Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 10:24 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,274,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Since they are banned you won't find any news stories.

Regardless, where do you think all these mobile homes, if they existed, would move to?
Excessive rules and regulations. I was wondering why I didn't see any mobile or manufactured homes when driving around Hawaii. It seemed like a simple solution to answer the problems that low income people have for housing in Hawaii, to make it more affordable for those people. It would also be a simple solution for the high risk lava zones. The mobile or manufactured home could be temporarily placed on government land. There must be plenty of available government land that could be used on a temporarily basis. If mobile home parks could be created in Hawaii by entrepreneurs, then they could offer alternative locations to relocate mobile homes or manufactured homes.

It seems pretty heartless to the struggling low income people that the mobile and manufactured home are banned. I don't know if there is any other state that bans mobile or manufactured housing.

Another solution is the state could pass laws forbidding new construction in high lava zone areas, and the state could simply buy the land from the land owners, if the land owners were willing to sell the land to the state. The Hawaii taxpayers would probably be very happy to fund the land acquisition for the new state park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 12:24 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,552,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Excessive rules and regulations. I was wondering why I didn't see any mobile or manufactured homes when driving around Hawaii. It seemed like a simple solution to answer the problems that low income people have for housing in Hawaii, to make it more affordable for those people. It would also be a simple solution for the high risk lava zones. The mobile or manufactured home could be temporarily placed on government land. There must be plenty of available government land that could be used on a temporarily basis. If mobile home parks could be created in Hawaii by entrepreneurs, then they could offer alternative locations to relocate mobile homes or manufactured homes.

It seems pretty heartless to the struggling low income people that the mobile and manufactured home are banned. I don't know if there is any other state that bans mobile or manufactured housing.

Another solution is the state could pass laws forbidding new construction in high lava zone areas, and the state could simply buy the land from the land owners, if the land owners were willing to sell the land to the state. The Hawaii taxpayers would probably be very happy to fund the land acquisition for the new state park.
it all becomes clear once you realize Hawaii is under virtual one party rule (Dimocrats). Government there is a farce.

Old 07-01-2018, 01:59 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Excessive rules and regulations. I was wondering why I didn't see any mobile or manufactured homes when driving around Hawaii.
Uh, or - the people of Hawaii aren't terribly interested in a bunch of trailer parks.

We also don't have billboards - should we allow those also?

Old 07-01-2018, 03:46 PM

74 posts, read 74,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokai100 View Post
Im just not getting the reason why we should keep putting houses on active rift zones. It was a bad idea. There is no doubt it was a bad idea. Why is anyone considering doing it again?
Because money and lawyers. Forbidding new developments is fine, but most of the existing developments are are still mostly vacant lots. People bought these lots with the understanding that they could build a house there someday. Forbid building and their $20K lot becomes utterly worthless (but still taxed!). Let the lawsuits begin.

Old 07-01-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Uh, or - the people of Hawaii aren't terribly interested in a bunch of trailer parks.

We also don't have billboards - should we allow those also?
Yes as s protected speech under Art.I, BOR.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:27 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Mobile Dwellings ARE allowed in Hawaii - read the Hawaii Revised Statues section 25:

Section 25-4-10. Mobile dwellings.
All mobile dwellings shall conform to the County building code (chapter 5 of this Code), and the Public
Health Housing Code (chapter 2 of the State public health regulations), except:
(1) When parked in a licensed mobile home park; or
(2) When occupied for dwelling or sleeping purposes outside of a licensed mobile home park for less
than thirty days in any one location.
(1996, Ord. No. 96-160, sec. 2; ratified April 6, 1999.)25-

Old 07-01-2018, 10:32 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Mobile Dwellings ARE allowed in Hawaii - read the Hawaii Revised Statues section 25:

Section 25-4-10. Mobile dwellings.
All mobile dwellings shall conform to the County building code (chapter 5 of this Code), and the Public
Health Housing Code (chapter 2 of the State public health regulations), except:
(1) When parked in a licensed mobile home park; or
(2) When occupied for dwelling or sleeping purposes outside of a licensed mobile home park for less
than thirty days in any one location.
(1996, Ord. No. 96-160, sec. 2; ratified April 6, 1999.)25-
Mobile dwellings are effectively banned as their are no licensed mobile home parks. And I'm not convinced you can obtain a licensed mobile home park permit to even make a trailer park.

