Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2006, 09:08 PM

1 posts, read 6,008 times

Advertisements

Mahalo to Leilaniguy for his honest love for Puna and surrounding area. I came across this forum while looking for something else but happen to be planning to move to "The Wet Side" after building a house in Leilani Estates.
We currently have a home in So Kona , which we have just put on the market. We are downsizing and looking forward to real retirement in Leilaniguy's area.
Mahalo for all the good info. you have offered.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:04 PM

2 posts, read 12,012 times
Default We're interested in Hawaiian Acres too

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachWalker View Post
We are very interested in the profile of Hawaiian Acres in the Puna District.

I guess that would pertain to elevation and temperature, distance to the coast or any decent beach, and any pros and cons.

How close is Hawaiian Acres to the current and past lava flow and possible future lava flows.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve
Hi, this is a GREAT thread! Thanks Leilani Guy and everyone else that has given input. I've just discovered this thread while surfing around for any tidbit of information about the Puna area, esp Hawaiian Acres, before we actually visit and consider purchasing land (We are in Los Angeles County, CA). I think it's great to hear the negatives as much as the positives about living in Puna. I'm kinda sick of the R.E. agents saying, this is a must see, you found our secret on the Big Island, don't miss this opportunity! etc, etc.

I've been trying to find out why the Hawaiian Acres area is much less $$$ compared to other areas, for example, you can find 3 acres of land in H.A for $40K, and 8014 Sq Ft of land in Nanawale Estates for $26K...that's a big difference! Is there much more flooding in Hawaiian Acres? Are there more Squatters? Or crime/drugs compared to other places? Or is it simply that most settlement hasn't gotten around to that area just yet?

This is a question to everyone out there who has purchased land recently in the Puna Area, how hard is it to get disclosures about the property before purchase? How hard is it to get permits for different things, such as septic systems, and what about the soil conditions for building?

Has anyone considered building a home, then renting it out, or finding a timeshare association to share the home with others? We've been to Oahu, and Kauai, and we fell in love with the lushness of Kauai, but the prices there are too steep. From the sounds of it, Puna area seems much like Kauai, with lots of rain and lush tropics. We are looking into a vacation home type of situation.

Will the real estate/land prices lower as the entire nation is facing some cooling off as a whole? Or will it keep acsending in price because of the demand?

I apologize for the long post, but I like to get as much info as I can before taking a flight out to see more for myself. Thank you in advance for all of your inputs!

Janice

Old 09-25-2006, 02:24 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,598,734 times
Default About Hawaiian acres

Aloha Janice. Here's what I know: Nanawale has many paved roads, some piped water, is very close (2-3 miles) to stores and services in Pahoa village, has electricity, phone and cable. Hawaiian Acres is miles across in each direction, has 2 narrow paved roads, one at the top, one at the bottom. The rest are 1 lane dirt and rock jeep roads. Much of the area has NO electricity. The closest supermarket is in Keaau village, several miles downhill. There is a small part of the sub. running from top to bottom that floods nearly every year, these are probably the cheapest lots, but may be useless. The subdivision does have a community center and firehall. Hawaiian acres is almost all 3 acre parcels 150' X 871'. The county of Hawaii still allows cesspools for sewerage on lots over 1 acre in size. It's just a hole blasted in the lava with a concrete lid. As far as soil, there is little or none, mostly 2 types of lava, crumbly A'a and smooth Paho'eho'e, but most anything will grow in it with all the rain.The area doesn't seem to be any more crime ridden than any other area in Puna. I lived there myself on the back road, in 1991-92. My home was pleasant but remote, off power, and a real pain to get to sometimes, especially in monsoon downpours, when I had to ford a river that wasn't there the day before. There are some very pretty areas in H.A. however, that do have electric and don't flood. I don't know of any timeshares here at all in Puna, still mostly rural. Land prices are continuing to drop as of Sept. 24. If you are interested in finding out more about HA google the Hawaiian Acres Association website. L.

Old 09-25-2006, 06:54 PM

2 posts, read 12,012 times
Smile Mahalo!

