Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2007, 05:09 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,598,734 times

Advertisements

Thank you for the link Kalona. It's unfortunate that sex offenders are out there, it's not a perfect world, but it's somewhat a relief to know not many in Puna, considering there are about 40,000 people here.

Old 02-16-2007, 06:56 AM

376 posts, read 490,532 times
Default Questions from a mainland girl

Hi and Aloha!
I am currently living in the Phoenix, AZ area. I own a lot in Nanawale Estates and wondered if anyone had any knowledge about my subdivision. I kind of inherited this land and have never been there before. The land is untouched and I wondered what was involved in actually clearing a lot and building a home. (Financially and otherwise) Anyone think there is a better type of contruction than another as far as withstanding an earthquake, etc.? Also, I wondered if anyone could tell me how far away a beach that one could sunbathe on/swim would be? Could you ride a bike or would you have to drive? Is there cell or landline phone service and if so, who provides it? Is there cable TV and who provides that? What is involved to do catchment water? Also, septic? Any other information would be greatly appreciated. Oh, lastly, are there post office/shops nearby?
Mahalo!

Old 02-16-2007, 09:43 AM

18 posts, read 99,063 times
Default Living in Hawaii with Asthma

Aloha,

I was just wondering what you know about living in Hawaii with asthma? Is the climate better or worse for those with respiratory problems?

Mahalo,
jncsolis

Old 02-16-2007, 01:10 PM

259 posts, read 1,918,456 times
i know there is a problem with small children having asthma here....the summer months get quite humid (july-sept)...i would think these would be the worst months for allergies and asthma...

Old 02-16-2007, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanawaleJulie View Post
Hi and Aloha!
I am currently living in the Phoenix, AZ area. I own a lot in Nanawale Estates and wondered if anyone had any knowledge about my subdivision. I kind of inherited this land and have never been there before. The land is untouched and I wondered what was involved in actually clearing a lot and building a home. (Financially and otherwise) Anyone think there is a better type of contruction than another as far as withstanding an earthquake, etc.? Also, I wondered if anyone could tell me how far away a beach that one could sunbathe on/swim would be? Could you ride a bike or would you have to drive? Is there cell or landline phone service and if so, who provides it? Is there cable TV and who provides that? What is involved to do catchment water? Also, septic? Any other information would be greatly appreciated. Oh, lastly, are there post office/shops nearby?
Mahalo!
Aloha Julie, I used to live in Nanawale. It is a large area with varied topography and foliage, parts flat, part hilly, deep forest and bare rock. You may spend a lot of money clearing or very little depending on your particular lot. Regarding the most earthquake resistant construction, I prefer wood. The most costly damage from the October 'quake was to concrete and masonry structures, my wood house (and all my neighbors) rode it out fine. The closest swimming and sunbathing is at Kapoho, about 6 miles away, the closest sandy beach at Kehena, about 14 miles. T-mobile, Cingular and Verizon provide cell service, Hawaiian Tel landline. Part of Nanawale has Oceanic cable, many have Dishnet. With catchment, water is stored in a backyard tank then pumped and filtered into the house. Most of the new septic systems I've seen are the plastic type, seem to install quickly. Nanawale is about 2 miles from Downtown Pahoa, groceries, cafes, P.O. etc. The subdivision has a website, just google Nanawale.

Last edited by leilaniguy; 02-16-2007 at 05:02 PM..

Old 02-25-2007, 05:11 AM

Smile Thank you for your reply!

