Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 11:03 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,395,633 times

Advertisements

Lord Foul's Bane, the first book in Stephen R. Donaldson's Chronicles of Thomas Covenant series. I generally enjoy epic fantasy series, and many people consider this to be one of the best. I found the protagonist to be so thoroughly unlikeable that I had no desire to finish the first book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 02:25 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,069,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
I loved the first three books. I tore through them years before the series started. I also read through all of A Dance with Dragons quickly, though it wasn't as good.

A Feast for Crows...that one was harder. I skipped most of the Brienne chapters. They were boring.
My friend, at least, had warned me that every other book was going to be painfully slow. I've been trying to get through A Dance with Dragons for the past, oh jeez, 2 years. LOL. I may get the audio version from him since I'll be on a long commute. Maybe that'll help, instead of reading it.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:21 PM

389 posts, read 692,395 times
"As I lay Dying" by William Faulkner. I'm sure I'll give it another try at some point in the future, though. The first time I watched "Citizen Kane" I had to stop it half way through, then I watched it again the next day the whole way through and loved it. Go figure.

Last edited by ThisIsMe123; 12-27-2013 at 10:21 PM.. Reason: additional info

Old 12-28-2013, 06:36 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,375,680 times
I recently gave up on Just One Evil Act by Elizabeth George.

I don't know what happened to her writing since I loved her Inspector Lindley stories but had trouble with What Came Before He Shot Her and it took several tries to get through it, then Careless in Red was a bit better and so I got her latest and was so disappointed. Apparently I missed two others that came after Careless but I don't think I'll bother to try them.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:08 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,462,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
the vampire lestat by anne rice.. i mean god how many times can lestat describe a jacket he is wearing before we get to the damn point??
I remember trying to get through it, not sure if I made it past chapter one it was so annoying. I think I've only really enjoyed maybe two of Ms Rice' books one of the popular ones, Exit to Eden and the other title escapes me, might have been something about Eunuchs or maybe that was another author.

There have been many since, I had listed a bunch of books I was about to read, I wasn't able to get any past the third chapter of most even if there was one that I was curious about the ending, I just skipped to the last chapter to satisfy my itch. Thank goodness I've finally found something that is holding my interest, though at first, I almost gave up on this one by an author I've much admired in the past. Jeannette Walls I really am enjoying her latest offering..

Old 01-13-2014, 03:06 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,027 times
I can't get into Fahrenheit 451; 15 pages in I always throw it back onto my "to read" pile for the next couple years.

I've also given Their Eyes Were Watching God a couple of unfinished starts, but those were more due to other pressing books that grabbed my attention, and I'm sure I won't leave it perpetually unfinished.

I also stopped reading War and Peace about 1000 pages in when a summer ended and I had to go back to school. I suppose I'll have to start over again one day . . .

Old 01-15-2014, 08:09 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,925 times
The latest one on my list is "The Interestings". I don't care that it is my book club selection and I don't care that I spent $10.99 on the download. My reading time is too valuable for this snooze fest.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:29 AM

278 posts, read 273,742 times
1984 comes to mind. I have tried at least 3 times I just can't get into it. I LOVE Animal Farm but 1984 I just can't get into.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:56 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,303,705 times
The Kite Runner

Old 01-16-2014, 06:17 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,189,754 times
They were so long awaited since I loved their other books and so popular that the library only allowed a one week loan.
I got them during an unusually busy time but when I returned them unfinished I didn't even care, they were both so disappointing.
If I cared more, I would have made enough time
The Valley of Amazement ...Amy Tan ....might have been OK if edited to about half the length
The Quest...DeMille
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books