Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2007, 04:40 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,598,734 times

Advertisements

Mahalo jncsolis, but I would never claim to know anything about the other Islands, all are different, I've only been to Oahu a few times, Maui just once, never to the other isles. I don't even know that much about Kona, on the other side of my island. There is a world of difference between here and there. Konafriend is much more knowledgeable about west Hawaii than I am.

Last edited by leilaniguy; 01-16-2007 at 04:43 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-19-2007, 03:20 PM

18 posts, read 99,063 times
You are right leilani guy, I should be saying mahalo to all that gave input regarding Hawaii. So, Mahalo to all that contributed information and answered questions on this thread! It was great to learn and read all that was posted and leilaniguy, mahalo for all your info on the Puna area. All of it was definitely food for thought in our preparations for our move.

Old 01-19-2007, 10:06 PM

37 posts, read 185,538 times
Default Teaching Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranSchaefle View Post
Hello all -- I enjoy reading the board, and reviewing the information.

I have a job offer for teaching (Special education ) for Hawaii, and I've indicated specific preference for the Big Island. I also have worked as an administrator in the educational system here in IL. Realistically, I know that we are looking at the Hilo side of the island, as housing is much more expensive in other areas. I will be taking a pay cut as Hawaii DOE only gives 6 years experience. Are there schools, or areas that I should steer clear of in regard to schools? Is there much gang influence in any of the schools (away from Oahu)? What seems to be two or three of the problem areas that any of you perceive in the education system there? How well is it funded?

I have a concern about taking a position, as they can guarantee the position, but not the necessary locations until May/June. School starts the end of July. We had hoped to be able to visit during March/spring break and possibly begin the process of purchasing a home (looking in the Puna area), but do not know if that will be feasible if I do not know in what school I will be teaching. How realistic is it to think we might be able to rent for 6 months when relocating? What are areas to stay away from in regard to renting? How much would a 2-3 bedroom home or condo/apt run on a lease? I also have a 12 year old going into 8th grade next year, and would want to assure he was going to an adequate school. We will greatly reduce our household to ship, but may have to ship and store until we find adequate housing. Are there storage lockers/ facilities easily accessible? We also plan to ship at least one car, and possibly purchase another one and ship it as it seems to still be a little less costly to ship than to buy over there? Is that an adequate assessment for cars? We would be making payments on the 2nd car.

I am also very concerned about the idea of catchment water vs county or private water. Can you help me understand the pro's and con's of each? My husband will need to have consistent internet for his job. We will have to finance, so I imagine that the Lava zone 2 or 3 is required, and that we will not be able to finance a home that is not permitted.

Thanks for your time in reading this lengthy missive. Aloha, Fran
Hi Fran,

I'm in a similar position as yourself. I have a lot of your same questions. I currently live in the Pacific Northwest and am considering a move to the Hilo area. I'm a Special Education teacher and a Realtor. I have 8 years teaching experience, a bachelors in SPED and a M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction (Language and Literacy concentration). I've emailed my resume to the recruiter in Hawaii and received an email to download the official application. Did you interview in Illinois or in Hawaii? It sounds like finding a job in Special Education there will be relatively easy, but I do wonder why there is a shortage. I'm also concerned about not being able to pick where I will be teaching. I don't want someone to dictate where I live.

I have been doing research on the internet of course, and will be visiting the Big Island the first week in April (Spring Break) to look around and investigate real estate. Please let me know how things go for you and where you end up working and living. You sound farther into the process than I am.

My fiance is actually in Kona right now on a 30 hr layover and I have him picking up every real estate brochure and anything he can get his hands on to bring home to me. He is a flight attendent and can live anywhere. He commutes to Phoenix to start his trips. The commute from where we live now to Phoenix will be about the same as commuting from Hilo or Kona. So, as long as I can find a job, we will be in good shape.

Beth

Old 01-20-2007, 07:09 AM

2 posts, read 9,496 times
Default Hawaiian Island Paradise Park, MT. View

Aloha,
Anyone live in Hawaiian Island Paradise Park subdivision ?
I have a lot there and am going to build a small bamboo house, just wondering
how much trouble the county will give me regarding composting toilets and bamboo structures. Also, any idea how bad the crime is ?? Lived on Maui for years and then Honolulu before the cost drove me out.

