Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2017, 10:03 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
Rules of Civility by Amor Towles
A Certain Smile by Francoise Sagan
The Collected Wisdom of Florence Scovel Shinn
I loved Rules of Civility!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 07:16 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,373,010 times
I just finished 2nd Kings.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:12 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
I gave up on News of the World. Despite the glowing reviews, it really wasn't very good. I did skip to the end to see how it turned out. Next I'll be choosing between The Nix and Fates and Furies.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:25 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Next I'll be choosing between The Nix and Fates and Furies.
Both!

(Although... Fates and Furies bugged me a bit... I don't remember why. Maybe it was only at the end? Still don't remember. I wrote about it on this forum, but I didn't search for it.)

Old 07-19-2017, 09:51 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Both!

(Although... Fates and Furies bugged me a bit... I don't remember why. Maybe it was only at the end? Still don't remember. I wrote about it on this forum, but I didn't search for it.)
I bought them both at Half-Price Books, which I rarely do, but I had a coupon. I'll start The Nix tonight since it didn't bug you.

Old 07-19-2017, 02:04 PM

1,665 posts, read 973,862 times
I've started reading the Necroscope series again by Brian Lumley.

I'm also thinking about going through my personal library and choosing a book or two from Stephen King. Under The Dome, The Stand and Insomnia are calling out to me. I've read Eyes of the Dragon by King a long time ago. I'm about to order that one and few others to expand my library.

I've been watching The Shannara Chronicles on tv. I've read that series years ago. Think I may order them also. I enjoyed getting lost in the series.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:14 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Mayberry! How nice to 'see' you!
Hi, my friend. You, too!

I am still reading "The Soul of an Octopus" by Sy Montgomery and I love it, but I can only read about 20-30 pages at a time and then have to take a break. It's fascinating, but also devastating to think that such intelligent, capable creatures are at our mercies -- and with the ever increasing extinction rate we are causing by our lifestyle my heart breaks for all our critters. My sister read it, loved it, and loaned me her copy to share the experience with her and I am glad she did.

So, during the breaks I am side-stepping to "Britt-Marie Was Here," by Fredrik Backman and he hasn't lost his touch since "A Man Called Ove." Again, though, a difficult read, being a 61 year old housewife myself. DH hasn't struck up a relationship (that I know of) and I think his heart is healthy -- but still a bit close to home.

Then, while in the sewing room when I am not listening to continuous podcasts describing these "interesting" political times, I am listening to Wendy Tyson's "A Muddied Murder." It's a cozy, and not my usual fare but it's not too drippy or silly or madcap so I am satisfied.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:06 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,970 times
I just finished up Utopia for Realists by Rutger Bregman. I searched for anything by him after seeing his TED Talk (it's relatively recent and you can easily find it on the TED site -- I highly recommend it.) I loved this book -- it really makes you realize that things do not have to be the way they currently are. Very thought provoking and also a quick and easy read.

I'm about to start The Hate U Give for my book club, but I'm wondering if I should squeeze in something else first, since my book club meets in two weeks, and it shouldn't take me two weeks to read this one. But I don't want to read something too long and then be in a rush for Hate U Give. (I have lots in my TBR pile I could choose.)

Old 07-20-2017, 08:21 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I'm about to start The Hate U Give for my book club, but I'm wondering if I should squeeze in something else first, since my book club meets in two weeks, and it shouldn't take me two weeks to read this one. But I don't want to read something too long and then be in a rush for Hate U Give. (I have lots in my TBR pile I could choose.)
I have this book and, although it gets great reviews, my interest in reading it is low. I don't know why. So I'm curious to hear what you think/thought of it.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:05 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,249,859 times
I'm working my way through David Eddings novels at the moment. I finished the Belgariad series and I'm reading the Mallorean series now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books