Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2021, 02:31 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,313,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Monkey View Post
To thrive in Hawai'i, one of the first things people come to realize is that the square peg continually gets hammered into the round hole until peg is no longer round.
Nothing should be forced. Things should come naturally. Anything that is forced is fake. Be who you are and let the chips fall where they may.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2021, 07:25 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,893,246 times
I never thought much of NJ diners but I could eat at the delis or sub shops every day.

I stumbled into a Sacko's Subs near Atlantic City, jet lagged, wearing an Aloha shirt, and not sure what to order. The guy at the counter helped me out and explained they were the chain that was spawned from the white house deli that opened in 1947. Frank Sinatra used to have the white house ship him subs to Vegas, and I can see why. I understand that they still ship worldwide. I've been tempted to get a few sandwiches shipped to Hawaii. Apparently they've found a way to ship them such that they taste just like the restaurant (you have to assemble the components yourself).

Old 06-12-2021, 11:00 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,573,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
IHOP is just as good. I didn’t find anything special about Ken’s or any food on the BI. If you want awesome diner type food, NJ is the place to go.
Quote:
That is your opinion. My opinion is different. There is nothing for you to be offended by. Just saying I’m not impressed. That’s all. I’m not saying the food is bad, but to be desiring so much? I have a different take. My opinion of Ken’s has nothing to do with waitresses who have been working there for 50 years. They are great. NJ diners has books for menus of everything you can imagine. They probably have a lilikoi milkshake too. Ever been to a Jersey diner? They even have pictures of all the dishes. NJ is the Mecca of diners.
Quote:
Going to a diner is an occasional thing. Wasn’t really a big fan of them. I would rather get a bacon egg and cheese on a roll from a NY deli. Those I miss. No one does it better.

{snip}
Quote:
I don’t think NJ diner food is anything special either. The menu is annoying to me and they are all the same in every diner across the state. And yes, NJ sucks. The beaches aren’t bad for Atlantic coast beaches. I like Long Island beaches better. Never been to Outer Banks. I heard they are amazing and have wild horses running on them. That’s pretty cool. Been to Daytona and the beach sucks. The sand is grey and the water is murky.

Geez, I’m not slamming Ken’s. I just didn’t find their food anything yearning for. That’s all.
lol- I guess you just can't decide what you think about NJ diners.

Have a great day!

Old 06-12-2021, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
lol- I guess you just can't decide what you think about NJ diners.

Have a great day!
I’m speaking in regards to diners. You shouldn’t read to much into a persons post on a forum. It’s a bad idea. Too much gets lost in translation. In regards to diner food, NJ is very good, but diner food isn’t my thing. By Mecca, there are hundreds of them mostly Greek owned.

Old 06-12-2021, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I’m speaking in regards to diners. You shouldn’t read to much into a persons post on a forum. It’s a bad idea. Too much gets lost in translation. In regards to diner food, NJ is very good, but diner food isn’t my thing. By Mecca, there are hundreds of them mostly Greek owned.

lol - you went from "If you want awesome diner type food, NJ is the place to go.' to "I don’t think NJ diner food is anything special either". Nothing is lost "in translation", and on here you can't unsay what you said.

And Ken's is still THE place...

Old 06-12-2021, 03:38 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
That’s quite a stretch sir; making a determination of a persons character, personality, and their makeup based on an obscure forum is daft. Many things in a forum get lost in translation. Anyway, I worked among many locals for a year and we got along very well. I kept my politics and faith to myself unless it was brought up by someone. The one security guard and I did disagree on politics and faith and we enjoyed conversing about such topics. He was a liberal atheist. I was asset protection at Walmart and was able to work with everyone closely. My closest co-worker born and raised here became very good friends and I will miss her immensely. In fact many of the people I worked shared many of the same views as I did. Christian Trump supporters. Hawaii is a very diverse state with many varying opinions. I can’t speak for my wife in how she would get along with people, but she is likable. In regards to my wife’s philosophy of teaching may not of lined up with what Hawaii DOE is expecting of teachers. That’s all. Has nothing to do with her integrating with people who live here. Being humble and polite is what worked for me. With that said, I knew who to avoid. I would always be an outsider, there is nothing that could be done about that. Everyone who is not local is an outsider. Even my friend who is half Hawaiian felt like an outsider because she is half black. I would imagine most teachers who teach in Hawaii are outsiders. Local is an actual description that is used.
It isn’t one bit daft, officer. Not in cases where a member posts as definitively as you have about their beliefs and ideologies. You have been distinct, clear and graphic. I am not judging your statements as to the values they represent. Nor was I discussing “character” or “personality”. I am simply observing how distinctly you defined yourself with regard to what you believe ideologically.

