Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 10:43 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,070,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
i pushed thru 50 shades of grey just to cackle every few sentences at the horrid-ness of it all
Haha. I didn't quite finish it. I tried, just couldn't do it. Someone finally had to tell me the ending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 08:27 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Haha. I didn't quite finish it. I tried, just couldn't do it. Someone finally had to tell me the ending.
its quite terrible.. a pathetic abusive relationships masqueraded as BDSM and most of the plot structure stolen from Twilight, how Stephenie Meyer didn't sue her I have no clue

Old 12-06-2013, 12:14 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,259,799 times
Couldn't get past the "droogie malchik" language in "A Clockwork Orange".

Old 12-07-2013, 11:32 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,376,749 times
The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco. Liked the movie OK but could only make it about half way through the book.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:50 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,015 times
I made several attempts to get through The Trial by Franz Kafka but never got more than 50 pages.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:00 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Black Swan Green
omg, me too. Of course, I'm sure we forget most of the books we start and don't finish, because, afterall, if they were memorable we would have finished them.

But I remember being very disappointed in Black Swan Green, which got a bit of hype. I wouldnt have remembered it on my own.

Tried and tried to read the Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. And I am a fantasy fan.

Another book I know I tried to read but just could not: Twilight. My daughter read them all, and we've always shared favorites in the past, but I couldn't get past a certain point in the book...which coincidentally is the same point in the movie where I find myself wandering off....

AND I could not read One Hundred Years of Solitude even tho it was my college best friend's favorite.

AND i found JK Rowling's new book completely intolerable even though I acknowledged from the start that it would not be harry Potter and I generally like British stories.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:04 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
LoL I was not aware that it had a plot!

Old 12-09-2013, 08:57 AM

863 posts, read 1,196,661 times
I very rarely leave a book unfinished......no matter how bad. That being said; I Tried and Tried to make it through "The Shack" by Young and failed dismally.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:53 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdancer View Post
I very rarely leave a book unfinished......no matter how bad. That being said; I Tried and Tried to make it through "The Shack" by Young and failed dismally.
I tried 3 times but I didn't get past page 10 or so. I wasn't/am not even sure what it was meant to be about. The words all turned to gibberish before my eyes no matter how many times I reread pages. And I didn't understand the description in the book jacket either. Methinks I am not meant to read it.

Other than that, there were quite a few Stephen King books I didn't finish. I think mostly I don't recall all the books I couldn't finish but King sticks out in my memory because I had liked his earlier work, and The Shack sticks out because I've never before had that sensation of words swimming before my eyes to the point where I can't tell what's going on.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:10 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyFeller View Post
I don't think I ever finished 10,000 leagues under the sea.
Obviously. There were 10,000 more Leagues. I think I read that when I was about ten.

I quit last night reading Nenni Holmqvist's "The Unit". "And then I went to lunch, and there was (insert menu here). And then walked in the garden and saw (insert bird species list here),"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Black Swan Green
Me neither. I bet you got farther than I did.

I wish I hadn't finished "Lonesome Dove". The second half read like he got bored and turned it over to a class of undergrads to finish for him. I wasted about 300 pages of reading.

Oh, and Alexie's "Part time Indian". After about 3 pages, I glanced ahead, and al the way through the book, almost every sentence stated with "I mean" or "Yep" or "And then" or "Really". Reading it was like going on a long car trip with a bored ten-year-old telling me a story that he hadn't thought through in advance..

Last edited by jtur88; 12-09-2013 at 10:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books