Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 11:58 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,595,659 times

Advertisements

Aloha. Puna is the district south of Hilo, contains the towns of Pahoa, Keaau, Mountainview and Volcano. It is about 25 miles in each direction, slightly smaller than Oahu, but with only about 40 thousand people at this time. Parts are as wet as Hilo, other areas are quite dry, especially the south coast. There are many subdivisions with acreage lots, though electricity is spotty in some parts, with some of the more remote areas off power. Keaau has a small shopping center, Pahoa has a brand new one. Hilo has Walmart, Home Depot. Costco is over in Kona, but there is talk of one coming to the Hilo area. Oceanview is east of Puna in Kau district, has great views, but is rocky, remote, (60+ miles to Kona or Hilo one way) and very dry, most people living there have water problems, since residents either catch rain off their roofs or buy water by the truckload. To bring your animals you will need rabies certificates from your vet. You can get an estimate of moving costs by contacting one of the shipping companies like Matson.

Old 05-20-2006, 03:33 PM

1 posts, read 8,367 times
Default Puna, Hawaii

Puna is a huge diverse area. This one district (the Big Island has 9 districts) is about the same size as the whole island of O'ahu. [moderator CUT]

Last edited by Marka; 05-21-2006 at 12:43 AM..

Old 05-26-2006, 01:52 AM

I made a glaring mistake in my last post, Oceanview is west of Puna, not east. Sorry!

Old 05-26-2006, 02:50 PM

3 posts, read 31,842 times
I just saw some properties advertised in Leilani Estates. I know you recommend it. Can you tell me what the soil is like there? I imagine still lots of lava rock and thin soil cover. How long does it take to establish shade trees and shrubs. Have you seen anyone building with pre fab materials? What size lot is necessary for reasonable privacy, 1, 2 or 3 acres?

Thanks again

RetiredGuyInPanama

Old 05-26-2006, 05:34 PM

Leilani is very rocky for the most part, situated on lava flows several hundred years old. Most of it is incredibly lush however, with 80-100' ohia trees and giant tree ferns, very wet. It is six miles to the ocean. It is between 650' and 1000' elevation, high enough to not need AC, but warm enough not to need heat. Trees and shrubs grow very fast with just a little cinder and humus dumped on them. There are some metal homes in the subdivision, and panelised concrete. There are companies offering package homes; mainland style, bamboo, teak. I have 1 acre, very private. Most of the lots are 100'x435', some are square. I should note Leilani is in lava zone 1, higher risk than other areas with fire insurance available, but capped at $250,000.

Old 05-27-2006, 08:09 PM

3 posts, read 31,842 times
Any idea how I can contact the companies offering package homes?

Old 05-28-2006, 01:11 AM

Here are some of the package home suppliers in Hilo and Puna; Bamboo Technologies, Big Island Package homes, Castleblock, Honsador Lumber, HPM Building Supply, Teak-Bali, Trojan Lumber. This website doesn't allow posting of url's, but most of these businesses have websites, you can find them with search, just type in "Hilo Hawaii" after each company name.

Old 06-04-2006, 01:16 PM
GTH

1 posts, read 8,331 times
Leilaniguy, You seem to have a lot of knowledge and love about living on the Big Island.
I have a few questions,

My wife and I are in the process of moving there . We have been there a few times doing research. We like North Kolaha ( Hawi, Kapa'au). We also like Hamakua and North Hilo, but those will be too far I fear. (maybe Waimea) because I will be working for the one of the big resorts. I am looking for land ( .5 acre or larger to build a 1500sft home)
We also have a new daughter, so schools will be a factor. I grew up in Oahu and schools were OK for me, my older sister did experience some racism then (we're haoles), but I think things are much different for a child to grow up there now, what do you think?
So, If you can provide us with your opinons about those areas or point us in the right direction that would be great. Any other web resources, forums?
Please PM or email me links if you
can not post them. Mahalo, Glenn and Jen

Old 06-04-2006, 02:36 PM

North Kohala is beautiful, the views take my breath away, but so do the prices of homes and land. I'll email you the local mls website and local forums.

Old 06-07-2006, 12:39 AM

4 posts, read 42,111 times
Default re:schools

Schools are a big factor wherever you go. Racism can be a problem in any area of Hawaii. In both directions. I would either talk to the Department of Education or directly with the schools if you want to find out if there is a problem there.

michael
www.punaguide.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island