Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2021, 04:38 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,582,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
IHOP is just as good. I didn’t find anything special about Ken’s or any food on the BI. If you want awesome diner type food, NJ is the place to go.
Sorry, but I've had the diner food in NJ, and it was certainly nothing special, and worst of all, it's in New Jersey.

not sure why you felt the need to slam Ken's. Maybe a little bitter???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2021, 07:05 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,315,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Monkey View Post
Well now, enjoy those New Jersey diners now that you live in Georgia? I am sorry that you couldn't
build a foundation for your life going forward here in Hawai'i. If it is any consolation, your are not
alone. Many have come and gone. Learn It. Live it. Accept it. Good Luck.
Going to a diner is an occasional thing. Wasn’t really a big fan of them. I would rather get a bacon egg and cheese on a roll from a NY deli. Those I miss. No one does it better.

Maybe moving to Hawaii while we were retired retired would have been the better move. My wife having a teaching career here just wasn’t in the cards. She may of not been what they were looking for. Honestly, I don’t even know if she would have fit in here teaching with her style and expectations. Her philosophy of teaching may be more geared toward students on the mainland rather than students in Hawaii and it would have been like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

Old 06-11-2021, 09:44 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Honestly, I don’t even know if she would have fit in here teaching with her style and expectations.
Really, you don't know? Everyone else did.

Old 06-11-2021, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Really, you don't know? Everyone else did.
You know my wife? That’s weird. How do you know each other?

How would you know her philosophy of teaching wouldn’t fit in being you don’t know what her philosophy of teaching is?

Last edited by Nyfinestbxtf; 06-11-2021 at 12:06 PM..

Old 06-11-2021, 01:16 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Weird? Your extensive posting history should tell you otherwise.

I find it weird it is obvious to anyone on this forum but not to yourself.

Old 06-11-2021, 01:29 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:

How would you know her philosophy of teaching wouldn’t fit in being you don’t know what her philosophy of teaching is?
Officer, no offense … just observation that the old saying tells the story well: ‘You’re known by the company you keep’. Not trying to re litigate your politics or religion, etc. … but you defined yourself in those regards, very distinctly over a lot of posts / time in the past. Locals here on this forum recognized there would almost certainly be a disconnect between you / your wife (by proxy) - and the local Hawaii style. Not talking about how easy it is to ‘get along’ and ‘hit it off’ superficially with locals … and certainly not referring to the many intoxicating aspects of life in Hawaii in general. Your mindset (right or wrong isn’t the point) is simply, well, foreign to most of the state. And Hawaii is definitely like Jake’s “Chinatown” in the ways it works … and doesn’t work.

That all said, best regards and wishes for a new start in Georgia. Really.

Old 06-11-2021, 02:01 PM

451 posts, read 412,200 times
Quote:
"......and it would have been like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.
To thrive in Hawai'i, one of the first things people come to realize is that the square peg continually gets hammered into the round hole until peg is no longer round.

Old 06-11-2021, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Sorry, but I've had the diner food in NJ, and it was certainly nothing special, and worst of all, it's in New Jersey.

not sure why you felt the need to slam Ken's. Maybe a little bitter???
I don’t think NJ diner food is anything special either. The menu is annoying to me and they are all the same in every diner across the state. And yes, NJ sucks. The beaches aren’t bad for Atlantic coast beaches. I like Long Island beaches better. Never been to Outer Banks. I heard they are amazing and have wild horses running on them. That’s pretty cool. Been to Daytona and the beach sucks. The sand is grey and the water is murky.

Geez, I’m not slamming Ken’s. I just didn’t find their food anything yearning for. That’s all.

Old 06-11-2021, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Officer, no offense … just observation that the old saying tells the story well: ‘You’re known by the company you keep’. Not trying to re litigate your politics or religion, etc. … but you defined yourself in those regards, very distinctly over a lot of posts / time in the past. Locals here on this forum recognized there would almost certainly be a disconnect between you / your wife (by proxy) - and the local Hawaii style. Not talking about how easy it is to ‘get along’ and ‘hit it off’ superficially with locals … and certainly not referring to the many intoxicating aspects of life in Hawaii in general. Your mindset (right or wrong isn’t the point) is simply, well, foreign to most of the state. And Hawaii is definitely like Jake’s “Chinatown” in the ways it works … and doesn’t work.

That all said, best regards and wishes for a new start in Georgia. Really.
That’s quite a stretch sir; making a determination of a persons character, personality, and their makeup based on an obscure forum is daft. Many things in a forum get lost in translation. Anyway, I worked among many locals for a year and we got along very well. I kept my politics and faith to myself unless it was brought up by someone. The one security guard and I did disagree on politics and faith and we enjoyed conversing about such topics. He was a liberal atheist. I was asset protection at Walmart and was able to work with everyone closely. My closest co-worker born and raised here became very good friends and I will miss her immensely. In fact many of the people I worked shared many of the same views as I did. Christian Trump supporters. Hawaii is a very diverse state with many varying opinions. I can’t speak for my wife in how she would get along with people, but she is likable. In regards to my wife’s philosophy of teaching may not of lined up with what Hawaii DOE is expecting of teachers. That’s all. Has nothing to do with her integrating with people who live here. Being humble and polite is what worked for me. With that said, I knew who to avoid. I would always be an outsider, there is nothing that could be done about that. Everyone who is not local is an outsider. Even my friend who is half Hawaiian felt like an outsider because she is half black. I would imagine most teachers who teach in Hawaii are outsiders. Local is an actual description that is used.

Last edited by Nyfinestbxtf; 06-11-2021 at 02:43 PM..

Old 06-11-2021, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Weird? Your extensive posting history should tell you otherwise.

I find it weird it is obvious to anyone on this forum but not to yourself.
You have 11,000 posts and I don’t know who you are. I don’t know your character, your personality, or any of your virtues. You can’t know a person from a forum. Until you spend real time with a person, that’s the only way to get to know them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island