Lelainiguy you rock. I got a lot of my questions answered. Thank you for taking the time. Unfortuanetly, the Nanawale website is not updated in a regular manner whatsoever. In fact, the events on the home page are from like 2001. So, that is a dissapointment. I will have to travel to the area to see what I am in for. Anyone that has any insights into the area and what it is like to live there, that would be great. Is it true that the Nanawale area has less rain than the Hilo area? Where is the best place to look for employment? Thanks again, Julie

Old 02-28-2007, 02:55 AM

I forgot to ask if there is good high speed internet access in the subdivision, if so what is the provider? Do most people commute to Hilo or Kona for work? Is it true that it is more sunny and less rainy in Nanawale? (than other places in Puna, especially Hilo). I also wanted to know why you moved out of Nanawale? (If you do not mind sharing) Thanks Leilaniguy, You are truely a godsend. I am unable to visit the area for sometime and any information I can get from someone who knows is invaluable. If you ever need any info about the Scottsdale area or most of AZ, I am your girl. Thanks again, Julie

Old 03-01-2007, 11:19 AM

Aloha Julie. Roadrunner access is available with cable service in Nanawale, also Hawaiian tel thru phone. Many people commute to Hilo, about 20 miles, a few to Kona, but that is a 2.5-3 hour commute each way. The weather stats show Pahoa/Nanawale actually gets MORE rain than Hilo. I lived in Nanawale 1989-1990, moved back to Oregon for a few years. When I moved back here to Puna I bought in Leilani, 3 miles from Nanawale because it is acre lots and I'm a gardening fanatic and wanted more land.

Old 03-05-2007, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 5,921 times
Default Moving to Puna

My girlfriend and I are saving right now for a trip out to the Big Island. I know that the prices are too high in all districts except Puna and Ka'u so I'm looking at Puna and this forum has been fantastic for information. Of course, I would love to simply get the answer to where to buy from asking you LeilaniGuy, but I know it's not that easy. That is why I'm going to visit for approximately a week and while I'm there I'm going to either decide I don't want to move there anymore or I'm going to put in an offer on a piece of land. My whole trip is just to see land and the district in general. Drive around at different times of day and get the best idea I can of the neighborhood, roads, houses, terrain of the lot, etc.

My income will be from my internet business so I don't need to have a daily commute to Hilo, but I want to make sure I can get to the Farmer's Market, post office, the grocery store and hardware store and everywhere that I would need for once-weekly errands. I want to have at least an acre so I've been thinking about Hawaiian Paradise Park since it seems to be farily safe and pretty well developed. It's extremely important that I'm able to have a large garden with many fruit trees so elevation appears to also be an important factor. I want to keep my expenses to a minimum and will have solar and perhaps wind power whether I'm on electric or not. I have no kids and no plans for them so schools and daycare aren't a concern of mine. I just want to live simply and enjoy the weather and all the things I can grow, maybe with a dog.

It's not my goal to live a mainlander's life on The Big Island. People say it's just a rock in the middle of the ocean and maybe that's the case. But I'm sick of the rat race and keeping up with the Jones'. I hate that the more you make, the more you spend. I just want to be content and relaxed and a little detached from the rest of the regular folk who inhabit the lower 48.

Anyway, I'm doing as much research as I can online because Orlando and Puna are not exactly close and the cost of making a trip isn't cheap. But no matter how much research I do, I don't want to risk making a decision I regret as best I can, so a trip out there is the only option I can really see.

I hope to be living there within a year's time.

Old 03-06-2007, 05:04 PM

3 posts, read 19,963 times
Hi All,

The wife and I can't wait to re-visit the big island and this time our intent is to look at some land to buy for our retirement home, etc...Hawaiian Acres looks promising...anyway, I probably don't qualify to comment on this but I will anyway, In my opinion, people are too worried about lava, earthquakes and tsunami's, you really need to give yourself a "reality" check. without even looking at statistics, every year, more people die and homes destroyed from living in the mainland, i.e. Winter Storms - Hurricanes, Floods, Tornadoes', its fair share of heatwaves, not to mention plenty of crime and population (auto accidents) to deal with. In my humble opinion its a no brainer!!! Hawaii is the way to go!!! that being said, when we do build that dream home, it will be a Steel Framed home...I would recommend people looking into it...just google it. my personal choice will be tri-steel homes, but everyone should do their own due diligence...happy trails!!!!

Keith
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island