Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 12:26 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,438,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I think that Hollywood has failed miserably in bringing classic SciFi to the big screen.
I think they did OK with The Body Snatchers (Finney, 1955)
Terrifying for its time and that decade. My ghod, it's almost 60 years old

Hey OP! There's an alien invasion book that stays on earth!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 01:11 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,850,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
I think they did OK with The Body Snatchers (Finney, 1955)
Terrifying for its time and that decade. My ghod, it's almost 60 years old

Hey OP! There's an alien invasion book that stays on earth!
True,and I've never read it!

Old 04-30-2015, 05:39 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,251,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
For flat-out alien invasion books, one of my all-time favorite's is Footfall by Niven & Pournelle. A series in one huge book, LOL.
I loved Footfall! Another good one by Niven & Pournelle is The Mote in God's Eye.

Also check out Orson Scott Card's Ender series starting with Ender's Game.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
I loved Footfall! Another good one by Niven & Pournelle is The Mote in God's Eye.

Also check out Orson Scott Card's Ender series starting with Ender's Game.
The synopsis of the Ender's series has just never appealed to me.Don't want to read or watch anything with teens trained as soldiers,teen warriors/ killers,and supposedly the future of the world depends on them,nor aliens that look like insects.

I agree with chuckmann in loving the Will Smith~ I Robot,or as I first mentioned I was an avid fan of the series"V",and Steven Spielberg's ~"Taken". Guess no one has the talent to write a sci-fi BOOK series,like one for television or a movie.

The ones I have decided to check out are~

The Taking (The Taking #1)by Kimberly Derting

Alienated by Melissa Landers

Invaded (An Alienated Novel) by Melissa Landers

The Gods Themselves by Isaac Asimov

The 5th Wave (The Fifth Wave #1)by Rick Yancey

The Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven

Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke

Invasion by Robin Cook

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 05-01-2015 at 06:41 AM..

Old 05-01-2015, 06:58 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,251,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
The synopsis of the Ender's series has just never appealed to me.Don't want to read or watch anything with teens trained as soldiers,teen warriors/ killers,and supposedly the future of the world depends on them,nor aliens that look like insects.
Gee when I first read Ender's Game many, many years ago, it didn't have any synopsis and was highly recommended by several friends. I've read the whole series as did my son. We both enjoyed it tremendously. Maybe you would enjoy the Homecoming Saga series by Card.

Quote:
The ones I have decided to check out are~

The Taking (The Taking #1)by Kimberly Derting

Alienated by Melissa Landers

Invaded (An Alienated Novel) by Melissa Landers

The Gods Themselves by Isaac Asimov

The 5th Wave (The Fifth Wave #1)by Rick Yancey

The Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven

Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke

Invasion by Robin Cook
Anything by Isaac Asimov or Arthur C. Clarke are outstanding! Glad to see Mote made it onto your list. Enjoy your reads

Old 05-01-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted
Maybe you would enjoy the Homecoming Saga series by Card.
The Homecoming Saga is a science fiction series by Orson Scott Card. The series is patterned on the Book of Mormon.

Homecoming Saga - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nope,not for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted
Anything by Isaac Asimov or Arthur C. Clarke are outstanding! Glad to see Mote made it onto your list. Enjoy your reads
Thank you,I know many,many enjoy the books by Orson Scott Card,they just don't even appeal to me,they are not my kind of sci-fi.

I also borrowed Robot Visions by Isaac Asimov.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:51 AM

26,739 posts, read 26,828,098 times
This is an informative thread on good science fiction books. I loved Red Mars.
//www.city-data.com/forum/space...i-fi-book.html

Old 05-01-2015, 10:53 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,285,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
I think that Hollywood has failed miserably in bringing classic SciFi to the big screen. I blame this on Star Wars. Only the Will Smith I Robot passes muster, IMHO, in terms of classic SciFi.
Wow. I really couldn't possibly disagree more. I HATED the Will Smith I, Robot movie simply because it was so Hollywood. All special effects. No story.

But the movies have actually done a spectacularly good job of adapting sci fi to the big screen, sometimes even improving on it. I give you ...

BLADE RUNNER. Perhaps the greatest science fiction movie ever made. The novel on which it is based (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick) is actually quite horrible.

MINORITY REPORT. A great movie based on a lackluster story by Philip K. Dick.

TOTAL RECALL. A fun if rather ridiculous movie based on a really boring and at times incoherent story by Philip K. Dick. (Sensing a pattern here?)

2010. A really good adaptation of Clark's novel.

STARSHIP TROOPERS. Not only did it manage to be way better than the book, but it's a fantastic piece of social satire. Sociology professors ought to show this movie to every class.

The PLANET OF THE APES movies varied all over in quality, but even the worst of them were better than the novel.

THE IRON GIANT is a fantastic movie. I've never read the book.

JURASSIC PARK is way better than the book.

LOGAN'S RUN is great. Never read the book.

THE THING (both versions) is also great. Never read the original story.

THE TIME MACHINE from 1960 is a fantastic version of that classic story. THE WAR OF THE WORLDS ain't too shabby either.

Old 05-01-2015, 02:48 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,330,582 times
Quote:

Have you or anyone read I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies) by Pittacus Lore,and the other books in the series? I think they sound good,and I really enjoyed the movie "I Am Number Four". Amazon.com: I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies Book 1) eBook: Pittacus Lore: Books

I really liked the first book in the series. I cared about the characters. I started the second book but never finished it.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:30 PM

995 posts, read 1,116,144 times
Quote:
Without massive spoilers, I can't tell you why this isn't quite right.

Please give it a try. I read Ender's Game with no pre-suppositions, no idea what it was about, no idea what changes Orson Scott Card would experience in his future. But EG is a great story, with a fairly mediocre movie that many of us waited decades for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books