Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2021, 03:16 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luau Time View Post
The scarecrow and motion sprinkler make me wonder about a motion detector in the tropical foliage that triggers barking dogs, but not loud enough to wake our future neighbors.
If a barking dog motion sensor doesn't wake you up or your neighbors, it isn't likely to make a dent with pigs but I guess you won't know until you try.

Old 07-19-2021, 03:18 PM

189 posts, read 189,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
They won't bother your landscaping, except for hapu'u. Very surprising to hear they're eaten Ti plants, as I've never seen that during 30 years in the area.

They definitely won't be repelled by anything you could plant if they really want in.

Your current fence may slow them down a bit, but nothing is safe from their desires unless the entire place is securely fenced in.
The pigs came back for seconds when my hubby planted more ti-leaf plants. They seem to love those plants.

A thought just popped up in my mind. I wonder if there’s a spray that could be used on the hapu’u and other foliage that would repel the pigs. I’ll see what I can find.

Mahalo.

Old 07-19-2021, 06:39 PM

10,557 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
If a barking dog motion sensor doesn't wake you up or your neighbors, it isn't likely to make a dent with pigs but I guess you won't know until you try.
My neighbors tell me that their barking dogs don't keep pigs away, although the noise may alert homeowners that the 4 legged intruders are present.

As you can imagine, sporadic (or chronic) barking can be a real night time nuisance in the Big Island subdivisions. I'd rather put up with the pigs going about their business in silence.

Old 07-19-2021, 07:55 PM

26 posts, read 33,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I don't believe you can have it shipped here. Mace/pepper spray is not permitted and bear spray is an enhanced version.

It is said that human attackers can be stopped by aerosol wasp spray. It shoots about 10-15 feet and might be worth a try. Available at any hardware store. (Also far cheaper.)
Bear spray is a lot weaker than human pepper spray and it won't hurt the pig. It just gives them a bad experience. Animals tend to remember bad experiences and not repeat them.

https://www.srselfdefense.com/blog/w...vs-bear-spray/

Old 07-20-2021, 02:59 PM

Well, I guess the motion detector for low volume barking dogs is out. Lol.

Old 07-20-2021, 07:05 PM

451 posts, read 412,200 times
Luau Time,

I know you don't want harm to come to those wild little darlings that have become fond of gnawing
on the foliage in your yard, but honestly, I have only one thought when I read a post on this thread:

Kiawe Smoked, Big Island Pig.

There, I said it. Absolutely mouthwatering good, and so delicious is a plateful with a scoop of
good koshihikari rice, a big fistful of greens and a very, very cold beer or three.

Old 07-21-2021, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Monkey View Post
Luau Time,

I know you don't want harm to come to those wild little darlings that have become fond of gnawing
on the foliage in your yard, but honestly, I have only one thought when I read a post on this thread:

Kiawe Smoked, Big Island Pig.

There, I said it. Absolutely mouthwatering good, and so delicious is a plateful with a scoop of
good koshihikari rice, a big fistful of greens and a very, very cold beer or three.
I hear you. Lol. In fact, when they ate our ti-leaf plants for the second time, I told my hubby that if they kept it up, they’re going to become Portuguese Sausage. Lol

Old 07-21-2021, 02:43 PM

451 posts, read 412,200 times
Luau Time, Good Morning.

Seriously, try contacting your local Cooperative Extension Office for advice on those pesky
wild pigs. If they don't have an answer, they might be able to point you in the right
direction.

https://cms.ctahr.hawaii.edu/ce/Find-Us

Good Luck!

Old 07-22-2021, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Monkey View Post
Luau Time, Good Morning.

Seriously, try contacting your local Cooperative Extension Office for advice on those pesky
wild pigs. If they don't have an answer, they might be able to point you in the right
direction.

https://cms.ctahr.hawaii.edu/ce/Find-Us

Good Luck!
Thank you so much. Greatly appreciate the info.

Have a great day.

Old 07-22-2021, 09:10 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,904,348 times
It is possible to fence the pigs out, but the labor and quality of fencing required to do this is expensive, and it requires maintenance because the pigs will eventually damage it and get through.

You can get a hot wire (electric) fence specifically to keep the pigs out that is less expensive to install, but you have to keep the vegetation clear off the hotwire for it to be effective, so there are ongoing maintenance costs that never end.

Another option is to install a fence adequate to contain dogs. Dogs will keep the pigs out. Notice I didn't say barking. Pigs aren't afraid of noise, they are afraid of being chased and attacked. So one would need dogs willing to chase the pigs out.

We trap and eat the pigs. We've trapped 20+ in the last few years, but this doesn't keep them from damaging things, it just limits it. The only part of our property that has been immune from pig damage are the areas dogs are fenced in. It's easier to fence dogs in than to fence pigs out. There are some pigs that walk on 2 legs, and the dogs chase them off as well.

There are no pig-repellent plants a person can plant. They will even eat things they don't like to if they contain water and there is a drought.

One thing I've never heard anybody trying for pigs, but it works for ravens in Alaska: mylar balloons. Something about the reflective surface and the floating orb swaying in the breeze scares the crap out of them. It's worth a try. If I were to try it I would keep the balloons low to the ground where the pigs are.

Last edited by terracore; 07-22-2021 at 09:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island