Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Blogs > Welcome To Case's Column
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Welcome To Case's Column

Let me say a big welcome to all of you for joining me here. I'm going to call these blog meetings Case's Column. I wanted to use "Corner", but that was already taken. Since 2008, it's been a real privilege to come on here and share some of my life with you, and it's a big world where we live.

In these blogs, I'll just speak whatever is on my mind, but we will be playing within the rules here. I may pick a particular topic, point out an event, or shoot the breeze. I'm a little bit of an essayist at times, so I'll just speak what's on my mind, and I might tell a story or two. Or, I might spew out an opinion or three. There will be some serious moments, some tender, some poignant, but there will also be those moments that you'll just bust out laughing. But, hopefully, everything will be in good fun here. And, of course, there's a place below for your comments and thoughts as we go along here. So feel free to join me for the ride -- I sure as heck hope I'm doing this right and not making any mistakes.

Thanks for taking your time in reading Case's Column. Hopefully, you'll enjoy being entertained by it as much as I've enjoyed putting these writings together. And thanks for the time you spend in City-Data.com, where it's great to be alive!

Regards,

case44

1. Old Comment

Folks, Please Stop Watching The Left-Wing Media

To make a further point, far more people watched Tucker Carlson's interview with President Trump the other night on X (formerly Twitter) than those watching the Repblican presidential candidates' debate on Fox News Channel. The internet and social media is now the place where people are getting their real news, with what's really going on.

I'd say that, outside of an up-and-coming Vivek Ramaswamy, President Trump clearly won that night.
  2. Old Comment
  3. Old Comment
  4. Old Comment

Scattershooting / Longhorn Sports Get Reacquainted With An Old Radio Friend

It will be interesting to see how the Longhorns and Sooners fare in their new conference next year. Did you see the article about Brett Yomark totally dissing Texas?
  5. Old Comment

More Misheard Song Lyrics --- And This From The Country Genre

LOL. You can hear the durndest things without really realizing it.

Rear. LMAO.
  6. Old Comment

Uninvited Guests At My Workplace, And The Guests Are Pests

Yeah, I hate those noise-makers whenever they sneak in. I've seen co-workers go to incredible lengths to put them out, and I'm amazed they haven't damaged any property.
  7. Old Comment

Easy Listening Music Does Need To Make A Comeback

It'd be a harder sell than you think, Case. I'm amazed that anyone is even discussing it on social media.
  8. Old Comment

Dusty Creeping Up On Sparky, But Likely Not Connie

I think this will be Dusty's last season. He's in his 70's and has done the things you've wanted to see in a player, and later, a manager. Wonder if Joe Espada is ready to succeed him?
  9. Old Comment

Windmills Swept Away?? Lubbock May Be In For A New Image

That's pretty wild that Lubbock is looking at that idea. But that's probably a good thing. I think that Buddy Holly's depiction on a water tower would be better than a windmill.
  10. Old Comment

I have, one or two times. They tend to appear in the colder months, I think.
  11. Old Comment

I've still not even seen a tumbleweed during my visits to Lubbock.
  12. Old Comment

Scattershooting / Longhorn Sports Get Reacquainted With An Old Radio Friend

Almost time for some Texas Longhorn football.

Just two weeks away.
  13. Old Comment

New Texas Tech Football Facilities Are Coming Around

From today

https://x.com/pilot_stock/status/169...dh249LNSSm3AbQ

(Screen shot of web cam footage taken by someone else)

The gray stuff is the layer of rubber pellets that is placed immediately under the new Matrix Turf, the same material that is used at AT&T Stadium (Cowboys), NRG Stadium (Texans), and SoFi Stadium (Rams/Chargers).
  14. Old Comment

Folks, Please Stop Watching The Left-Wing Media

The media just cares about the Deep State. In the below link, Dr Steve Turley sheds some light on the real status of the political elite in America: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk_O3eEBkGE
  15. Old Comment

To me, at least, it would have been interesting to see the five cranes in person. The one replacing the lights and the other upgrading the phone infrastructure were only there for a few days.

They removed the massive mobile crane on the field yesterday. A LOT of other stuff has been cleared from the playing surface in the last few days. They should put more turf down tomorrow (just based on looks), over to the 15-yard-line or so. They still might need to keep part of the field uncovered for a few more days to use concrete pump trucks & the traditional cement trucks, for the second floor.

They cemented over almost all of the SE ramp, but still have to get the lowest part that’s used for drainage pumps. They should get the SW ramp after the field is complete (and they can get the turf crews’ heavy equipment out).

As you can see, there are a lot of moving parts. Under five weeks to get it all ready for the Oregon game.
  16. Old Comment

Next Month: A Week With The Masters And The Master

Already looking forward to next year's Masters. Guess I'll have to settle for YouTube reruns.
  17. Old Comment

Your Writer Really Needed To Clean Out His Fridge

Single guys can be complex creatures.
  18. Old Comment

Case's Column Now Fifteen Years Of Age --- Thanks So Much, Readers!

Face it, sports fans, what in the flying fudge can a blogger like case44 do in fifteen years? I've made some folks smile, I've made others mad, I've made others cry (laughing ), and I've probably made some of you hungry (with the occasional food posts), but most of all, I've made people think. I've made them think about life, about how to appreciate it, about how to embrace it, and about how to live it.

There's only so much one can do with two or three paragraphs. I'd better get my message out, or I'd have a..................mess.
  19. Old Comment

There's The Texas Dairy Queen --- And Then There's Everyone Else's

DQ is still Texas' stop sign. They used to have over a thousand Texas locations, but today, that number is closer to 600.
  20. Old Comment

https://www.city-data.com/forum/lubb...acilities.html

This stuff had been planned for years in some capacity.

While college athletics, and CFB in particular, has gotten sort of insane with the facilities race, and name, image and likeness compensation, Tech football (minus the sports performance center) was working out and playing games in venues that had been leapfrogged by the majority of power conference programs 5-15 years before groundbreaking. Tough to recruit guys in that situation.

Tech’s NIL collective is and will be a work in progress, but by all accounts is competitive nationally.

Video of the stadium/Womble Football Center:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=TVaZhV0DCl4&feature=share

Here’s 10-second webcam video from Friday (may want to hit the pause button):

https://youtube.com/live/p0gMxVgbMOg?feature=share

Many thanks go to Dustin Womble, Cody Campbell, Coach McGuire, and many others for these improvements.

Also, thanks for the shout-out, Case.