Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 08:04 PM

1,022 posts, read 737,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdr22 View Post
It sounds as if you have very little to lose by trying it out here, especially if you really do have or can find a work trade or other way to get ahead. I have often wondered why folks that live in depressed places with no real opportunity just sit and do nothing. Getting on a bus or plane to at least find a more pleasant climate seems like it can't make anything any worse.

Best of luck to you.

I have to agree with this, often wondered why people would just stay where it is known to be terrible. Might suggest that a smile and some kindness will go a long way here. A willingness to help others and not attack could be a better way to achieve your ideas/ideals of Hawaii and be happy.

This is not meant to be an "I told you so" but after here for awhile you will probably understand no one was trying to keep you away, just make you aware.

Aloha, peace and good luck to you

Old 08-25-2017, 10:26 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
I have to agree with this, often wondered why people would just stay where it is known to be terrible.
This is getting ridiculous.

We aren't in Pakistan or Sierra Leone or Mogadishu - the pitty party isn't exactly making me weep. Besides this thread being the bored housewife type made up story this era of a lack of personal responsibility is all to common.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:07 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
OP, this has been fun but the thread is running out of gas. Are you, perhaps, a radical cleric? A transsexual? An alien? A necrophiliac? You gotta give us something new or this will dry up (along with your sack of flower)! What a shame that would be!
Jus sayin

Last edited by Futuremauian; 08-25-2017 at 11:49 PM..

Old 08-25-2017, 11:55 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
I take a day off and you folks get into all kinds of a froth! Well, at least it should be interesting.

How about 50# of popcorn instead of flowers? We may need a lot of popcorn for this one.

I still like the oven made of adobe idea. And if you find a source of bulk yeast, let us know. For some reason Costco doesn't have it at the moment so you'll be stuck baking bread with either sourdough (much slower) or using those silly little yeast packets at three of them for $2.75.

Moving to a new place far away from everything you're used to can be scary, but being nice to folks will get you a lot further. But, that's just my opinion, YMMV.

Although, if you've already got a work trade situation set up, where does the homeless part come in?

Old 08-26-2017, 01:00 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,594,580 times
Hi hotz, I know this thread blew chunks after just a moment. Can you understand why? I just can't understand some peoples perceived entitlement. Of course it's just trolling and needling, but it does bring my hackles up, since we spent 20- 30 years investing in this place we love and call home. I agree, popcorn is much more entertaining than flour , and "flowers" are much, much more Lucrative, my favorite.

Old 08-26-2017, 01:30 AM

509 posts, read 484,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionkid47 View Post
I am 6ft 1in 225 lbs. I'm from Metro Detroit, the people there will make a Hawian local look like a girlscout.
Have you ever met a native Hawaiian? I don't mean the descendants of mainlanders or Asians. I mean a real, dyed-in-the-wool Hawaiian? Trust me when I say: they can take care of themselves handily.

But yer just kidding with all this stupid stuff right? Some kind of 'clever' parody of what you think a welfare recipient is like.

Old 08-26-2017, 01:42 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,594,580 times
Seven feet tall, five feet wide? Oyeah, Seen lots of them, have to ride in the backs of pickups 'cause no fit inside. Both Blellahs and Sistahs. Pound you into sand. This guy is a dwarf.

Last edited by leilaniguy; 08-26-2017 at 01:55 AM..

Old 08-26-2017, 08:23 AM

34 posts, read 36,657 times
I'll just kick em in the knee n watch them drop like a sack of flower! 7ft tall yea right! I exaggerated on the post because everyone else did on the details of most things. It leveled out but let's not start making up stories about giants. I have a work trade set up, but reading the comments on other ththreads it sounds like people consider that the same as homeless. I was gonna do my work share hours in the evening, so I could sleep in bed with local wives during the day while while their not so well endowed husbands are at work. That's my plan.

Old 08-26-2017, 09:39 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,048,899 times
Carpe diem!

Old 08-26-2017, 11:21 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolus View Post
that's a great idea. One thing the big island has abundance of is clay for firing. Being an active volcano and a relatively young one, most of the soil is is actually clay. (you would think it was just lava but our volcano actually spews clay, iron ore that is amazingly easy to smelt, and fresh top soil).

And fruit trees just sprout up on their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: