Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 03:31 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,161,875 times

Advertisements

Or maybe we do as in most areas with a certain amount of risk from natural disasters; we allow people to build where they want and let them assume the risk.
When Texas experienced a flood this year and saw over 100,000 homes damaged or destroyed, I doubt there was much talk of disallowing residents to rebuild or make them build portable houses.
Even if all of Puna were to be wiped out it wouldn't be nearly the loss we see from a moderate hurricane making landfall on the mainland.
A bit of perspective. Our losses from lava flows are tragic and awe-inspiring, but they are not huge losses in number, dollars or scope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2018, 04:45 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,552,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
But the area is so large that any one given spot (except a few unlucky ones) only seems to get hit once in a human lifetime. People see a mature forest (albezias grow quickly, so it is deceptive) and cheap land, so they go there. I think everyone knows it's a gamble.
It seems to be a problem without a solution other than to persevere and relocate when burned out. In any case, it provides a convenient place for meth labs to operate away from "everyone" else.

I'm glad is isn't my problem. Kona-side is more my style!!

Old 05-20-2018, 06:25 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
I guess a lighthearted take on this would not be good, meaning no discounts on lava lamps at any of the antique/thrift stores in Hawaii?

Old 05-20-2018, 08:27 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,161,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
It seems to be a problem without a solution other than to persevere and relocate when burned out. In any case, it provides a convenient place for meth labs to operate away from "everyone" else.

Well a good portion of the Kona side is lava zone 2, so no real guarantee it won't see an eruption someday too.

Old 05-20-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
Well a good portion of the Kona side is lava zone 2, so no real guarantee it won't see an eruption someday too.
True, but I think the risks are much reduced, but I could be wrong!!!

Old 05-20-2018, 09:58 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
Or maybe we do as in most areas with a certain amount of risk from natural disasters; we allow people to build where they want and let them assume the risk.
When Texas experienced a flood this year and saw over 100,000 homes damaged or destroyed
I think it was closer to 200,000 homes.

Regardless, the population in the metro Houston area is a bit more than the BI.

The vast majority of those flooded houses had insurance. Practically everyone moved back home.

When the flood subsided you still had most infrastructure in place.

I doubt most people in Puna truly understood the risks. And when lava covers the surrounding area you are basically wiped out with no hope of recovery. It’s not like you move back in after a flood.

Old 05-21-2018, 03:30 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Quote:
True, but I think the risks are much reduced, but I could be wrong!!!
Actually, because of the steeper hillsides on that side, if the volcano does blow on the Kona side, I've heard you've got about twenty minutes to get out of the way. Although, maybe it would start out slower with old lava like this flow did.

Have you noticed the difference in the lava at the beginning and the current lava that is flowing in rivers down to the ocean? The scientific sorts who are tracking the lava say the original lava was much older - from the '50s eruptions! Now it's fresher lava and seems much more liquid and mobile.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:39 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:

In addition to much of Kona side from town to the south being in hazard zone number 2, they're also the unfortunate recipient of most of the vog generated from Kilauea eruptions. Last hour I checked, this site is giving Ocean View and Kona unhealthy scores for particulate matter while Hilo is just fine. Vog Measurement and Prediction (VMAP) | Current SO2/SO4 Measurements

The lava zones are based on expected frequency of flows, so the risks aren't reduced compared to Puna zone 2 in the mind of the geologists who put together the maps. And as Hotzcatz mentioned, residents wouldn't have the luxury of staying home and waiting to see how things developed there because the lava could move so rapidly on those steep slopes.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Actually, because of the steeper hillsides on that side, if the volcano does blow on the Kona side, I've heard you've got about twenty minutes to get out of the way. Although, maybe it would start out slower with old lava like this flow did.

Have you noticed the difference in the lava at the beginning and the current lava that is flowing in rivers down to the ocean? The scientific sorts who are tracking the lava say the original lava was much older - from the '50s eruptions! Now it's fresher lava and seems much more liquid and mobile.
I have indeed been following the eruption closely, and you are correct. It is the current assessment that the initial lava was leftover from the 1955 eruption and was, therefor, cooler and less fluid. Once the old stuff was pushed out, and the new stuff made it to the fissures, the real show began including the fountaining and flows that have reached the ocean.

There are also some potentially-serious issues at the caldera and Puʻu ʻŌʻō which "flushed". This allows groundwater to enter into the picture, which some potentially much-larger-scale implications. The worst would be a partial or total collapse of the magma chamber if it indeed empties. This would be HUGE, but is very unlikely to happen.

There is a much-more intensive coverage of this event over on Punaweb.org including links to USGS documents assessing the 1790 and 1924 eruptions which were more pyroclastic than magmatic in nature. Hawaiian volcanos are usually mostly relatively-sedate magma eruptions, but about 1% of the material deposited on the sides of Kilauea are from pyroclastic events (think Mt. St. Helens).

Old 05-21-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
In addition to much of Kona side from town to the south being in hazard zone number 2, they're also the unfortunate recipient of most of the vog generated from Kilauea eruptions. Last hour I checked, this site is giving Ocean View and Kona unhealthy scores for particulate matter while Hilo is just fine. Vog Measurement and Prediction (VMAP) | Current SO2/SO4 Measurements

The lava zones are based on expected frequency of flows, so the risks aren't reduced compared to Puna zone 2 in the mind of the geologists who put together the maps. And as Hotzcatz mentioned, residents wouldn't have the luxury of staying home and waiting to see how things developed there because the lava could move so rapidly on those steep slopes.
Hualalai, the volcano which sends lava to KK, last erupted in 1800 or thereabouts.

Kilauea has erupted constantly since the early 1980s.

HUGE difference.

Mauna Loa hasn't repaved KK in the historical record that I am aware of as it is blocked by Hualalai. It (ML) is, however, well over-due for eruption.

Last edited by Open-D; 05-21-2018 at 11:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island