We have strain 1 in Hawaii, but there are 3 other ones out there in other countries/regions. If you get infected with one you are immune to the same strain but not to the other 3! Actually the other 3 become now much more dangerous to you and you may die of inner bleeding once you get infected by them. So if you plan to travel a lot to the tropics, avoid getting any dengue by always spraying DEET on you. At least till a decent vaccine is being developed.

If you are a Puna WOOFER or yoga workshop participant and they'll house you in a leaky tent with a swampy shower and dripping toilet--just don't go now. If you are in a screened room plus mosquito net and proper plumbing just douse yourself in DEET 3x a day and you'll be fine.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:27 AM

354 posts, read 440,056 times
Hi Tori,

I am new to the Island and have been staying in south kona (honaunau specifically) for about 3 weeks. We are in the riskiest spot. I hear Puna is also a risky spot as well (although, not as much as south kona). If you can avoid staying there, I would just so you don't have to worry so much about it (if you are a massive worrier like me). If you want to stay there, then take precautions which means some of your carefree fun may be dampened a little. Try to avoid dusk and dawn hours out. Wear long sleeves, pants or skirts when you can and have a good insect repellant (about 25% -30% DEET is sufficient) to put on exposed skin areas. Don't swim with repellant on as it will wash off and I heard it harms the reefs. Shower all repellant off at night before retiring.

I think, even though cases are only trickling in now, that being cautious is the best thing to do. You REALLY don't want to get Dengue. Especially as KaraBen says, if you plan on traveling to other countries were strains are different and outbreaks are worse.

Old 12-27-2015, 02:32 PM

Hi,

Thanks for your responses. We aren't going there to vacation. We are moving there next year, and need to get some ducks in a row. Do you think it's here to stay? It seems hard to erradicate. I really appreciate all the advice. Jane M, yeah I'm a big worry wart haha.

Old 12-27-2015, 02:39 PM

Jane M,

You just moved out 3 weeks ago? I know you are in Kona, and we will be on thr Hilo side, but how is the transition going ?

Old 12-27-2015, 02:41 PM

And, grassyknoll...I would be there right with you about catching the flu, and the thought of dengue crossing my mind. Haha okay, deet it is. Thanks.

Old 12-27-2015, 06:02 PM

354 posts, read 440,056 times
Hi Tori,

Not so smoothly. We rented a house two weeks back, but the renters are unable to move into their new house b/c of escrow issues so we can't move in. We just left one accommodation and we are now in a mosquito infested B and B in south kona and I am freaking out. (see my previous post: just moved to hawaii and freaking out!).

Old 12-27-2015, 06:46 PM

Oh, that's a bummer. Well, hopefully things will get better for you. Hang in there, every rough patch has smooth sailing eventually. Keep lathering on the mosquito repellent. Where did you move from?

Old 12-27-2015, 06:59 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,974,188 times
If it makes you feel any better - you are far more likely to be subject to a violent crime on the Big Island than Dengue Fever.

2013 a record year for violent crime | West Hawaii Today

Article is a couple of years old but you get the idea.

Protect yourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island