Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2023, 02:20 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times

Advertisements

I just started Maggie's Dreamer Trilogy, after having consumed her previous series, the Raven Cycle in (for me) a new land speed record of reading. I absolutely devoured them. This first of the trilogy is proving to be every bit as mesmerizing.

They are classified as YA, but this reader is in her 60s and I am gobsmacked at the rich textural aspects of her writing. Her work doesn't just have a plot, it creates a world in which one's mind can wander in awe.

If you decide to try it, be prepared to be totally swept away.

The Raven Cycle Series: https://www.goodreads.com/series/73675-the-raven-cycle
Dreamer Trilogy: https://www.goodreads.com/series/235881-dreamer-trilogy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2023, 02:13 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Alternating between:

The Orientalists: Western Artists in Arabia, The Sahara, Persia, & India by Kristian Davies. 2005. A spectacular book about the artistic genre and the painters who represented it, some of whom remain largely unknown. One of the few "art books" that's actually as wonderful to read as it is to look at. Just can't put it down! It'll set you back quite a bit, however!

Deep Affinities: Art and Science. by Philip F. Palmedo. 2020. Really great thinking about the connections that exist between what most people regard as polar opposites. They aren't!

Old 01-26-2023, 02:57 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Started a series of mysteries set in Tuscany—3 so far—Murder in Chianti, Bitter Taste of Murder, and Murder on the Vine
Main character Nico Doyle is NYC retired detective whose wife came from a small town in Tuscany where he retires after her death
Becomes involved helping the local police solve a murder and becomes more involved with his neighbors
Written by Camilla Trinchieri who has other novels as well
Italian food is feature in these like in Donna Leon’s Brunelli series set in Venice

Old 01-26-2023, 03:24 PM

9,432 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Finished Grisham's "The Boys from Biloxi.' Disappointing although I do still very much enjoy his writing.
Am starting "State of Wonder" by Anne Patchett (put aside Ordinary Grace by Krueger since I recently read This Tender Land). Want to try something different and Patchett's book sounds good (found on the grocery store bookshelf for $1.00 - I find the best books there!).

Old 01-26-2023, 04:16 PM

34,996 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Alternating between:

The Orientalists: Western Artists in Arabia, The Sahara, Persia, & India by Kristian Davies. 2005. A spectacular book about the artistic genre and the painters who represented it, some of whom remain largely unknown. One of the few "art books" that's actually as wonderful to read as it is to look at. Just can't put it down! It'll set you back quite a bit, however!
As opposed The Orientalist: Solving the Mystery of a Strange and Dangerous Life by Tom Reiss?

Old 01-26-2023, 05:06 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,061 times
Half way through Our Missing Heartsthrough by Celeste Ng.Certainly relevant with book banning taking place in a certain part of country. I’ve read both of Ng’s previous two novels awhile ago and was impressed. My only complaint with latest overly descriptive. Okay, I get it.

Old 01-26-2023, 05:43 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,000,279 times
"The Myth of Normal: Trauma, Illness, and Healing in a Toxic Culture - Gabor Maté

Old 01-27-2023, 03:12 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Finished Grisham's "The Boys from Biloxi.' Disappointing although I do still very much enjoy his writing.
Am starting "State of Wonder" by Anne Patchett (put aside Ordinary Grace by Krueger since I recently read This Tender Land). Want to try something different and Patchett's book sounds good (found on the grocery store bookshelf for $1.00 - I find the best books there!).
I'm a big Ann Patchett fan and State of Wonder is my favorite of her books! Enjoy!

Old 01-27-2023, 08:28 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
I finally finished Cloud Cuckoo Land by Anthony Doerr. Wow! It was an amazing, somewhat complicated, beautiful book. I can't believe how happy I was with the ending. There were a few times that I couldn't see how these characters, this story and these vastly spaced time periods would all come together, but they did in the most beautiful way.

Old 01-28-2023, 05:29 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Am starting "State of Wonder" by Anne Patchett
I love Ann Patchett's books, and really enjoyed that one. (All except for Bel Canto, which I thought was only so-so).

https://www.city-data.com/forum/book...-patchett.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books