Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 05:58 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,598,734 times

Advertisements

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Prices are coming down, but are still much higher than a 3-4 years ago. It really was crazy here last year, like a feeding frenzy, wish I'd had some land to sell back then!

Old 08-05-2006, 08:14 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,658,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Prices are coming down, but are still much higher than a 3-4 years ago. It really was crazy here last year, like a feeding frenzy, wish I'd had some land to sell back then!

Thank you. It worked out ok. It's the price you pay.........heheh

Got crazy high here too. Median price got to 425K in Collier Cnty just south of here.

Not sure if Hawaii is ze place but am looking

Old 08-07-2006, 06:35 AM

5 posts, read 43,839 times
Default Thanks Testing123

Hi Testing:

I appreciate the words of wisdom and caution. Basically what I have found out in the things I hear about Hawaii and nearly everything else is that if you take the bad and the good and average it out, the truth lies somewhere in the middle (I guess that stats class in college was right!).

We are going to do the same as you as we are heading over to do some exploring this winter and move next spring if all works out. If you keep posting on this forum and learn other things I'd love to hear as I am sure many others would also.

Take Care

Joseph

Old 08-20-2006, 09:48 AM

2 posts, read 9,621 times
I have been looking at property on the Big Island for 5-6 years via the internet. The prices have really gone up.

The area I have been looking at is Nanawale Estates in the Puna Dist. Is it a secure area so far as the type of community it is or do I have to worry about someone squatting on the land while I am not there? My wife is a local girl and we live in AZ but want to retire back in HI.

Also, what is the volcano zone for insurance purposes. Can you give me any other useful info about the area?:

Old 08-20-2006, 01:24 PM

Default nanawale

Aloha hawaiian@heart. There is an active homeowners association that keeps campers and squatters out of Nanawale so that's not a problem. Most of the subdivision does not have piped water, most homes catch rainwater. Electricity is available to all lots. It is in lava zone 2. Some areas have Albizia trees, which can be a cause for concern, and the coqui frogs have recently invaded. There are many new homes going in. The subdivision has a few basic requirements for building -800 sq. ft. minimum house, covered parking for 2 cars, all work to be finished in 1 year, no livestock. (chickens). It is the closest subdivision to Pahoa town which makes it very convenient. Be sure not to buy sight unseen, some lots have craters, lava tubes, cliffs, etc. that would make building difficult if not impossible.

Old 08-20-2006, 05:20 PM

2 posts, read 9,621 times
Thanks for the heads up. I was on the Big Island 2 weeks ago and did a lot of looking around. We currently live in AZ. We really like the open, tropical look of the west side of the Island. People there still had a lot of Aloha, not like Oahu. It is like California. What are the trees you mentioned?

We fell in love with Mountain View, but haven't found anything listed that we can afford. I REALLY LOVE plantation style houses. Even if they need work, I am pretty handy at fixing things up. My house here is 100 years old and would have been torn down If I hadn't bought it.

Any suggestions??

Old 08-21-2006, 02:03 AM

Default more about nanawale

Aloha. Albizia trees are probably the the biggest trees you'll see here in Hawaii. They're voracious, fast growing invaders from The Philippines, look like silk tree/mimosa, are very common in Puna, grow 100+' tall and just as wide, 10+ feet thick at the base, fast growers, very brittle, white flowers, tiny leaves, drop leaves and branches constantly, dangerous to live near. (I have a friend who's house in Nanawale was recently nearly crushed by an Albizia tree limb that fell from 2 lots away from his home.) About Mt. View, most of the old Kama'aina places for sale are right on the main highway. I think they are way over priced IMHO. There are many large subs. that have much cheaper prices just off the hiway. There is a company in Hilo that moves old houses from
Hilo to the countryside occasionally. There is a trust interested in saving/moving old/historic homes/ buildings on Big Island, Sorry, I don't have their info at this time.

Last edited by leilaniguy; 08-21-2006 at 02:13 AM..

Old 08-23-2006, 03:40 PM

5 posts, read 31,989 times
Exclamation Regarding those real estate agents...

Hi Smurfette,

Regarding those real estate agents...
"My real estate agent really likes MLE and keeps steering me toward there."

--Yeah, we've noticed some 'steering' too by agents, only in different directions. I think it all depends on where those agents have the most listings. If you ask another agent who primarily has listings in say, HOVE (which we did) they will swear by that particular community too. So you'd better be careful. I think they all have their plusses AND MINUSES.

Get a "buyer's agent" to represent you and make offers. And don't let him/her talk you into buying one of his (or his office's) listings. Find another agent in that case. They'll send you maps and brochures in the mail to make you feel indebted. That's nice, but...
Many listings now say "Must Sell! -- Make an offer!" --that's an interesting sign...

Ask lots of questions first and don't rush.

ALSO:
Study Up! Read articles in HI newspapers like:

hawaiitribune-herald
starbulletin
honoluluadvertiser (add "dot com")

--Search for articles; type in keywords such as:

"Big Island, Puna, Pahoa, Kurtistown, Mountain View, neighborhood, real estate, traffic, road, community, taxes, electricity, service, hospital, police, crime, criminal, home, lot, etc." --Some 'interesting' things come up!

Have a smurfy day and watch out for Gargamel.

Last edited by testing123; 08-23-2006 at 03:48 PM..

Old 09-04-2006, 03:17 PM

1 posts, read 4,820 times
Aloha I'm looking for info about either moving my canvas and awning shop from Key West Fl to BI somewhere or selling and starting again Any help about demand or/and competition thanks Moe

Old 09-04-2006, 06:16 PM

Default awnings, sailmakers

Aloha CocoaMoe. I just looked in the BI phone book yellowpages, counted 9 upholstery shops, just 1 awning shop listed islandwide. The only sailmaker listed was in Kakaako, which is on another island, Oahu. Please come visit first and scope the place out for awhile before you make any decision to move, Hawaii isn't for everybody.

Last edited by leilaniguy; 09-04-2006 at 06:17 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island