Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2007, 10:02 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,339,568 times

Advertisements

With the concluding of my Hawaii real estate career and my impending move, I'm posting a few thoughts. I may add to these:
__________________________________________________ _______________
When looking for property in Puna, ask yourself what utilities you're willing to do without, if at all.

Most subdivisions are on catchment. This is a huge issue, don't gloss over it. We don't have such thing as sewer. Old houses often have cesspools. Septic is now code.

Mail delivery to your door is only available in one area of subdivisions(Hawaiian Shores/Beaches).

How much do you like rain? Even in the "dry" parts of Puna, it rains a LOT! If you happen to catch the area in a stretch of several dry days, it's unusual. It's pretty easy to tell which areas are the rainiest. I'm still not used to getting caught in a deluge...which happens a lot.

Don't take for granted that power will be strung to your property, even if it's on the next street. When in doubt, Contact HELCO. Also, if it's available there may be an SSPP fee, find out what it is. Don't assume anything about the road maintenance (or lack thereof). Scrutinize your neighbors well. I can't emphasize this enough.

Never assume there are utilities of any kind, period. Be realistic about living off-grid. It's definitely feasable, however you must invest substantial money into a decent system, 40k will do you for a custom home. Anything less is generally substandard.

There's no such thing as regular refuse service. Either you haul it or you pay someone with a pickup to come around for it. Be careful if you choose the latter. I've been ripped off this way.

Never fear if there's no cable, you can get DISH and they install for free. They will give you a free HD reciever too. Satellite broadband is now available as well, from a different company.

FYI, AOL had only 2 dialup numbers for the whole island.

Regarding all these "cheap subdivisions"...
Around the time of statehood, many subdivisions were created, lining the developer's pockets with quick buck. Infastructure was not created. They never imagined anyone living in these places. Pick a subdivision, it was probably created the way I described. Nobody is waiting to bring in paved streets, curbs, gutters, utilities...the things you're used to. What you see is what you get in most cases. Some like Hawaiian Acres vary widely from nice custom homes to enclaves of shacks and junk cars. HPP was pretty seedy when I was a kid and I can't believe how it's cleaned up. Fern Forest is still the subdivision of choice for the Unibomber types. It and Eden Roc are two places...how shall I say it...that marijuana is not only accepted but embraced. If that's what you're into, check it out. Hawaiian Island Paradise Acres has the honor (at least with me) for being the scariest subdivision in Puna. Black Sand Beaches kinda scares me too...although I know people who live there who will bash me for saying so. Same thing with Tiki Gardens. Ice is the operative word...

Californians: Love what you find the way it is. You're not going to change anything. Repeat, you're not going to bring what you love from your home and push it on your neighborhood. It's not gonna happen. Try it and you will become bitter and frustrated and end up packing up and going home. Over half of the Californians who move here go home within the first year. The rest usually leave by 3 years. Very few actually stay. I'm not making this up. Come here because it's completely different than what you're leaving and because YOU LIKE IT THE WAY IT IS. Mold to the island, don't try to get it to mold to you. You'll lose. Love your street. Don't try to clean up the junk cars in the neighbor's yard. Don't try to "do something" about anything in the neighborhood beyond neighborhood watch duties. Oh...I'm a Californian.

Build vs. Existing: I can't emphasise just how difficult it is to get a house built here. If you choose to do this, you must absolutely do this being present or very nearby the site every day. Never attempt to have ANYTHING construction wise done from off-island. Money most certainly does NOT talk here. Sometimes people won't do things for any amount of money which infuriates mainlanders. There are competent contractors on the island...I just haven't found one yet. I'm still looking and I'm in the business.

Regarding existing structures....there's nothing wrong with single wall if you have a good roof and it's not termite infested. We have no blistering heat or bone-chilling cold to keep out. Remember, some people live in tents here. Single Wall and jelousies will do you fine.

Regarding the people living in tents and shacks...
Some subdivisions won't do anything about it. Others like Hawaiian Shores Recreational Estates and others have CC&R's that prevent it. The last shack I saw in Leilani was about 3 years ago. If there are any, I haven't seen them. Hawaiian Acres, Fern Forest, Eden Roc...just a few that are full of shacks. The former has been improving. Rule of thumb is to just assume the neighborhood will stay that way or get worse.

Aren't there any "mainland style" neighborhoods in Puna? Sort of. Hawaiian Shores Rec. Estates has all utilities including water, cable, mail delivery and an active community association. It's the closest you'll find.

Regarding cost of living: durable and consumable goods will shock you. Whenever I'm on the mainland, I go hog wild in the grocery store. I find cost of living, housing excluded, to be 200-300% higher for us than it was in L.A. our house payments are 50% higher than what our rent was in Pasadena.

Availability: You'll find yourself missing many things here. Think of all the things you love and then imagine never, ever being able to have most of them. It sounds harsh but you need to do this.