And while I only did a quick glance, it appears Article 5, Zoning - doesn't wouldn't allow mobile homes due for many reasons including yard size, etc....

Old 07-01-2018, 11:44 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Hmm, I should go check what's required for a mobile home park. I have a friend trying to figure out how to make money from five acres, parking trailers on it might be the answer. I'm sure it would require multiple septic tanks since even the big ones only are good for about six bedrooms? But, as one of the only licensed mobile home parks, she's probably get renters. I'll have to go find out what it would require, although she may not want mobile homes in her pasture. It could be done nicely, though, I'd think. Not the usual line them up in static rows close together sort of thing. Maybe a nice pavilion and park area as well so they'd have a communal space to become a community.

Old 07-02-2018, 05:35 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,274,988 times
The mobile home and manufactured home lots rent for about $1,000 a month where my brother in law lives in Southern California. A brand new manufactured home, which is much nicer than a mobile home, costs as $110K, which is affordable for low income people. A used double wide mobile home can cost about as low as $20K. Although, paying $1,000 a month lot rent is similar to the monthly mortgage payment on a $300K home, the combination of the mobile home or manufactured home purchase and the lot rental costs are much more affordable than conventional single family housing in Southern California. The lots are pretty tight, but they have municipal water and sewer. Still, my brother in law has enough land for about 18 fruit trees and gardening areas. With the lot rental cost, garbage, water, and sewer service is included. There’s no property taxes. It costs about $200 a year for a “vehicle” tax on his home. So taxes are dirt cheap.

Many people live that way in Southern California. People live that way in Florida for less money. There are plenty of places in Hawaii where a mobile home park could be hidden from the main roadways if some people have their noses up in the air, and are personally offended by the sight of a mobile home park in their presence.

Mobile manufactured homes seems like a very practical solution for the occasional destruction of homes by the lava flows. Hurricanes are very rare in Hawaii, but mobile and manufactured homes are very common in Florida, which has a lot higher risk for hurricanes and tornadoes. It’s also a practical solution to make living in Hawaii more affordable for the vast majority of the population who are not wealthy.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:
The mobile home and manufactured home lots rent for about $1,000 a month where my brother in law lives in Southern California. A brand new manufactured home, which is much nicer than a mobile home, costs as $110K, which is affordable for low income people. A used double wide mobile home can cost about as low as $20K. Although, paying $1,000 a month lot rent is similar to the monthly mortgage payment on a $300K home, the combination of the mobile home or manufactured home purchase and the lot rental costs are much more affordable than conventional single family housing in Southern California. The lots are pretty tight, but they have municipal water and sewer. Still, my brother in law has enough land for about 18 fruit trees and gardening areas. With the lot rental cost, garbage, water, and sewer service is included. There’s no property taxes. It costs about $200 a year for a “vehicle” tax on his home. So taxes are dirt cheap.

Many people live that way in Southern California. People live that way in Florida for less money. There are plenty of places in Hawaii where a mobile home park could be hidden from the main roadways if some people have their noses up in the air, and are personally offended by the sight of a mobile home park in their presence.

Mobile manufactured homes seems like a very practical solution for the occasional destruction of homes by the lava flows. Hurricanes are very rare in Hawaii, but mobile and manufactured homes are very common in Florida, which has a lot higher risk for hurricanes and tornadoes. It’s also a practical solution to make living in Hawaii more affordable for the vast majority of the population who are not wealthy.
If you go to various sites that sell vessels, you'll note that old cruise ships are available. It seems to me FEMA could purchase some of them, rehab them with refugee habitation, rather than recreation, in mind, and when the need arises, park them where needed. Service could be gratis for a period (as a reasonable function of government) and then after that a sliding, but reasonable scale, for longer duration for people no longer in danger, but still not able to find land-based accommodation.

Here is but one example, for about $5Mhttp://cruiseship.homestead.com/90mCruiser1990.pdf

You might also offer, on a commercial basis, residency on such a vessel either moored and tied to a pier if an operator wants to take the leap.

I also read somewhere that retired people have taken up semi-permanent residency on operating cruise ships
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island