Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 10:29 AM

43 posts, read 107,444 times

Advertisements

Call centers are big here. T mobile, Quest, HP, EDS(an HP company), Verizon, AT&T, Blue Cross of Idaho, just to name a few. There are a few Jobs doing collections on the web sites I posted.

I think Boise is in a transitional period and it looks like boisefan88 is correct by saying the medical/health field is coming up. The problem with that is at some point it will also stagnate due to the fact there is no room for another major hospital in the area. What the valley needs is growth in more than one industry at a time or more than one major player in each industry. Its a bum rush anytime an industry starts to get big. Then there is an oversupply of workers for that industry and no incentive for the employers to keep the wages going up because there are a couple thousand people that are waiting for your job. Take call centers for instance. There are many call centers in the area that pay 9-10$/hour, but there are also a small hand full of call centers that you can make 12-15$/hour. The reason is the competition to get the better customer service, sales, or collection agents.

IMHO that is the major problem with the Boise area job market.

Last edited by gwin13; 08-28-2009 at 10:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 04:59 PM

17 posts, read 71,313 times
what's so bad about Texas?
i'm originally from Oregon, now in northern california, and looking into Texas along with Boise and other places. but i was just wondering if you could elaborate a little

Old 09-04-2009, 12:18 AM

43 posts, read 107,444 times
There are a couple of HVAC jobs on the sites I posted earlier.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:08 PM

314 posts, read 1,218,196 times
The job picture is not favorable here in Boise. The Idaho Statesman had a job article probably 3 months ago and it forecasted that Unemployment in Boise wouldn't begin to rebound til late 2010. Cour d'Alene is supposed to rebound this Fall.

If you really want to get out of Texas, you might want to consider CdA instead of Boise.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:27 PM

107 posts, read 278,909 times
"what's so bad about Texas?
i'm originally from Oregon, now in northern california, and looking into Texas along with Boise and other places. but i was just wondering if you could elaborate a little "

It was not what we expected, not kid friendly where we live, humidity bites!
The people...well if you are conservative and belong to a church then the whole world is in your hands, but if you aren't then good luck with life in the south!

Not nearly as many horse activities, 97% of TX is owned therefore hunting is very expensive as you have to hunt a lease.
Fishing is not bad, but watch those cottonmouths!
Utilities!!! AWFUL!!! 800-900 for electric is just hard to swallow..we cut it to $400 last year, but thats $100 less than our rent!
Water gas sewer $100, even if you do not use much water and we can't drink our water, so you pay for something you can't even drink!

Environmentaly the state is a toxic wasteland....

Old 11-25-2009, 07:23 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,707,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage44 View Post
"what's so bad about Texas?
i'm originally from Oregon, now in northern california, and looking into Texas along with Boise and other places. but i was just wondering if you could elaborate a little "

It was not what we expected, not kid friendly where we live, humidity bites!
The people...well if you are conservative and belong to a church then the whole world is in your hands, but if you aren't then good luck with life in the south!

Not nearly as many horse activities, 97% of TX is owned therefore hunting is very expensive as you have to hunt a lease.
Fishing is not bad, but watch those cottonmouths!
Utilities!!! AWFUL!!! 800-900 for electric is just hard to swallow..we cut it to $400 last year, but thats $100 less than our rent!
Water gas sewer $100, even if you do not use much water and we can't drink our water, so you pay for something you can't even drink!

Environmentaly the state is a toxic wasteland....
$800-900 a month?

Old 11-26-2009, 04:41 PM

2 posts, read 3,060 times
Default A whole lot of generalities

It depends on what area of TX one lives in. As everyone knows, it is a big state as illustrated by the fact that El Pas is closer to LA than to Houston.

The gulf coast tends to be humid, while the western side of the state is arid desert. The heat is real and in a word "hot". The winters are nice while the Summers are at times overbearing (temperature wise). From my family in MN, I equate the living in the Summer to on par with living in MN in Feb: you enjoy what you wish, but most of the time is spent indoors.

Property taxes are generaly higher than the national average as, but then there is no personal income tax. While the majority of the state is conservative in nature (to varying degrees), Austin is considered San Fransisco East.

Utililities are similar in cost to some of the other areas of the country, particular MN, ND, and WA (I've lived there and use that as my yard stick, the rest is just opinion).

Kid friendly - I have two boys and believe they have been treated as well as they would have been had they been raised in any other community of the country. I would go on to believe that having lived in three of the four major metro centers , the people here are as friendly as anywhere. In fact most of the people are from somewhere other than TX. That may be a reflection of the better than average job market.

Hunting - as was stated previously, a significant portion of the land is in private hands so typically a lease will be required. There are public lands available, buuty they tend to be crowded.

Fishing is less than what I am accoustomed to, with the coast being the best. Bass fishing is big here as is cat fishing; neither of which I do. The lakse and streams on the eastern side of the sate are slow moving and tend to be in areas with a clay bottom. The result is a dirty water not at all like what I've experienced in MN or WA.

Like most places, TX, is what you make of it. If you look for the bad, that is what you will see. If you accept that all areas require some sort of compromise, then you may enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area