Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2018, 08:20 AM

4,794 posts, read 2,797,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
If the first book is so good the chances that I'm reading the next are quite good Thank you for your help!

Yesterday I ordered new books:

Little House on the Prairie - Laura Ingalls Wilder (I loved the first book which I read at the beginning of this year and thought it would be good to get the whole series in German to read with DD. But they are so expensive over here (even used books!) that I'm sticking to the English versions.)

…
I haven't read them, but I recall that there was some raging controversy about the Little House series. L. I. Wilder wrote the first set (& lots of articles & other material - she was very prolific). But during the Depression (?), a relative - a niece? - appropriated the stories & rewrote them to appeal to a more Show Biz POV. I don't know that the legal side of all that was ever settled - between L. I. Wilder's estate & the relative who was improving the stories.

It does make you wonder, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 08:50 AM

829 posts, read 411,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
If the first book is so good the chances that I'm reading the next are quite good Thank you for your help!

Yesterday I ordered new books:

Little House on the Prairie - Laura Ingalls Wilder (I loved the first book which I read at the beginning of this year and thought it would be good to get the whole series in German to read with DD. But they are so expensive over here (even used books!) that I'm sticking to the English versions.)

The Vacationers - Emma Straub

Wildflower Hill - Kimberly Freeman

The Narrow Road to the Deep North - Richard Flanagan

Tears Of The Desert - Halima Bashir

Songs in Ordinary Time - Mary McGarry Morris

No and Me - Delphine de Vigan

Ketchup Clouds - Annabell Pitcher

It seems for every 3 books I read, I order 5 new books and my shelf doesn't get empty at all

Has anybody read any of these?
The only one I read was "Songs in Ordinary Time" and I remember loving it! I do have "The Narrow Road to the Deep North" on my TO READ LIST as it won the Man Booker Prize. Let us know what you thought about that one.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:59 AM

47,545 posts, read 6,390,063 times
Last week I finished David Baldacci's "The Whole Truth" and I have reached the last few chapter's of the follow-up book, "Deliver Us From Evil."

Both books feature an anti-terrorist operative named Shaw who works for a multinational agency that sometimes goes outside the law to take down terrorists and criminals.

In the whole truth, a mega-billionaire who heads a global defense contractor looks to manipulate public opinion worldwide and reshape reality more to his liking, including pitting Russia and China against each other in order to boost arms sales.

Reporter Katie James is fed incorrect information to manipulate her to write a story that feds into the international frenzy. Shaw and James both seek the truth in their own way, with an inevitable showdown with the evil billionaire.

The sequel is interest and thrusts another agency, a vigilante group based in England, into the mix.

This time, the villain is a former KGB operative who tortures people for his own enjoyment, runs an evil business that markets kidnapped girls to wealthy clients, and even seeks to deal with potential nuclear terrorists.

Shaw falls for a female member of the vigilante group and they work together in an effort to bring down the ex-KGB guy. Their plan doesn't work and in an effort to exact revenge, the villain uncovers a connection between Shaw and Katie James.

The books are fast-paced thrillers, and the only two written so far (published in 2008 and 2010) in Baldacci's A. Shaw series.

Old 08-14-2018, 02:40 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,757,886 times
I finished the 3rd and 4th books in the Amra Thetys series by Michael McClung. The books have a typical fantasy theme - the protagonist must save the world. The main character, Amra, is a young, female thief who is accidentally dragged into the quest. The quest revolves around the number 8 and at the end of the 4th book, only 1 1/2 - 2 of the 8 things have been dealt with. The 5th book is due in October and I have it on order. I can't tell if the author will finish the series in 8 books or drag it out into more. The pacing seems a little slow to me but at this point, I enjoy them enough and am invested in them enough, to keep reading for at least one more.

I also finished Pushing Brilliance, Lies of Spies and Falling Stars (books 1-3) in the Kyle Achilles thrillers by Tim Tigner. The author recommended you read the novella Chasing Ivan prior to book three and I did. I do think that was helpful background for the last book.

The books follow an Ex CIA agent through his adventures. Kyle Achilles is also an ex-Olympian (biathlon) and a world class free rock climber. I found the latter to add an interesting element to the books. I would give these 4.5 stars. (5 stars for me being the early Tom Clancy novels). They held my interest and the plots were inventive and current so they didn't seem like a rehash of the typical save the world scenarios. If you like thrillers, I recommend these.

I have downloaded his other two freestanding books on my Kindle.

Old 08-15-2018, 04:22 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times
Driving from FL to DFW TX
Listening to Omarosa's "Unhinged" in car with husband
Gotten to point where Trump has won nomination and Manafort is campaign chairman
Interesting in some ways
She has more political experience than I was aware of
Has Master's from Howard in Communications, has Ministrial degree...not PhD or she would be Dr. for sure
Hard to know how much of this was really her original perception, what she gleaned from reading critical books about Trump (because some of this info is in those books), or what she decided after she was fired...

She has not explained what would make her start taping these people...
but one recording apparently happened during the campaign although she retells several events she was witness to during filming the Apprentice in its various iterations that would be worth knowing were real...

And in light of Trump trying to punish Brennan by removing his security clearance don't know that will keep anyone from taping some conversations...

Old 08-15-2018, 05:44 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Driving from FL to DFW TX
Listening to Omarosa's "Unhinged" in car with husband
Gotten to point where Trump has won nomination and Manafort is campaign chairman
Interesting in some ways
She has more political experience than I was aware of
Has Master's from Howard in Communications, has Ministrial degree...not PhD or she would be Dr. for sure
Hard to know how much of this was really her original perception, what she gleaned from reading critical books about Trump (because some of this info is in those books), or what she decided after she was fired...

She has not explained what would make her start taping these people...
but one recording apparently happened during the campaign although she retells several events she was witness to during filming the Apprentice in its various iterations that would be worth knowing were real...

And in light of Trump trying to punish Brennan by removing his security clearance don't know that will keep anyone from taping some conversations...
Has a ghost writer been mentioned at all?

Old 08-15-2018, 06:14 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
Usually I read lots of history, historical novels, some thrillers etc. Found I was stumped on which book to pull from the waiting to be read list. Saw Pride and Prejudice online and ordered it.

Loved the movies but never read Austin.
Also got Sense and Sensibility....quite a different genre for me...

Alison Weir's books on Henry 8th wives no. 1 & 2...Kathryn of Aragon and Anne Boleyn. She's writing one on each of the six wives.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:19 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Usually I read lots of history, historical novels, some thrillers etc. Found I was stumped on which book to pull from the waiting to be read list. Saw Pride and Prejudice online and ordered it.

Loved the movies but never read Austin.
Also got Sense and Sensibility....quite a different genre for me...

Alison Weir's books on Henry 8th wives no. 1 & 2...Kathryn of Aragon and Anne Boleyn. She's writing one on each of the six wives.
The classics are free if you are on Prime (I think Austen is included).

Love ALL the books you listed.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-15-2018, 06:33 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Has a ghost writer been mentioned at all?
Certainly not...not to her benefit to do that
but maybe someone will come forward...
Some people in her past who worked with her had nothing good to say--before she was Apprenticed
Her degree is in communications
So you would think writing would be competent anyway

The story flows well mot of the time but timeline a little jumbled...

Old 08-15-2018, 11:00 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,413,716 times
Dewey - The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books