Regarding missing home:
This is the most isolated inhabited spot on earth. Your loved ones are most likely somewhere else. You will also become acutely aware of being on a rock (hence: rock fever). I tell my clients relocating here to budget for at least 3 (possibly 4) trips home within the next year and for each year thereafter. At least 1 big trip home MINIMUM and even that won't be enough. The trips become less emotional with more frequency. Chances are you'll either not want to come back here or can't wait to get back here. For many it becomes a case of what do they love more: their families and loved ones or the island?

The Big Split: In my household and many others, one person will love it here and the other will hate it and want to move home. This has ended many marriages. It put a serious damper on ours for more than a couple years. Fortunately we've reached a compromise or sorts (we're going back and keeping a home here). This was after 2 years of tearful fights.

Culture: This is another country. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. You'll either acclimate or not. Expect some blank stares at the dropping of cultural references or familiar jokes. You'll find your vibe to be much more important than the Degree on your wall. If you're looking for tons of "culture" here, you may have to readjust your tastes. Theatre, live music, poetry readings, traditional museums...mostly not here. You'll find a perplexing mix of what many brought to this rock, most of it will feel fairly unfamiliar for most. Like I stated previously, mold yourself to the island, don't try to do vice versa. If you're staying, it's you that will change, not Hawaii...and change you will if you're staying.

Last edited by Sorcerer68; 03-07-2007 at 10:10 PM..

Old 03-08-2007, 02:46 PM

3 posts, read 19,963 times
Default thank you!

Sorcerer,

Thank you very much for the valuable insight and words of experience. I have much time to spend going over this forum and reading every bit of pro's and cons...I have had the fortune to find some very good information regarding catchement systems,...
http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/ctahr200...bs09.asp#Water
is a great link to all kinds of resources on tropical living...
Heres some thoughts of my own...One will always have to adjust to the "local" issues wherever it is they may live. I grew up in San Diego and moved around Southern California most of my life but recently spent a year in New England and can see how people adjust to all the "issues" there. I guess I'm very lucky in a sense because I have moved quite a bit and lived in many locations in and out of the United States...no matter what situation you are in...period, its what you make of it...educate yourself and understand your environment.
as for change, well, change is one of the only constants in this universe and although it can move at the pace of a snail, it will happen, it is just a matter of time...and one can never be too patient...30-50 years ago, Oahu was no different than the rest of Hawaii...its all about supply and demand...eventually people will realize there is an economy to cater too and things will grow as necessary...sorry for the rambling!!!

Regards,
Keith

Old 03-11-2007, 07:41 AM

5 posts, read 21,364 times
Default Looking for Responsible Realtor

[quote=pukaboy;12148]And toward the pursuit of life on a rock...Have you used this guy, will he work with people remotely? How do you know him?[/QUOTE

Same question as above. Live in NY. Need honest, professional, responsible realtor to investigate properties for us. Is this a reasonable request?

Thanks!

Old 03-11-2007, 12:17 PM

13 posts, read 159,883 times
Default Realtor

[quote=Linn;445645]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pukaboy View Post
And toward the pursuit of life on a rock...Have you used this guy, will he work with people remotely? How do you know him?[/QUOTE

Same question as above. Live in NY. Need honest, professional, responsible realtor to investigate properties for us. Is this a reasonable request?

Thanks!
i would suggest you check out hilo brokers. i know i have seen one of their brokers (john petrella) actually post every once in a while in this forum. i have worked with them for going on 2 years now, including the first 6 months through emails and dvd's they sent me while i was still in california. i purchase a house from them am in getting ready to purchase another house and am i negotiations for some commercial property and they have been nothing but professional and honest. i also set up a small intranet for them so i got to know most of the agents outside the sales cycle and they are a great bunch of people.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:07 PM

7 posts, read 42,018 times
Default Lava Flow Insurance Question...

Can anyone living in Puna give me a rough estimate of what their lava flow insurance costs (per month or per year)? I've found a house I love in Leilani Estates but I see that's lava zone 1. There's another one I like in Hawaiian Beaches (lava zone 2) and the price of the home is a lot less than the one in Leilani estates... Hawaiian Paradise park is lava zone 3 so I'm tempted to look for a house there. But I'd appreciate some feedback from those already living in these areas & how much they pay for insurance. Thanks in advance!

Old 03-12-2007, 07:07 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessilizzi View Post
Can anyone living in Puna give me a rough estimate of what their lava flow insurance costs (per month or per year)? I've found a house I love in Leilani Estates but I see that's lava zone 1. There's another one I like in Hawaiian Beaches (lava zone 2) and the price of the home is a lot less than the one in Leilani estates... Hawaiian Paradise park is lava zone 3 so I'm tempted to look for a house there. But I'd appreciate some feedback from those already living in these areas & how much they pay for insurance. Thanks in advance!
There's no "lava flow" insurance per se, it's actually fire insurance. If lava flows near your house, it's going to be pretty hot, so the house should catch on fire before the lava hits it. For house with a $250K "replacement cost", fire insurance ranges from about $750 per year for a place located in Lava Zone 3 up to about $1500 per year for a place located in Lava Zone 1. As for subdivisions in Puna, I'd choose Leilani Estates over Hawaiian Beaches and Hawaiian Paradise Park.