Thank you Leilaniguy for your local wisdom. We are considering the lower regions of road 7 between F and G. I have gleaned that those areas have deeper soil. It will be important to us since we are interested in organic farming. The HACA website History was very informational. Thank you.

Janice

Old 10-06-2006, 12:32 PM

4 posts, read 20,840 times
Red face Aloha Leilaniguy

I currently live just outside of Key west and am looking at an old place in Honomu. What can you tell me about the area? I'm retired and my daughter is moving out there but to Kailua. I like a less dry atmosphere and more mountainous (especially after living down here where I am directly on the ocean with a world of "flat" around me).

Old 10-06-2006, 04:27 PM

Default Honomu

Aloha baydolphins. Honomu is about 12 miles north of Hilo, and about 1/2 mile above the highway. It is an old sugar town, very quaint, though maybe a little down at the heels, with a few old tin roofed false front stores, churches, a buddhist temple and a big empty movie theater. It is on the route to Akaka Falls park, a few miles above town. There are some nice ocean views from there, no beach or ocean access though, this is high cliff area. Very hilly, very wet, but warm, with good trade winds. Try googling Honomu images for pictures.

Old 10-08-2006, 07:48 AM

4 posts, read 20,840 times
Default Honomu

Thanks Leilaniguy! You certainly appear to be the Kona Wizard. Well, what you have described doesn't sound particuarly promising. Buying property when the community is in a downward spiral may not be wise. How far is it from Kailua? I am not a fan of dry and sparse, I already have that in the lower Keys.

I do love the idea of a view of the ocean (from HIGH up), since I live on the ocean and suffered through Wilma and her 10 storm surge that took out my dock, walls downstairs, pool etc. Its all been repaired and we have been lucky so far but I have no interest in having oceanfront proeprty again.

From what I have seen of Puna it seems more volcanic than lush. I don't think that is the direction I am interested in but its nice to hear someone local voice positive things about the place they live in. Thanks for your help.

Old 10-08-2006, 12:06 PM

2 posts, read 7,934 times
Default questions about leilani

Leilani guy:

Thank you for your previous post and insite. I am curious about some things in Leilani.

do you know if association fees, unimproved property tax and possible road maintinance fees remain the same for new buyers?

are mother in law houses allowed in the back of a main house?

what plats or plots that have`nt been dozed considered less rocky?

is it true that a land owner cannot rent?

to have an active association and you is comfort to those who are new and have no freinds or familly there.

Old 10-08-2006, 04:59 PM

Default about leilani

Aloha.The Leilani association dues pay for road maintainance, the park, and mowing the rights-of-way throughout the subdivision. It is an annual fee of about $60, and is the same for a home or a vacant lot. Leilani's covenants allow a guest house, but only 1 kitchen per lot. The only part of the sub.that has soil is at the far west end, the far end of Leilani Ave. and Mohala St. The rest is almost all rock, but most anything will grow like mad here. There is a state law that requires that owner-builders must wait 1 year after final permitting before renting or selling a house, however if you buy a preexisting home or have it built by a licensed contractor, the law doesn't apply. There are no subdivision rules about renting out a house. The Leilani association is not a very social organization, more like a governing body, it's not really a good place to meet many people.

Old 10-09-2006, 02:08 AM

Default look in upper Kona maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by baydolphins2003 View Post
I am not a fan of dry and sparse, I already have that in the lower Keys.

I do love the idea of a view of the ocean,from HIGH up
Aloha again baydolphins, since your daughter is already relocating to Kailua, you might consider looking in Holualoa, in the highlands above Kona, or farther south, at Keahou, Kealakekua, or Captain Cook, towns that are higher up, a little cooler, greener, and still fairly close to Kailua-Kona, or maybe look at Kamuela in the north, far from the ocean, but lush. BTW, most of these places are at least 75 miles closer to your daughter than Honomu!

Last edited by Marka; 10-09-2006 at 03:42 AM.. Reason: repaired code
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island