Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2021, 06:39 AM

21,735 posts, read 16,341,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
Oh please. You're not fooling anyone. You were trying to get me to say I am not from Hawaii so you could use that to try and discredit me - as opposed to carrying out a legitimate discussion. This isn't my first rodeo, bubba, and all you Hawaiian local yokels all sound the same with your "Do you live in Hawaii?" blather. That wore thin about 20 years ago.

And, again, what I am proposing isn't running a beast to ground with a dog and then when it is totally exhausted going in like Mr. Big Pooch and slitting it's throat.

It's about exterminating a pest en masse that can, unchecked, run rampant. A job for PROFESSIONALS. Not hunters, but exterminators of a somewhat larger "bug". You locals would be the least qualified for such a task, IMHO. The professionals are in the South and Texas, and they aren't afraid of guns. In fact, they are quite expert with them, and can hit a running pig from a moving helicopter, and all the bullets they shoot hit within a few feet of the target. They kill pig after pig after pig..... They could tell you the best way to approach the problem, and it is probably a mix of techniques.

It is sad that you don't get that, but it is what it is.
I see. Well, you just confirm it.

And yeah, I also know about things like shooting from helicopters (retired military, Navy air rescue squadrons, including multiple tours Vietnam) … and, fun and exciting as that may seem to some in their minds, it’s a pretty low percentage day for actual kills in dense jungle. Especially relative to costs incurred, and you clearly have no idea how many pigs we have here.

Later “Salty”

Old 08-01-2021, 08:16 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,578,846 times
{shrug} feral pigs are much less of an issue on the BI than the various keyboard kommandos that come on here.

Old 08-01-2021, 10:59 AM

2,400 posts, read 782,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I see. Well, you just confirm it.

And yeah, I also know about things like shooting from helicopters (retired military, Navy air rescue squadrons, including multiple tours Vietnam) … and, fun and exciting as that may seem to some in their minds, it’s a pretty low percentage day for actual kills in dense jungle. Especially relative to costs incurred, and you clearly have no idea how many pigs we have here.

Later “Salty”
You don't get it because you don't want to get it. I suggest that you consult with professionals and you say, "oh no, this is Hawaii and only we local yokels can understand how things are here" BS, they are professionals at this game, but of course you live on the moon so they could never comprehend.

I merely used the airborne shooters as an example of their marksmanship.

One thing I've noticed about you Hawaiians. You always jump to the extreme. No rational discussion, just a block wall refusal that outsiders may know how to get things done. Judging by how things happen there, I suspect the entire country knows better how to get things done that you guys.

Old 08-01-2021, 12:15 PM

Quote:
You don't get it because you don't want to get it. I suggest that you consult with professionals and you say, "oh no, this is Hawaii and only we local yokels can understand how things are here" BS, they are professionals at this game, but of course you live on the moon so they could never comprehend.

I merely used the airborne shooters as an example of their marksmanship.

One thing I've noticed about you Hawaiians. You always jump to the extreme. No rational discussion, just a block wall refusal that outsiders may know how to get things done. Judging by how things happen there, I suspect the entire country knows better how to get things done that you guys.
Well then, I guess you might as well just take the rest of the day off and leave it to the yokels.

The marksmanship of airborne shooters, by the way, is just irrelevant. This is jungle warfare slick.

Old 08-01-2021, 12:18 PM

Quote:

Once again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cWnubJ9CEw

Old 08-01-2021, 01:58 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
Quote:
Well, you've just wiped out any credibility that you might have had on this forum. "you Hawaiians" was the first thing that cracked me up. Not sure exactly who you mean, but it's amusing how you've thrown over a million diverse people from all over the world into one bucket.

I wonder why you are even on this forum. You apparently don't live here and I question whether you've ever even set foot in the state. Or did you just come here to argue with people who do know what they are talking about just to amuse yourself.

Old 08-01-2021, 03:20 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,163,270 times
Quote:
Oh please. You're not fooling anyone. You were trying to get me to say I am not from Hawaii so you could use that to try and discredit me - as opposed to carrying out a legitimate discussion. This isn't my first rodeo, bubba, and all you Hawaiian local yokels all sound the same with your "Do you live in Hawaii?" blather. That wore thin about 20 years ago.

And, again, what I am proposing isn't running a beast to ground with a dog and then when it is totally exhausted going in like Mr. Big Pooch and slitting it's throat.

It's about exterminating a pest en masse that can, unchecked, run rampant. A job for PROFESSIONALS. Not hunters, but exterminators of a somewhat larger "bug". You locals would be the least qualified for such a task, IMHO. The professionals are in the South and Texas, and they aren't afraid of guns. In fact, they are quite expert with them, and can hit a running pig from a moving helicopter, and all the bullets they shoot hit within a few feet of the target. They kill pig after pig after pig..... They could tell you the best way to approach the problem, and it is probably a mix of techniques.

It is sad that you don't get that, but it is what it is.
Most pigs here reside in pretty dense jungle, helicopters are not much of an option. Local pig hunters use quads to get close to trails and then hike in to hunt. A pretty different scenario than mainland pig hunting.

I'm not convinced that the Big Island actually has a "pig problem". We have a lot of hunters that subsistence hunt and I am guessing they keep the numbers pretty in-check. None of the hunters I know talk about the populations being better or worse than historic numbers.
So the issue isn't so much overpopulation as it is that pigs are doing what pigs do, and it disproportionately affect certain residents/industries (particularly transplants from the mainland).

I used to see the same in Northern California when city dwellers would move to the country and plant all sorts of plants that the deer find delicious and then complain about the deer eating them.

Old 08-01-2021, 04:44 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
Most pigs here reside in pretty dense jungle, helicopters are not much of an option. Local pig hunters use quads to get close to trails and then hike in to hunt. A pretty different scenario than mainland pig hunting.

I'm not convinced that the Big Island actually has a "pig problem". We have a lot of hunters that subsistence hunt and I am guessing they keep the numbers pretty in-check. None of the hunters I know talk about the populations being better or worse than historic numbers.
So the issue isn't so much overpopulation as it is that pigs are doing what pigs do, and it disproportionately affect certain residents/industries (particularly transplants from the mainland).

I used to see the same in Northern California when city dwellers would move to the country and plant all sorts of plants that the deer find delicious and then complain about the deer eating them.
We are seeing more pigs in Discovery Harbour than I remember ever seeing before. They are going crazy with all the pineapples that people are planting, plus everything else they dig up (not just fruit, but flowers and sometimes just grass). I don’t know if it is that we have more people living there, but it certainly is a big problem for us.

Old 08-01-2021, 10:16 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,163,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
We are seeing more pigs in Discovery Harbour than I remember ever seeing before. They are going crazy with all the pineapples that people are planting, plus everything else they dig up (not just fruit, but flowers and sometimes just grass). I don’t know if it is that we have more people living there, but it certainly is a big problem for us.
You hit on my point exactly. Is there a population explosion or are they just being opportunistic and going after the...ahem...low-hanging-fruit?

Old 08-02-2021, 08:49 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,900,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Shooting animals in a residential neighborhood is not only a bad idea - but likely not legal.
90% of Puna is AG land. No residential neighborhoods. Once the pigs have dined on something on my fenced property they are livestock, and shooting is an acceptable way to dispatch livestock. They shoot livestock at the processor in "downtown" Hilo. One of the reasons I trap instead of hunt is that is ensures there is no way for the bullet to leave the property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island