Old 03-13-2007, 06:32 AM

18 posts, read 99,063 times
Sorcerer68, You wrote: "Availability: You'll find yourself missing many things here. Think of all the things you love and then imagine never, ever being able to have most of them. It sounds harsh but you need to do this."

This may seem a silly question but could you give us some examples of what you are talking about here? We have found your post very helpful. You were very thorough and we appreciate your honesty. In fact this whole thread has been a great resource of information.

Also, Jonah K, you wrote: "As for subdivisions in Puna, I'd choose Leilani Estates over Hawaiian Beaches and Hawaiian Paradise Park." Could you tell us why? I've read a couple of posts where people have felt the same as you and just wondering what your thoughts are when comparing these subdivisions.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:14 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jncsolis View Post
Sorcerer68, You wrote: "Availability: You'll find yourself missing many things here. Think of all the things you love and then imagine never, ever being able to have most of them. It sounds harsh but you need to do this."

This may seem a silly question but could you give us some examples of what you are talking about here? We have found your post very helpful. You were very thorough and we appreciate your honesty. In fact this whole thread has been a great resource of information.
Sorcerer68 is probably a Californian at heart, so it's not surprising that he's packing up and moving back "home." Sometimes, I find myself missing things like Trader Joe's, In-n-Out burgers, Fry's Electronics, IKEA, several Costco stores within a 15-mile radius, L.A. Laker's games at the Staples Center, and watching some of the L.A. newscasters like Maria Quiban and Cher Calvin. However, for me, Hawai'i has always been home, since my ancestors were some of the original inhabitants here.

As for catchment water, cesspools, utilities, unpaved roads, etc. one has to remember that the Big Island, especially Puna, is pretty much the "boonies", so urban amenities are few and far between. In order to survive and thrive in Puna, one has to be a bit of a "Punatic."

Quote:
Originally Posted by jncsolis View Post
Also, Jonah K, you wrote: "As for subdivisions in Puna, I'd choose Leilani Estates over Hawaiian Beaches and Hawaiian Paradise Park." Could you tell us why? I've read a couple of posts where people have felt the same as you and just wondering what your thoughts are when comparing these subdivisions.
Leilani Estates is desirable over other Puna subdivisions primarily because it has an active "neighborhood watch" program, paved roads, mail delivery, and lot sizes that are one acre (or slightly larger). The main drawbacks to Leilani Estates for most people are that it's in "Lava Zone 1", lacks county water, and is a little far from Hilo, compared to other subdivisions like Hawaiian Paradise Park (aka "HPP"). In addition, Leilani Estates probably has the largest population of retirees in Puna, so it's kind of like the Puna version of "Leisure World".

Hawaiian Beaches is part of the "Hawaiian Shores/Hawaiian Shores Recreational Estates/Hawaiian Parks/Hawaiian Beaches" group of subdivisions. Most of the roads in this group of subdivisions are paved, and private water is available. The main drawbacks to these subdivisions are that the lot sizes are relatively small (under 15,000 sq. ft.), the crime rate is a little higher than in Leilani Estates and HPP, Kahakai Blvd. is the main way in and out, and they're also a little far from Hilo. Out of all of them, Hawaiian Shores Recreational Estates (aka "HSRE") is probably the best.

HPP is a fairly large and diverse subdivision. Parts of it (especially near Kaloli Pt.) are quite desirable, while other parts of it are not that great. Although a few of the main roads in HPP are paved, most of the roads are unpaved (although there's a movement afoot to pave all of the roads there). One acre lots and catchment water is the norm in HPP; however, lots closer to the ocean are usually 1/2 acre. If you have to work in Hilo, HPP is a good choice.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:46 PM

18 posts, read 99,063 times
Thanks for your input Jonah K. We really appreciate it. You gave us very helpful info.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:57 AM

50 posts, read 204,427 times
First of all, a big mahalo! to leilaniguy for all of your helpful and insightful observations on Kealakekua, South Kona, and Kau in general. I, too, am making plans to eventually escape to Paradise. We live in Bellingham, WA, and get the arctic air funneled down through B.C.'s Fraser River canyon. This morning, on the Ides of March, my right finger knuckles ached and popped with cold when I stepped out on the porch for a smoke and a cuppa Java. I found Clark Realty was pretty darn good on info and MLS listings for the southwest/Big Island in general, (for you other seekers). I've found affordable, (under $300K), homes with a bit of land, mostly older but with character, and those mostly in Puna or Kau, (wetter). I'm curious about going to the store and getting the bills. Unless you have a catchment system, how much is municipal water, electricity, internet, TV, etcetera? Differences from Puna to Kau to S. Kona? How about store prices? No info found on, say, loaf of bread, local fish/beef/pork, bottle of rustic (non-snooty) red wine, local fruit, generic pack of smokes, et cetera. (Still trying to quit the tobacco...).
Mahalo and Aloha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island