Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2017, 01:10 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,549,345 times

Advertisements

Tried the first few chapters of The Time Traveler's Wife, wasn't hooked, put it aside and began Gaiman's 'American Gods', which is AWESOME. I love his writing (and knew who Mr. Wednesday was the moment he said his name should be 'Thursday, given the weather', as they were experiencing a thunderstorm--I'm a huge mythology buff).

Gaiman is incredible. I'm also currently reading the entire run of his version of Sandman, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 03:07 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,757,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
I downloaded a free book called "The Secret Garden". It has been a great read so far. I had never heard of it and am enjoying it immensely. It's written by Frances Hodgsdon Burnett.
Love this book. It's one of my all time favorites. I first read it as a child and have reread it many times since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I was interviewing gardeners to take care of my yards while we were going to be traveling for a couple of years, and one woman commented "This is like 'The Secret Garden.'" At the time I thought it was a compliment, but after reading this book's description on Goodreads, I am not certain!
I think it is a compliment.

Old 07-20-2017, 03:12 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,757,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
I'm working my way through David Eddings novels at the moment. I finished the Belgariad series and I'm reading the Mallorean series now.
The Belgariad is one of my favorite fantasy series ever. I've also reread this series several times. I didn't like the Mallorean nearly as much and eventually stopped buying his books. For me, his later books never even came close to what he achieved in his first series.

Old 07-20-2017, 04:11 PM

9,732 posts, read 4,061,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
I downloaded a free book called "The Secret Garden". It has been a great read so far. I had never heard of it and am enjoying it immensely. It's written by Frances Hodgsdon Burnett.

I liked the book, the movie not so much.

Old 07-20-2017, 04:15 PM

9,732 posts, read 4,061,457 times
I am reading "Mandingo" right now. Wow is all I can say.

Old 07-20-2017, 04:42 PM

4,794 posts, read 2,797,961 times
Default Sugar & spice & everything nice ...

Now reading - Xenogenesis / Octavia E. Butler, c1989, Warner Books. (This version out of print, also referred to as Lilith's brood)

Notes
Dawn -- Adulthood rites -- Imago - the three novels which make up the trilogy.

Length
726 pages ;

An interesting read, I've heard of her, but hadn't read any. 74 pages in, & the story is holding my attention. A post-apocalyptic set of stories, a lot of discussion about what survival means, & what human means. A good sign, to be sure.

Old 07-20-2017, 06:15 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Skylarking by Kate Mildenhall. I'm only able to read for an hour or so before sleep, so this short book is slow going, but I'm enjoying it well enough to pick it up again each night so...

Netwit, it's a coming-of-age story and I think that you might like it. If you start it today you'll be finished before I even get midway through it.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:37 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Skylarking by Kate Mildenhall. I'm only able to read for an hour or so before sleep, so this short book is slow going, but I'm enjoying it well enough to pick it up again each night so...

Netwit, it's a coming-of-age story and I think that you might like it. If you start it today you'll be finished before I even get midway through it.
I'm not even through the sample and I think I love it. I love the voice, anyway.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:56 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandgirl View Post
I am reading "Mandingo" right now. Wow is all I can say.
I read Mandingo in my early 20's and have never forgotten the horrors related. I had nightmares.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:06 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I gave up on News of the World. Despite the glowing reviews, it really wasn't very good. I did skip to the end to see how it turned out. Next I'll be choosing between The Nix and Fates and Furies.

Those are both good reads! Fates and Furies had some weird author-quirk that popped up throughout the book where the author would drop to parentheses and comment on what was going on like a reader/observer might. There is probably a literary term for this maneuver, but, regardless it was annoying! That said, the story kept me very engaged and had some interesting twists.

The Nix is one of the best books that I've read in quite a while! I can't wait to hear what you think about it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books