Old 01-20-2007, 11:05 AM

4 posts, read 35,883 times
Beth - This board has provided good insight, and some bits of knowledge to make sure to check things out. I have 14 years teaching and another 10 in social services and counseling prior to that. THe only down side is that they will only give you credit for 6 years, so if I for sure decide to go, it will be with a significant pay cut. I interviewed in Chicago, and have a contract for "somewhere" on the Big Island - I have indicated the Hilo/Puna area as that is the most reasonable in housing costs. The recruiter and I have emailed and he indicated he would probably be able to know the locations by end of April, and it seemed he would work with my areas of choice where possible. Puna area to Hilo is a 30 min commute or there abouts - but there is still just one main road. I commute 30 min one way now - part of living in suburbia. My husband can work anywhere as well, as he is a business analyst for a global computer company. So it getting me settled and two of our (blended) 7 children that will be the priority. Two oldest boys in the Marines, two oldest girls married and settled in IL and IN, one girl graduating high school early (this spring) and going to college in IL, a son that is a freshmen in college (who hates the cold and was beginning to say his goodbyes to folks as soon as I had the contract) who will be attending college in Hilo, and the youngest son - who will be going into 8th grade. He is a concern, as the school system in Hawaii is definately struggling, and we currently live in Naperville, IL (#1 place to live as a family) where 90 % meet in Reading and 85% meet in math when it comes to high stakes testing. SO I've contacted the charter school in Pahoa, but haven't heard back yet as far as where he'll attend.
I also lived on the Big Island just out of high school (so its been a LONG while), and lived in Kona, working the first time over for a year as a nanny, and then about a year later after being miserable and cold decided school could wait yet again and returned for another year to work as a photographers assistant. I have some knowledge of living on an island, and of the warmth of the people when you are genuine and open. I have experience moving as well, as post highschool and then college - I've lived in Utah, So CA., SO Texas, and Illinois- so adapting to change and new locations is exciting to me (after getting the classroom up and running!)
I know from the suggestions here it is recommended to go and visit a couple of times to the area in which you will be living. Hilo side is more agriculture as opposed to tourist industry on the Kona side, also from what I've monitored and read-- wetter, and a little cooler. Not as many swimming beaches, but still Hawaii sun most days, and beaches when you want to go to them. We are staying at a bed and breakfast in Keeau area for the week of spring break (a week before yours). There have been issues at the Keeau High school recently with some violence, not sure if it is drug related. Sounds like similar issues as go on in many high schools, but I am used to having an officer in the building assigned from local PD to handle truancy, drug searches, etc. We also have hall monitors and check id's of anyone coming into the building - procedures put in place a few years ago. THere are shortage areas all over in SPE, however, it does appear that there is a huge need in Hawaii - could be that like Texas several years ago, the need to meet compliance standards for OSEP means a greater need for special educators. Aloha, Fran

Old 01-24-2007, 01:39 PM

16 posts, read 71,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredGuyInPanama View Post
Leilaniguy

Aloha!

Are there any subdivisions that should be avoided because of drugs or drug dealers? I was warned to stay away from Fern Acres for example.

Most of the subdivisions are changing quickly from say 10 years ago. Yes Fern acres is still more wild west than say Leilani. Back in the day, Leilani was bad - now it is retired hippies with trust funds!

Do you have any idea what the cost of construction per square foot is?

Ballpark huh? Depends on your ballpark - little league park down the street or yankee stadium --- that said $125-200 gives both sides i think.

Is there a construction material of choice (wood, cement, brick, bamboo, adobe, etc.)?

probably not adobe - too wet but otherwise personally preference

I assume air conditioning is not necessary?

depend son point of view - i live on the ocean and a few days in august would be nice to have A/C - otherwise no need.

How difficult is it for new arrivals to fit in?

Depends on you. the main theme to not repeat is "in (name of state), we do it this way".... toto youre not in kansas anymore! ha ha

My wife is into bird watching. I assume there is a large variety of interesting birds in addition to the Nene?

Bird watchers paradise!

What activities are available for retired folks?

Again depends on what you mean by retired.... a retired 55 y/o or 80? And also what you like to do - hiking, swimming, nature things abound

Thanks in advance for your reply.
Your welcome! You can email me at cdumond@ hotmail.com put the word "aloha: in the subject line!

Old 01-29-2007, 10:58 AM

4 posts, read 29,707 times
Smile HPP Insurance, Taxes & other questions. ;o)

Aloha!

I know it depends on many factors.. but I just want to get a ballpark figure for what to expect. I am planning to purchase a home in the Hawaiian Paradise Park area and would like to know from local residents who currently live there what their taxes and insurance are like? I am a first time home buyer and would like to know what to expect for these expenses.

In HPP is there cable service? Or do most people have satellite dish? For Internet access in your home.. what kind of services are available?

I understand that the beaches in this area is not safe and mostly cliff like settings..etc... How far is it to the closest safe beach where my young children can swim?

Thank you so much in advance to anyone who answers this post!

Old 01-29-2007, 03:00 PM

4 posts, read 29,707 times
Default PeeWee Football?

Aloha Again!

Just wondering if there are any PeeWee Football leagues there in Hilo?

Thank you!

4everislandgirl

Old 02-08-2007, 10:23 AM

10 posts, read 61,069 times
Aloha Leilaniguy,

I am moving to Volcano in April and wonder if there are recommendations for renting an inexpensive car while I await my Jeep's arrival by ship. The major rentals at the airport are costly, and I noticed the phone book has some car rental places in Hilo. Are any of these recommended to call, or to avoid?

Thank you! Kalona

Old 02-08-2007, 02:58 PM

16 posts, read 71,957 times
Default Hpp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everislandgirl View Post
Aloha!

I know it depends on many factors.. but I just want to get a ballpark figure for what to expect. I am planning to purchase a home in the Hawaiian Paradise Park area and would like to know from local residents who currently live there what their taxes and insurance are like? I am a first time home buyer and would like to know what to expect for these expenses.
try this website for taxes : http://www.hawaiipropertytax.com/template.asp?page=2003taxrates.htm&mnu=Home&submnu =CurTaxRate (broken link)

Insurances seems to be running in the $2K or less depending on lava zone.

Quote:
In HPP is there cable service? Or do most people have satellite dish? For Internet access in your home.. what kind of services are available?
Some cable service, some wireless DSl, and definately dish! Depends on location of your street.

Quote:
I understand that the beaches in this area is not safe and mostly cliff like settings..etc... How far is it to the closest safe beach where my young children can swim?
Hot ponds are easy on the kids but because warm have issues with staph at times. otherwise, the other side is the big beach areas. Also there is Shipman beach at the bottom and north of HPP. A bit of a walk but i did it with 6 year olds in 45 minutes.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island