Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2017, 02:06 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Thank you so much ladies. I have never had a dog until old age and it is really hard. They are our family...and yeah I liked her much better than a lot of people...even family, lol.

Anyway....I need some light hearted books if you can think of any. Otherwise I will just fall into some sappy romance books with happy endings right now. I can do "happy" crying because I am tired of sad crying.
I'm so sorry. It's heart-wrenching to lose our furry family members.

As far as cheery or funny, have you ever read any of The Spellman Files books by Lisa Lutz? There are 3 or 4 and the first couple are very funny. They got a little darker at the end.

Bossy Pants by Tina Fey is funny and light-hearted. Most Christopher Moore books are silly and will make you laugh--some more so than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 02:13 PM

2,527 posts, read 2,775,949 times
Quote:
OK...I need some cheery books. I had to out my little Niki girl to sleep yesterday. I'm still weepy today.

My girl
//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...2003-2017.html
Oh, I'm so sorry to read this. What a cutie.

How about some Bill Bryson? I can't remember your genre of choice, but his books always take me away. I'm just about to re-read A Walk In The Woods so he came to mind.

Old 04-12-2017, 03:58 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Thank you so much ladies. I have never had a dog until old age and it is really hard. They are our family...and yeah I liked her much better than a lot of people...even family, lol.

Anyway....I need some light hearted books if you can think of any. Otherwise I will just fall into some sappy romance books with happy endings right now. I can do "happy" crying because I am tired of sad crying.
What sort of books do you like?

Old 04-12-2017, 03:59 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post

As far as cheery or funny, have you ever read any of The Spellman Files books by Lisa Lutz? There are 3 or 4 and the first couple are very funny. They got a little darker at the end.

Bossy Pants by Tina Fey is funny and light-hearted. Most Christopher Moore books are silly and will make you laugh--some more so than others.
I vote for Bossy Pants by Tina Fey as well!

Also, any of Bill Bryson's books about travel - they crack me up!

And Dave Barry's Book of Bad Songs is so funny I've ordered it at least five times because I let people borrow it and they never return it - or they even "accidentally steal" it from my house!

Quote:
When funnyman Dave Barry asked readers about their least favorite tunes, he thought he was penning just another installment of his weekly syndicated humor column. But the witty writer was flabbergasted by the response when over 10,000 readers voted. "I have never written a column that got a bigger response than the one announcing the Bad Song Survey," Barry wrote.Based on the results of the survey, Dave Barry's Book of Bad Songs is a compilation of some of the worst songs ever written. Dave Barry fans will relish his quirky take. Music buffs, too will appreciate this humorous stroll through the world's worst lyrics. The only thing wrong with this book is that readers will find themselves unable to stop mentally singing the greatest hits of Gary Puckett.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...k_of_Bad_Songs

Be forwarned -you either need to be somewhere between the ages of 50 and 80 to really get into this book, or be a huge fan of 60s, 70s and 80s pop music.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 04-12-2017 at 04:09 PM..

Old 04-12-2017, 06:04 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,555,108 times
Just finished 99 Stories of the Game. (Wayne Gretzky & Kirstie McLellan Day)

Interesting accounts, and brief biographies, from hockey history, combined with personal observations & experiences from Gretzky's career.
Good read for hockey fans, and fans of sports history.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:38 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Just finished 99 Stories of the Game. (Wayne Gretzky & Kirstie McLellan Day)

Interesting accounts, and brief biographies, from hockey history, combined with personal observations & experiences from Gretzky's career.
Good read for hockey fans, and fans of sports history.
I gave my husband that book when he was in the hospital. He said it was a good hospital book.

Old 04-12-2017, 10:27 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Ylisa, So sorry to read about the loss of your beloved Niki girl. Along with Marlo and Kathryn, I think you might like Tina Fey's, Bossy Pants. I found it laugh out loud funny.

Old 04-12-2017, 10:28 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I started Goodbye, Columbus by Philip Roth last night. I'm loving it! It's a totally different story but it has a Marjorie Morningstar feel to it, at least for me -- I guess it's the time period.
I didn'd read this one, but loved the movie.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:27 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I didn'd read this one, but loved the movie.
Funny, it *reads* like a movie. I can see it. I actually looked it up on IMDB to see who stars in it so that when I'm reading it -- and seeing it! -- I can see Richard Benjamin and Ali MacGraw in my head. It made me giggle to see that Jack Klugman is in it (as Brenda's father) and that the lead character's name, who Richard Benjamin plays, is Neil Klugman.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:35 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post

I have both The Spellman Files and bossy Pants on my very dusty to read list. I will see if my library has either one. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
Oh, I'm so sorry to read this. What a cutie.

How about some Bill Bryson? I can't remember your genre of choice, but his books always take me away. I'm just about to re-read A Walk In The Woods so he came to mind.
I have that book and started it once before. Maybe I can sink into now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
What sort of books do you like?
What don't I like Usually when I am in a reading slump I need a really light read like a cheesy romance, a YA Dystopian to take me away or a Suspense novel which used to be my favorite books. I will go with a few of those and also try the ones suggested.

I just finished An Officer and a Spy by Robert Harris. It is a book based on the Dreyfus affair that happened in France from 1894-1906. It is a terrible case of anti semitism and one officer who could not abide the whole cover up and makes it his job to blow the whole thing open for the truth. It is an interesting book but a little slow on the reading side for me. There were a lot of needed details but it just dragged for me.

I went to the library yesterday to pick up some holds. My two most promising for lighter reads are:

The Bookshop on the Corner
byJenny Colgan:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...-on-the-corner

and
Hannah's Dream by Diane Hammond:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...om_search=true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books