Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2018, 12:22 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
There is Strangers from a Different Shore, which has been sitting in my TBR pile for years. But as far as either a historical novel or nonfiction narrative story about the Internment, I haven't come across one, although I'd be very interested in reading one. I wish I had something to recommend -- I was just very disappointed in HCBAS, and found it trite, shallow, not believable and to boot had the "magical negro" trope within it, which is at best, lazy and unimaginative, and at worst, outright racist. Plus, the dialogue was especially awful, the timing was off, and all the characters in the later portion of the story acted about twenty years older than they were.

You remember a lot more about it than I do. Anyway...I just looked up some non fiction books and here is the link although I have not checked any reviews yet.

https://www.google.com/search?q=non+...w=1306&bih=651
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 12:49 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
You remember a lot more about it than I do. Anyway...I just looked up some non fiction books and here is the link although I have not checked any reviews yet.

https://www.google.com/search?q=non+...w=1306&bih=651
I looked again at my review and remembered some of the things I really didn't like. I remember that book quite well because my book club had read it, and I remember we had talked about reading it for a while before we picked it. I was actually looking forward to reading it and had expected so much more and we had a long discussion about it.

Many of the books look good. I'd love to hear from anyone who read any of them and can vouch for them.

Old 01-24-2018, 02:08 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
Killer Show
by John Barylick

The Station Nightclub fire that killed 100

Old 01-24-2018, 02:51 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I looked again at my review and remembered some of the things I really didn't like. I remember that book quite well because my book club had read it, and I remember we had talked about reading it for a while before we picked it. I was actually looking forward to reading it and had expected so much more and we had a long discussion about it.

Many of the books look good. I'd love to hear from anyone who read any of them and can vouch for them.
I have this one on my list...sadly my library here doesn't have it. It's hard to believe that my library up in the mountains of TN has a better library system than Florida.
The Train to Crystal City: FDR's Secret Prisoner Exchange Program and America's Only Family Internment Camp During World War II

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Killer Show
by John Barylick

The Station Nightclub fire that killed 100
That looks good and along with that I added:
To Sleep with the Angels: The Story of a Fire by David Cowan, John Kuenster
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...ith_the_Angels

and
Gone at 3:17: The Untold Story of the Worst School Disaster in American History by David M. Brown, Michael Wereschagin
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13100810-gone-at-3

and then I came across this
An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth: What Going to Space Taught Me About Ingenuity, Determination, and Being Prepared for Anything by Chris Hadfield
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...-life-on-earth

Maybe I should read a book instead of reading "about" books

Old 01-25-2018, 01:30 AM

522 posts, read 715,343 times
I lived in Rhode island at the time of cthe station nightclub fire and two women I worked with were there but they got out. I will definitely check the book out!

Old 01-25-2018, 09:16 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,527,092 times
I'm about halfway through Daniel Ellsberg's The Doomsday Machine, about the loose controls we've had for decades on nuclear weapons. Scary stuff.

I'm about 3/4 through Michael Wolff's Fire and Fury. It's very amusing.

Old 01-26-2018, 08:35 AM

496 posts, read 395,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
Thought I'd ask again.
I read The Alice Network late last year and enjoyed it.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:22 AM

385 posts, read 205,536 times
I am currently reading The Cruel Prince by Holly Black. I need to finish reading Warcross. I just purchased for the Kindle, Lethal Marriage and The Discovery of Witches.

Old 01-26-2018, 02:24 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enduringwone View Post
I am currently reading The Cruel Prince by Holly Black. I need to finish reading Warcross. I just purchased for the Kindle, Lethal Marriage and The Discovery of Witches.

I know you will endure. heeheehee.

Old 01-27-2018, 12:41 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,863 times
Just finished:
What Doesn't Kill Us by Scott Carney

Currently Reading:
Iliad by Homer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books