Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2018, 11:30 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
The spy who came in from the cold / Le Carré, John, 1931- , c1963, Penguin Books.

Subjects
Smiley, George (Fictitious character) -- Fiction.
Intelligence officers -- England -- Fiction.
Cold War -- Fiction.
Berlin (Germany) -- Fiction.

Notes
"A George Smiley novel."--Cover

Summary
Secret agent Leamas is on a mission in East Berlin, but he has doubts about the organization he serves.

Length - xiv, 225 pages ;

Continuing to read the collection. Agent versus agent, in the hall of mirrors. A taut story.
I the first two in the series and liked both books. Usually, I don't like spy novels, but LeCarre is an excellent writer. Hope to eventually finish the series.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 12:45 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,759,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
The spy who came in from the cold / Le Carré, John, 1931- , c1963, Penguin Books.

Subjects
Smiley, George (Fictitious character) -- Fiction.
Intelligence officers -- England -- Fiction.
Cold War -- Fiction.
Berlin (Germany) -- Fiction.

Notes
"A George Smiley novel."--Cover

Summary
Secret agent Leamas is on a mission in East Berlin, but he has doubts about the organization he serves.

Length - xiv, 225 pages ;

Continuing to read the collection. Agent versus agent, in the hall of mirrors. A taut story.
This has always been on my TBR list. I may need to move it closer to the top!

Old 08-09-2018, 12:57 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,321,218 times
I've been accidentally reading books that turned out to be YA. The last one was the first book of a series called Soulbound. I'm definitely not interested enough to read further but it might interest some people who are interested in a light fantasy.

Then my SIL called sobbing over a book called The Bridge Ladies, a memoir which she wants me to read. She has cancer and I think she is now into reading memoirs. I avoid memoirs. So I thought Dawn could read it, give me the low-down and then I would pretend to have read it. https://www.amazon.com/Bridge-Ladies.../dp/B013PK6W1W

Old 08-09-2018, 03:31 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post

Then my SIL called sobbing over a book called The Bridge Ladies, a memoir which she wants me to read. She has cancer and I think she is now into reading memoirs. I avoid memoirs. So I thought Dawn could read it, give me the low-down and then I would pretend to have read it. https://www.amazon.com/Bridge-Ladies.../dp/B013PK6W1W
Aside from the fact that I know that you're joking and the fact that I'm shoulder-deep in my obsession with binge-watching Nurse Jackie, I just downloaded the book (it looks good) and will read it. Anything for you and Agnes. XOXO

Old 08-09-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Aside from the fact that I know that you're joking and the fact that I'm shoulder-deep in my obsession with binge-watching Nurse Jackie, I just downloaded the book (it looks good) and will read it. Anything for you and Agnes. XOXO
I think it's probably a good book for a memoir but I just don't think I want to read it. But who is Nurse Jackie?

Shura competed her last obedience puppy class yesterday and is acting all high and mighty today. She has her spay coming up in a little while and so further classes will have to wait but she had a blast. Her best friend was the Chihuahua who the instructor said didn't fail the class but we all know she failed the class, hehehehe. I practised everything with Shura as I didn't want her to look bad. I needn't have worried. I'm glad Shura connected well with the other dogs. The two other dogs in her class were her size.

Old 08-09-2018, 04:26 PM

I'm reading Seraphina and the Black Cloak. I know it's YA but this is what YA should be about. Very well written and interesting even if you're not a YA. The title sounds awfully familar. Was a movie made of this book?

Old 08-09-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
I think it's probably a good book for a memoir but I just don't think I want to read it. But who is Nurse Jackie?

Shura competed her last obedience puppy class yesterday and is acting all high and mighty today. She has her spay coming up in a little while and so further classes will have to wait but she had a blast. Her best friend was the Chihuahua who the instructor said didn't fail the class but we all know she failed the class, hehehehe. I practised everything with Shura as I didn't want her to look bad. I needn't have worried. I'm glad Shura connected well with the other dogs. The two other dogs in her class were her size.
All good -- I love memoirs. So we're a good team in this pull-one-over-on-Agnes caper.

Nurse Jackie is this: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1190689/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
I don't even really like TV but this show is excellent!

Of course Shura was the queen of the class, the best of the bunch, the princess of puppies, the top dog(gie). <3

Old 08-09-2018, 08:39 PM

777 posts, read 1,336,510 times
I just finished Sharp Objects by Flynn, and Unqualified by Farris the past few weeks. Both equally good books. Definitely recommend you binge read Sharp Objects in the next week if you are watching the HBO series of it. It doesn't spoil the show, at all, b/c it's made so differently.

Currently I'm reading book four, Four, of the Divergent Series. Decided I wanted to just finally finish that series after taking a two year break since reading book three.

In Reference to the post above me, Nurse Jackie is awesome. Definitely watch it on Netflix if you haven't seen it yet, people.

Old 08-10-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
All good -- I love memoirs. So we're a good team in this pull-one-over-on-Agnes caper.

Nurse Jackie is this: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1190689/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
I don't even really like TV but this show is excellent!

Of course Shura was the queen of the class, the best of the bunch, the princess of puppies, the top dog(gie). <3
Struggling...

I'm at 11% and although there might be a good story here -- one that could make me cry -- I'm having a hard time.

First off, the author is all over the place: her mother, the bridge ladies, her grandparents, and -- from what I saw in the reviews -- she will soon talk a lot about herself. (Okay, it is a memoir, after all.)

The other thing -- and most people will laugh at me for hating on this so hard but I can't stand it -- she uses a lot of exclamation points. Hey, I'm fine with it in dialogue. That shows how emphatic the person was when they said [whatever they said]. But this author -- sigh... -- uses exclamation points in the narrative itself, in the telling of the story. Nisht gut (as the bridge ladies and my own bubby would say).

Old 08-10-2018, 11:18 AM

829 posts, read 411,623 times
Just finished "Did You Ever Have A Family" by Bill Clegg https://www.amazon.com/Did-You-Ever-.../dp/1476798184

I didn't want this one to end! Gave it 4.5 stars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books