Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 01:29 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,449,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
The NeverEnding Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
This makes me giggle.
There does seem to be a certain sense of irony to it.

Very rarely do I not force myself to finish a book-usually it's with the hope it will get better at some point. However, I'm part of a social group that for a while was doing a classic book club based on a list put out by Modern Library. "All the King's Men" by Robert Penn Warren was one of the selections. I don't even remember how far I got before I decided that in 50 years when I was laying on my death bed I would not find myself thinking "I really wish I'd finished that book" and put it down in favor of one of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books.

Also a selection for this now defunct book club which I have yet to finish is "The Secret Agent" by Joseph Conrad. According to Goodreads, I've been reading it since September 2009. I'm on page 76. I may finish this one-my friend (who did actually read it) has bribed me with ice cream if I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 05:37 PM

2,089 posts, read 1,417,063 times
The last two Jean Auel books. The first two were wonderful. The third and fourth ones so-so. Never finished the last two. What's more thirty years is too long to wait for a six-series books to be written.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:41 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
The last two Jean Auel books. The first two were wonderful. The third and fourth ones so-so. Never finished the last two. What's more thirty years is too long to wait for a six-series books to be written.
Haha! You should go read our past thread on those books! The last two books were painfully bad, so some of us decided to "re-write" things in the thread. Yes, Auel certainly decided to rest on her (big, fat) laurels after the first few wonderfully detailed and well-written books. She just mailed in the last two books.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:07 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,608,601 times
'Tropic of Cancer' - Henry Miller...Maybe I should try again now that I'm a little older, but I found it tedious.

I've tried twice to read 'Ulysses'...It just ain't happening.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:22 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.2 View Post
oil! by upton sinclair. after watching p.t. anderson's there will be blood (2007).
Ken Follet's Winter of the Worlds.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:25 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
I give up on books quite frequently (darned ADD), but as a librarian in youth services, the one that people are always surprised I didn't finish was the first Harry Potter. I tried, and gave up about 50-70 pages from the end... the fact that I don't even remember why I gave up, nor have any desire to try again, tells me it's just not my cup of tea. Sorry.

Old 11-30-2013, 08:00 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,350,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I give up on books quite frequently (darned ADD), but as a librarian in youth services, the one that people are always surprised I didn't finish was the first Harry Potter. I tried, and gave up about 50-70 pages from the end... the fact that I don't even remember why I gave up, nor have any desire to try again, tells me it's just not my cup of tea. Sorry.
I have never understood why people are surprised when someone doesn't like a book that is popular or they themselves liked. We are all different so it shouldn't be a surprise we all won't like the same things.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:35 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,072 times
the vampire lestat by anne rice.. i mean god how many times can lestat describe a jacket he is wearing before we get to the damn point??

Old 12-04-2013, 10:02 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,069,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
the vampire lestat by anne rice.. i mean god how many times can lestat describe a jacket he is wearing before we get to the damn point??
LOL. That's how I feel about Stephen King books. Do we have to spend 10 pages on how cloudy it is outside?

So, my answer is Stephen King books.
50 Shades of Gray - couldn't get past the idiocy of the main character and the lame "erotica" title it received.
Ayn Rand - just couldn't do it
A Dance with Dragons - I pushed hard through the first 6 books. I can't seem to get through this one for the life of me.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:32 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
LOL. That's how I feel about Stephen King books. Do we have to spend 10 pages on how cloudy it is outside?

So, my answer is Stephen King books.
50 Shades of Gray - couldn't get past the idiocy of the main character and the lame "erotica" title it received.
Ayn Rand - just couldn't do it
A Dance with Dragons - I pushed hard through the first 6 books. I can't seem to get through this one for the life of me.
i pushed thru 50 shades of grey just to cackle every few sentences at the horrid-ness of it all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books