Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2006, 12:19 PM

2 posts, read 8,853 times

Advertisements

Hello. I read through the various postings and gathered quite a bit of info - some rather expected, some causing me to raise an eyebrow. I lived in Kailua-Kona about 28 years ago - came over as a Nanny, and then 2 years later as a photographers assistant - never had any problems as a haole but was associated with transplanted haole's that had local businesses and were fairly well accepted, as well as involved in local church. Kona was a one traffic light large village at the time, with lots of tourism.

I am now in my late 40's, married with our youngest son (nearly 13), thinking about moving to the islands. We live in a western suburb of Chicago, and would like to move away from the 120K+ people side of life. I am a professional, with an advanced degree in Educational Administration, and a certified special education teacher. One of my concerns was reading about the quality of education available, not so much as to what I do, but more in relationship to my son. He is not all that thrilled with the idea of moving and making new friends. He is the youngest of a combined total of 7 children, and feels it is a long ways from anywhere. He has never been to the islands. My husband has been a few times on vacation, and we honeymooned there, but he hasn't been to the Big Island. He is able to work anywhere provided he has internet access and a good phone line, as he works for a global company. I've been doing homework in regard to location and cost - we are looking to downsize, and prefer to finance in the $180-250K price for a permitted 3 bdrm house - though much of what I see that I like is in lava zone 2... I am looking also at preferring to have all utilities and water -
I lived with the flying cockroaches and cane spiders... however, living in Kona don't remember mosquitoes. The occasional cow would amble in from Gomes road...

How much "water" is there in Puna, average rainfall? Dampness factors? One of the threads said something about moldy books, walls and clorox - is that common? Will running a dehumidifer help adjust these things? How often is it raining all day? I remember the usual at least once daily rainfall , but then clearing up and bright skies. My husband also flies a small plane, and would want to be able to fly weekly out of the Hilo airport.

Is it feasible to find a 3bdrm home with all utilities and still have producing fruit trees on the lot for $200K? Coming from the midwest, room sizes are usually larger than I anticipate the rooms there - how often are you able to use the lanai for guests (such as hammocks). Will it be necessary to screen in the lanai's in order to avoid mosquitoes? What other critters will attempt to take refuge inside?

Thanks for taking the time to read this long posting!

Aloha,

Fran

Old 10-09-2006, 05:45 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,596,975 times
Aloha Fran. There are houses in your price range, on lots from 8000 sq. ft. up to an acre, enough room for lots of fruit trees. Any neighborhood that has piped water would have all utilities, except maybe DSL, which is still being installed. Mold can be a problem here. Most people I know here that use a dehumidifier use it in 1 small room or closet in the house, because the only way for it to work in a whole house situation is to keep the windows closed at all times and use AC, (incredibly expensive here, and the trade winds are free). About rain, one of the local sayings about Puna is "enough rain to water Mars". That may be true. Actually, most of the rain does fall at night, usually from about 3-4 AM 'til around dawn, then sunny, but there are those days when we feel like we're under Niagara Falls. All the rain means yes, we have LOTS of mosquitoes here, and the occasional centipede or giant cockroach. Most all lanais are screened. The school system here leaves much to be desired. The local paper, Hawaii Tribune-Herald is available online, the special real estate section runs on Fridays.

Old 10-09-2006, 05:51 PM

2 posts, read 8,853 times
Thanks much for the input and the info. We've done some mission work in Montana where the mosquitoes are the size of small birds... when the sun's out its not so bad. I like the sound of rain at night, just love the sun and breeze during the day! I will be interviewing w/HI Dept of Ed next month when they come to Chicago.

