Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2021, 02:57 PM

189 posts, read 189,455 times

Advertisements

We have built a home on an acre-lot in Kea’au. We fenced the side and back of the house to keep feral pigs from devouring our plants and yard. However, they have eaten our ti-leaf plants in the front of our home.

I would like to have a corner of our front yard landscaped with tropical foliage such as haupu ferns, torch gingers, birds of paradise, anthuriums, hostas, crotons, etc.

Are there plants that I can include that repel pigs to keep them out of the landscaping? Research states they don’t like the smell of mint. Would that be enough if we were to plant mint in with the tropical foliage? Any advice? We really don’t want to fence-in the front yard.

Mahalo.

Old 07-18-2021, 05:53 PM

26 posts, read 33,400 times
I would try grizzly bear spray. It won't hurt them, but it will be a bad experience for them that they will remember.

Old 07-18-2021, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by respect4pele View Post
I would try grizzly bear spray. It won't hurt them, but it will be a bad experience for them that they will remember.
I gather I would have to check to see if it can be shipped here to Hawaii, since we don’t have bears here. I’ll check it out.

Mahalo.

Old 07-19-2021, 10:59 AM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,164,105 times
Pigs are a constant problem in the wetter areas. I know a few coffee farmers that have trapped and eliminated a hundred or so pigs in a year, and yet not put a dent in the population.
Maybe talk to some commercial nurseries in your area? Not only would they have to deal with pigs too, but they might have the plants/knowledge to repel them.
Best of luck.

Old 07-19-2021, 11:03 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,831,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luau Time View Post
I gather I would have to check to see if it can be shipped here to Hawaii, since we don’t have bears here. I’ll check it out.

Mahalo.
I don't believe you can have it shipped here. Mace/pepper spray is not permitted and bear spray is an enhanced version.

It is said that human attackers can be stopped by aerosol wasp spray. It shoots about 10-15 feet and might be worth a try. Available at any hardware store. (Also far cheaper.)

Old 07-19-2021, 11:35 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:

Are there plants that I can include that repel pigs to keep them out of the landscaping? Research states they don’t like the smell of mint. Would that be enough if we were to plant mint in with the tropical foliage? Any advice? We really don’t want to fence-in the front yard.
Wasp and Bear spray don't really help you when pigs come when you are sleeping. Besides, just your physical presence would likely scare them off anyway before you spray them.

Pigs sense of smell is much greater than that of even dogs - so they will avoid the things they don't like and focus on what they do like. So, no the mint likely won't help you.

A fence is your best bet - better if electric - pigs don't like plastic mesh (they won't step on stuff that gets them tangled - you can try a motion sprinkler but a decent chance they will figure that out - or a scarecrow you move around. You can try to ultimately trap them - but that will likely be a never ending exercise.

Old 07-19-2021, 11:46 AM

10,557 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
We have built a home on an acre-lot in Kea’au. We fenced the side and back of the house to keep feral pigs from devouring our plants and yard. However, they have eaten our ti-leaf plants in the front of our home.

I would like to have a corner of our front yard landscaped with tropical foliage such as haupu ferns, torch gingers, birds of paradise, anthuriums, hostas, crotons, etc.

Mahalo.
They won't bother your landscaping, except for hapu'u. Very surprising to hear they're eaten Ti plants, as I've never seen that during 30 years in the area.

They definitely won't be repelled by anything you could plant if they really want in.

Your current fence may slow them down a bit, but nothing is safe from their desires unless the entire place is securely fenced in.

Old 07-19-2021, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
Pigs are a constant problem in the wetter areas. I know a few coffee farmers that have trapped and eliminated a hundred or so pigs in a year, and yet not put a dent in the population.
Maybe talk to some commercial nurseries in your area? Not only would they have to deal with pigs too, but they might have the plants/knowledge to repel them.
Best of luck.
Good idea.

Mahalo.

Old 07-19-2021, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I don't believe you can have it shipped here. Mace/pepper spray is not permitted and bear spray is an enhanced version.

It is said that human attackers can be stopped by aerosol wasp spray. It shoots about 10-15 feet and might be worth a try. Available at any hardware store. (Also far cheaper.)
The pigs come around at night while we’re asleep. I don’t want to inflict pain or harm them. I just want to keep them away naturally.

So frustrating.

Old 07-19-2021, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Wasp and Bear spray don't really help you when pigs come when you are sleeping. Besides, just your physical presence would likely scare them off anyway before you spray them.

Pigs sense of smell is much greater than that of even dogs - so they will avoid the things they don't like and focus on what they do like. So, no the mint likely won't help you.

A fence is your best bet - better if electric - pigs don't like plastic mesh (they won't step on stuff that gets them tangled - you can try a motion sprinkler but a decent chance they will figure that out - or a scarecrow you move around. You can try to ultimately trap them - but that will likely be a never ending exercise.
The scarecrow and motion sprinkler make me wonder about a motion detector in the tropical foliage that triggers barking dogs, but not loud enough to wake our future neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island