Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2018, 07:17 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,940,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
Finished The Good Daughter by Karin Slaughter. It was quite good and I rated it with 3 out of 5 stars. It was a good page turner but basically not my genre.

Now I'm about halfway throughthe Germany version of Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed. Absolutely love it! I can feel the pain of carrying a backpack more than half your weight, the sore feet and aching muscles. What an adventure.

I'm also reading Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford. Something completely different. I haven't read about the aftermath of Pearl Harbor yet and it is quite interesting to read something from the sight of the Chinese/Japanese people living in the North-West USA then.
By the "Germany version" do you mean Wild translated into German, or is there another similar themed book about a hike in Germany? Wild was one of my absolute favorite books, followed closely by Dear Sugar by Cheryl Strayed. A compilation of advice columns she wrote. Riveting, kind, and life-altering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 08:34 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
Quote:
Finished The Good Daughter by Karin Slaughter. It was quite good and I rated it with 3 out of 5 stars. It was a good page turner but basically not my genre.

Now I'm about halfway throughthe Germany version of Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed. Absolutely love it! I can feel the pain of carrying a backpack more than half your weight, the sore feet and aching muscles. What an adventure.

I'm also reading Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford. Something completely different. I haven't read about the aftermath of Pearl Harbor yet and it is quite interesting to read something from the sight of the Chinese/Japanese people living in the North-West USA then.

I agree...Hotel on the Corner....was very different...learned a lot about that era and circumstances.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:29 AM

75 posts, read 43,801 times
Just finished Wool by Hugh Howey--really liked this one.

In a ruined and toxic future, a community exists in a giant silo underground, hundreds of stories deep. There, men and women live in a society full of regulations they believe are meant to protect them. Sheriff Holston, who has unwaveringly upheld the silo’s rules for years, unexpectedly breaks the greatest taboo of all: He asks to go outside.

Just started Ready Player One. I know I will love it. And Steven Spielberg is making it into a movie.

In the year 2045, reality is an ugly place. The only time teenage Wade Watts really feels alive is when he's jacked into the virtual utopia known as the OASIS. Wade's devoted his life to studying the puzzles hidden within this world's digital confines—puzzles that are based on their creator's obsession with the pop culture of decades past and that promise massive power and fortune to whoever can unlock them.

But when Wade stumbles upon the first clue, he finds himself beset by players willing to kill to take this ultimate prize. The race is on, and if Wade's going to survive, he'll have to win—and confront the real world he's always been so desperate to escape.

Old 01-23-2018, 02:57 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I agree...Hotel on the Corner....was very different...learned a lot about that era and circumstances.
I thought that was a terrible book. Such a shallow treatment of the internment issue. it read like a YA book, and I didn't see how it would be enlightening for people older than 12-18. The rest of my book club liked it, though.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:05 PM

443 posts, read 437,458 times
I started this book, "Landslide" by Melissa Leet. (I won the book in a GR giveaway.)

I think the plot is great (I'm only 50% in) but it's very disjointed in the way it's told. It's one of those that jumps back and forth through time, past and present-day. Just when I get into say the present-day events it jumps back into the past. It's killing me. Not enough to where I won't continue but it's very frustrating.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a l'ouest View Post
I started this book, "Landslide" by Melissa Leet. (I won the book in a GR giveaway.)

I think the plot is great (I'm only 50% in) but it's very disjointed in the way it's told. It's one of those that jumps back and forth through time, past and present-day. Just when I get into say the present-day events it jumps back into the past. It's killing me. Not enough to where I won't continue but it's very frustrating.
I know that sometimes doing this works really well, but even when it does, I personally don't like it. It's always jarring to me, because I'll get into the stuff that's happening in one time period, and then abruptly it shifts to the companion story when I'm really into the other story. And then it happens again with the companion story. Sometimes if it alternates each chapter (like the even chapters are all one story and the odd are the related story) I'll skip ahead and read the next part in the time period I'm enjoying.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:17 PM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
By the "Germany version" do you mean Wild translated into German, or is there another similar themed book about a hike in Germany? Wild was one of my absolute favorite books, followed closely by Dear Sugar by Cheryl Strayed. A compilation of advice columns she wrote. Riveting, kind, and life-altering.
Sorry, a typing mistake. I mean the German version. A translation into German. Sometimes I even get cheap books in my own mother tongue

Old 01-24-2018, 06:04 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:

I liked both Wild and Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet. I have the Good Daughter checked out from the library now. That one is next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
Thought I'd ask again.
Sorry I haven't read it. It is on my To Read list but I got burnt out of the war stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjagginyinz View Post
Just finished Wool by Hugh Howey--really liked this one.

Just started Ready Player One. I know I will love it. And Steven Spielberg is making it into a movie.
Both of those are on my list. Isn't that already a movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I thought that was a terrible book. Such a shallow treatment of the internment issue. it read like a YA book, and I didn't see how it would be enlightening for people older than 12-18. The rest of my book club liked it, though.
I liked it. Yes it simplified things but it was actually the fist book I read about the internment. Then I read two more after that and HCBAS was the best of the bunch. Can you recommend a good book about the internment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a l'ouest View Post

Those can get confusing. I just finished Behind Closed Doors and it worked well, plus I didn't get confused.

Quote:
I know that sometimes doing this works really well, but even when it does, I personally don't like it. It's always jarring to me, because I'll get into the stuff that's happening in one time period, and then abruptly it shifts to the companion story when I'm really into the other story. And then it happens again with the companion story. Sometimes if it alternates each chapter (like the even chapters are all one story and the odd are the related story) I'll skip ahead and read the next part in the time period I'm enjoying.
Ugg....don't ever read Life After Life.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:14 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,940,183 times
Quote:
I agree with you - there are many books that are done this way, and sometimes you like one story so much better that it's irritating to go on to the next chapter in a different time frame that doesn't interest you. Fannie Flagg's Filling Station book was like that for me. Interestingly, I discovered you could read it as two entirely different self-contained novels. I liked the one story, and didn't even finish the story written in the past.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I

I liked it. Yes it simplified things but it was actually the fist book I read about the internment. Then I read two more after that and HCBAS was the best of the bunch. Can you recommend a good book about the internment?

There is Strangers from a Different Shore, which has been sitting in my TBR pile for years. But as far as either a historical novel or nonfiction narrative story about the Internment, I haven't come across one, although I'd be very interested in reading one. I wish I had something to recommend -- I was just very disappointed in HCBAS, and found it trite, shallow, not believable and to boot had the "magical negro" trope within it, which is at best, lazy and unimaginative, and at worst, outright racist. Plus, the dialogue was especially awful, the timing was off, and all the characters in the later portion of the story acted about twenty years older than they were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books