Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 05:42 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,556,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Houses used to be pretty inexpensive. Then Hurricane Iniki flattened Kauai and damaged some of Oahu and the Powers That Be decided houses needed to be hurricane proof. That was the beginnings of the current pretty restrictive building codes that we have now.

At some point, there will be houses printed out by big 3D printers, no doubt.

The amount of lava that has been spewing out for the past few days is just absolutely astonishing. No buildings can survive that level of inundation, especially since it's lava and not mud or water. Probably the best answer to building in Lower Puna is movable buildings. Maybe making it a requirement that all communities in that area be either RVs or trailer parks.....
is NOT to. Dry riverbed are a much safer choice, since it never rains.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 06:25 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,278,998 times
Quote:
Houses used to be pretty inexpensive. Then Hurricane Iniki flattened Kauai and damaged some of Oahu and the Powers That Be decided houses needed to be hurricane proof. That was the beginnings of the current pretty restrictive building codes that we have now.

At some point, there will be houses printed out by big 3D printers, no doubt.

The amount of lava that has been spewing out for the past few days is just absolutely astonishing. No buildings can survive that level of inundation, especially since it's lava and not mud or water. Probably the best answer to building in Lower Puna is movable buildings. Maybe making it a requirement that all communities in that area be either RVs or trailer parks.....
That was my suggestion. Mobile homes or manufactured homes that can be moved. There's thousands of mobile and manufactured homes in Southern California and Florida. It's much more affordable housing in Southern California, although the park lot rent is equivalent to a 30 year mortgage payment on a $300K house, which is pretty high for the lot rent, but drastically cheaper than conventional housing in Southern California.

Florida has a lot more hurricanes than Hawaii. I heard Hawaii only had 4 major hurricanes in the past 69 years. I don’t think people move the mobile or manufactured home when a hurricane is coming in Florida, although you could move it. You can buy a very beautiful brand new manufactured home in Southern California for about $120K. An old mobile home that needs renovation can be less than $20K.

It seems that mobile and manufactured homes is the perfect solution for the Puna district in higher risk lava zones. I couldn’t understand why I didn’t see any mobile or manufactured homes when driving around the area that is currently under the assault of the lava flows. It would be much more affordable housing for people with more limited financial resources. It’s more practical, because the housing could be moved, and relocated later on a different lot.

Or, perhaps the high risk lava zone areas could become county or state parks. No need to expand the Federal parks and burden the Federal tax payers to solve a state problem.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:36 AM

857 posts, read 960,315 times
This is a good illustration of what I have in mind. You telling me this won't save the house?

Old 06-04-2018, 09:52 AM

268 posts, read 383,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
This is a good illustration of what I have in mind. You telling me this won't save the house?
Maybe not. This is the geothermal plant in Puna. Look at the trees and power line for scale. Lava just builds on top of itself as it cools.
Attached Thumbnails
My idea of mitigating lava risk-01e78bdd-984e-4cbc-a5ab-02f53c8fe991.jpeg  

Old 06-04-2018, 10:05 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,092,925 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPbKQG4Xx_4

Old 06-04-2018, 10:27 AM

10,567 posts, read 7,776,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Built on 1955 lava flow. Hmm, that house may be gone, or threatened, presently.

Looks too expensive for your average Punatic.

Old 06-04-2018, 12:16 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,092,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Built on 1955 lava flow. Hmm, that house may be gone, or threatened, presently.

Looks too expensive for your average Punatic.
I don't think they worry about it. They would just rebuild. Here is another video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiPtwcyvhG4

Old 06-04-2018, 05:05 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,045,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
Nope, the lava would just fill that in and keep going. At the moment it's the flow is a mile wide where it's going into the ocean and it's thirty feet deep or higher in areas. Over a mile long from the fissure to the ocean. The volume of lava coming out of those fissures is just astonishing.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:07 PM

10,567 posts, read 7,776,236 times
Quote:
Nope, the lava would just fill that in and keep going. At the moment it's the flow is a mile wide where it's going into the ocean and it's thirty feet deep or higher in areas. Over a mile long from the fissure to the ocean. The volume of lava coming out of those fissures is just astonishing.
Indeed. Check out the video. The big view toward the end that shows the active fissure up slope is especially ominous. Eruption Digest For June 4: Lava Enters Kapoho Bay, Fissure 8 Pumping

Old 06-29-2018, 04:36 AM

16 posts, read 20,974 times
ability to obstruct or redirect lava largely depends on location, resources and luck. Here are four strategies:
Bomb it
Before he was a general in the World War Two, George S Patton planned a different kind of military campaign - a bombing run on Hawaii's Mauna Loa, the largest volcano on Earth, as it erupted in 1935.
As the lava begin graceful at a rate of one mile (1.6km) a day towards the city of Hilo, then-director of the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory Thomas Jaggar suggested bombing lava tubes.

Cool it with water
One of the most successful lava stops came in the 1970s on the Icelandic island of Hailey. Lava from the Eldfell volcano threatened the island's harbour and the town of Vestmannaeyjar.
Build a barrier
Back at Mount Etna, an eruption in March 1983 in danger three towns. Barriers of rock and dust were constructed in an attempt to divert the lava.
The
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island