Mahalo

Old 10-11-2006, 12:03 AM

2 posts, read 8,852 times
Default Question for leilaniguy

I lived on Kanapala st. in black sands sub, towards the old black sands outside Pahoa. At the time I moved and for a couple of years after , there was a fella in Keaau, who sold lots by contract in the sub. for a couple thousand, couple hundred down....hundred a month. Is this still possible?
Last but not least, there was a local paper, or community want ads/rag but I cannot remember what it was, and I would like to get it and plan a move back.
thanks, and really great that your answers are so clear and fair. I do miss the weather, warm pond, bananas, papayas and saturday market. See ya', Ron

Old 10-11-2006, 01:57 AM

Aloha ronk, perhaps you mean Kalapana St. Blacksands? I've got friends on Hawaii and Kona Sts. and on Diamond Head Dr. The paper you mention may be The Puna News, or maybe The Hawaii Journal, both are available online, as well as the big local paper, Hilo's Hawaii tribune-Herald. There are still "deals" like you mention available, though for a lot more money now, (Try 20,up to 30 thousand), from this guy in Keaau, "Alan" is probably the first name he uses, (he's well known around here, with a not-good-reputation), and one particular woman " Florence" is her first name, she lives in So. Cal. I would not recommend either of them, or anyone else like them. They are basically nothing but "property predators", professional scammers, who take advantage of Hawaii's Lax real estate laws that allow "Agreements-of-sale", which is a perfect deal for selllers, a total screwover deal for buyers, if you miss 1 payment, you lose everything. They can sell immediately again to somebody else, no loss to them. Please don't fall for this.

Old 10-11-2006, 10:24 AM

2 posts, read 8,852 times
Default leilaniguy

You are right kalapana st, up from Jims house, and yeah Alan, though since 2 of the lots were right down the street and I was gonna cash outand get the title , I had hopes, wanted to pay off as I went, property, septic or holding tank , temp. power pole, etc, etc... Do you happen to know mike wynn, or sandy from the ice cream shop? I would like to e-mail with you a bit straight up if it's allowed email is ronk@oregonfast.net, thanks, ron

Old 10-12-2006, 01:58 AM

Aloha Ron. I sent you my email address earlier, don't know Mike, but I think I know Sandy, if she writes for the Punanews and used to deliver pizza for AK. The ice cream shop is pau, over a year now.

Old 10-15-2006, 04:39 PM

4 posts, read 20,832 times
LEILANIGUY!!! You OK? We just heard about the earthquake here in Key West. Hope you and yours are safe.
Baydolphins2003

Old 10-16-2006, 01:01 AM

Mahalo you so very much for your concern,, We are O.K. I've been trying to stay off the phone until now. We still stay so lucky here in Leilani, and in Puna, my house is still here, no real damage. We are still here. We have electricity, we have dishnet, food. No, not even a broken glass, we are SO lucky, Ran through the house naked this AM, first time for that without a fun reason! As soon as I got dressed..... BIG Aftershock! Made me dizzy. My friends and neighbors are OK, just some broken things, and a little screaming. We have stuck kitchen cupboards here, not much else. Shake was terriffic!, thought it would never stop, rang all the windchimes, scared the dogs and cats. Lasted at least a minute! Kona and the rest of the state not so lucky, awful things happened there, many broken houses, waterpipes, landslides, hurt people, etc. News here is spotty, we don't know all things. Damage in Kohala and Hamakua areas, hospitals damaged, landslides, collapsed bridges, closed highways... Maui and Oahu too, terrible, no electric power. I've been through many 'quakes, here and in Oregon, but nothing that approaches this. Took so long to happen, so big, and so many aftershocks, hasn't stopped yet, is still occuring. We'll be alright though, you'll see. Aloha to all, L.

Last edited by leilaniguy; 10-16-2006 at 01:39 AM.. Reason: dizzyness!

Old 10-16-2006, 06:53 AM

4 posts, read 20,832 times
Default Earthquake

We are so glad to hear you are doing well. I hope all your neighbors are doing as well. We are hearing spotty reports about the Kailua-Kona area, and seeing some photos of damage, landslides, and cracks in highways. I heard that some bridge up past Laupahoehoe went out, but have heard no corroboration since. We live in a hurricane zone that devastated us last year, so we are particularly sensnitve to the plight of those in nature's way. It has not dissuaded our intention to move there; however, we are a hardy sort...must be the Maori ancestry. Take care and best wishes.

Baydolphins2003 (Coral)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island