All beings, humans and other animals, give off signals … some intellectually obvious, and some subliminal. We all pick up on these things, often without even realizing what we are processing. I think it is very possible that your wife’s interviewers pigeon-holed her as another mainlander with condescending attitudes. She may well have been very professional, warm and at the same time reserved, yet locals are prone to feel these things.

I recall a thread some time back on the Hawaii forum, where a poster expressed a desire to bring growth to the natives. Laughable yes. But that attitude is what locals roll their eyes about.

Old 06-13-2021, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
lol - you went from "If you want awesome diner type food, NJ is the place to go.' to "I don’t think NJ diner food is anything special either". Nothing is lost "in translation", and on here you can't unsay what you said.

And Ken's is still THE place...
You have issues. The point is, I’m not impressed with Ken’s, get over it. Of that offends you, that’s your burden to bare, not mine. Many things on a forum is lost in translation.

Old 06-13-2021, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
It isn’t one bit daft, officer. Not in cases where a member posts as definitively as you have about their beliefs and ideologies. You have been distinct, clear and graphic. I am not judging your statements as to the values they represent. Nor was I discussing “character” or “personality”. I am simply observing how distinctly you defined yourself with regard to what you believe ideologically.

All beings, humans and other animals, give off signals … some intellectually obvious, and some subliminal. We all pick up on these things, often without even realizing what we are processing. I think it is very possible that your wife’s interviewers pigeon-holed her as another mainlander with condescending attitudes. She may well have been very professional, warm and at the same time reserved, yet locals are prone to feel these things.

I recall a thread some time back on the Hawaii forum, where a poster expressed a desire to bring growth to the natives. Laughable yes. But that attitude is what locals roll their eyes about.
I’m not ideological, so your interpretation fails there. How in the world could you possibly come to a conclusion based off posts that my wife came off condescending to the interviewers? You do not know what you are even talking about. No one knows why she wasn’t hired. Could of been a formality. Could of been she wasn’t qualified as other candidates, could of been her philosophy of teaching didn’t fit with their curriculum, could of been because she is an outsider, and on and on, yet you come to the most rude conclusion. No one knows except for the people who interviewed her. Let’s not forget all this happened while in the middle of a pandemic. The timing could of been bad. Through the use of deductive reasoning one should conclude the simplest of answers. Occam's razor would suggest Covid played a roll. I have told you also that there was a special Ed teacher who I was in contact with who had the same issues. She did 11 interviews and wasn’t hired. Special Ed is the most difficult teachers to find. You’re too goofy for my liking. No offense, people on here are all bent out of shape because I compared Ken’s to IHOP and diner food. I can come to conclusions of posters here based off their posts, but I’m confident of meeting them in person, I would be way off. I don’t know of any animals who give off signals on the internet through a forum. Ugh.

What does a poster taking about bringing growth to the natives and locals rolling their eyes have to do with the above? I had an apprehension and this Puerto Rican female from the mainland was going on how I targeted her because of her race and my boss who is a loca said to her “this is Hawaii, we don’t play that **** here.” What does that have to do with anything? Nothing, but since we are sharing, why not.

Last edited by Nyfinestbxtf; 06-13-2021 at 06:06 AM..

Old 06-13-2021, 04:47 AM

Quote:
You have issues. The point is, I’m not impressed with Ken’s, get over it. Of that offends you, that’s your burden to bare, not mine. Many things on a forum is lost in translation.
Sorry, but this isn't about me. You keep trying to walk back what you said about how great NJ diners were compared to Ken's. Nothing is "lost in translation" and you are just pizzed that I called you out on it. That clearly offends you, but need to just get over it.

"New York's finest" indeed....

Old 06-13-2021, 04:55 AM

My apologies to the OP for apparently causing this thread to get wildly sidetracked by sharing a fond memory of Hilo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island