Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2017, 07:33 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
Just finished the German version of Inseparable by Dora Heldt which was okay. The best of the book was the ending. It made me cry a little. It was about friendship between women, how you can lose contact for a few years and get back to a real friendship in no time at all, how important it is to have friends to lean on etc.

At least 15 years ago I read Salt on our Skin. I can't remember if it was any good so I got a used German issue and started it yesterday. The author is French (Benoîte Groult) and I think it's a love story. I haven't read a good love story in ages so I'm excited to get to bed tonight and go on reading.

Maybe I can squeeze in some minutes free time this afternoon and also in my lunch break to go on with Beautiful Lies by Lisa Unger. I wish I had more time to read.
These all sound good! Thanks for quick reviews!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 07:37 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
I am a couple of chapters into The Hidden Life of Trees by Peter Wohlleben. This is the book for you if you love trees (and boy, do I ever) and have a high tolerance for anthropomorphism. Though I have a firm science background and professionally read a ton of research articles (think double blind, placebo-controlled, randomized...), I am loving the author's beautifully written summaries of how trees grow, communicate and even feel. I'll never walk through a forest in the same way again.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:42 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
White Trash. The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America by Nancy Isenberg.
I thought this was great. It kind of surprised me (naively) that the poor have always been vilified and there has never been any intent to assist or enable them to no longer be poor.

I just finished Evicted, and I highly recommend that as your next read if you like White Trash.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:45 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
"Testimony" is Scott Turow's latest book. Years ago I would read everything he wrote. I don't know why I quit.

I finished "Testimony" today. IMO, it is an exceptional read. It's fiction, current day and deals with a case before The Hague dealing with a small village of Roms (gypsies) that disappeared during the Serb wars.

If it was a movie the characters would "burst from the screen." Turow is a master of intricate plots and very intense characters. I loved the book. I feel a bit like I've come home again.
Thanks for this. I used to love Turow, too. (And Crichton.) Somehow, I developed a bias against "pop fiction." I haven't read a new Turow in a long time. This sounds interesting - I'll look into it.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:46 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
Chariots Of The Gods
Heaven Changes Everything: The Rest Of Our Story

Old 07-05-2017, 09:34 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,162,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Chariots Of The Gods
Heaven Changes Everything: The Rest Of Our Story
Several years ago I was fascinated by the Ancient Astronaut theory. I am not as active as I used to be but I will look for new material on this topic. I read Chariots years ago!

Old 07-06-2017, 09:45 AM

4,794 posts, read 2,798,355 times
Default Good days & bad

Lone survivor / by Marcus Luttrell with Patrick Robinson, 1940-, c2007, Little Brown & Co., 958.1047 Lutt.

Subjects
• Luttrell, Marcus.
• United States. -- Navy. -- SEALs.
• Afghan War, 2001- -- Campaigns.
• Afghan War, 2001- -- Personal narratives, American.

Length
• 386 pages : photos, map

The basis for the movie, same name. Luttrell’s story of growing up in Texas, joining the SEALs, & a very bad day in Afghanistan. Some more detailed maps would have been helpful. An engrossing story, the SEALs struggled mightily. An inside view of SEALs, how they train, how they deploy.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:16 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I am a couple of chapters into The Hidden Life of Trees by Peter Wohlleben. This is the book for you if you love trees (and boy, do I ever) and have a high tolerance for anthropomorphism. Though I have a firm science background and professionally read a ton of research articles (think double blind, placebo-controlled, randomized...), I am loving the author's beautifully written summaries of how trees grow, communicate and even feel. I'll never walk through a forest in the same way again.
Another tree-lover here! That book went right on the list. Have you read The Man Who Planted Trees by Jim Robbins? https://www.amazon.com/Man-Who-Plant.../dp/0812981294

It's an interesting blend of science and woo-woo and a good read if you're a tree-lover.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:18 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I read that a few years ago for book club, and it was a good re-introduction to Austen. I remember having to read Pride and Prejudice in high school and not liking it... I enjoyed Persuasion but it did take a lot of focus for moi to get through the sentences (sure used a ton of words. Since then I have sought out a few others from that era and while they still feel a bit like work to me, I do enjoy them on a different level.

I finished The Bridge of San Luis Rey which was quite good-----but I was distracted during some of it so I might just browse it again (short book).
I just started Winnie The Pooh which I never read before.
Persuasion does require concentration to get through the sentence structure, but the story itself is easy to understand and timeless. Austen's observations of human nature are as true today as they were when she wrote it. That's what makes it a classic, I suppose.

I read TBoSLR a long time ago and loved it. Might have to look for a copy.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:21 PM

66 posts, read 47,163 times
The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined by Steven Pinker
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books