Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 01:55 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Nope, see my post #27. If you know anything about Mormonism,you will see that Wiki writer is telling the truth!
Oh, I see. Because you say so. Excuse me, but I am a Mormon, so I do know quite a bit about Mormonism. Please list the similarities between Card's book and The Book of Mormon, and try to be a little more specific than you've been up to now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 02:08 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,438,930 times
An Open Letter from Orson Scott Card
"While most Latter-day Saints who have read my novel The Memory of Earth (the first in a five-volume series called Homecoming) have immediately understood that I was retelling the story of the Book of Mormon..."

Old 05-02-2015, 10:50 PM

7,383 posts, read 12,675,598 times
I don't see why Card can't bring his faith into his novels. Most other writers do the same, in terms of religion or politics. Think of C. S. Lewis's books, and Kim Stanley Robinson's books! And all of Sheri Tepper's books, especially the later ones. It doesn't mean they can't be good books, it just means that the reader should expect to be courted by a viewpoint. If it turns the reader off, then all one has to do is close the book, give it away, and read something else.

Old 05-03-2015, 12:32 AM

20 posts, read 21,062 times
Ender's Game Book series is highly recommended for sci-fi fans!

Old 05-03-2015, 03:50 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,850,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Oh, I see. Because you say so. Excuse me, but I am a Mormon, so I do know quite a bit about Mormonism. Please list the similarities between Card's book and The Book of Mormon, and try to be a little more specific than you've been up to now.
I have read the Book of Mormon and also A Pearl Of Great Price.

In Ender's book[The Memory of Earth] ~Upon arrival the family will be the foundation for several great kingdoms, er, post-apocalyptic human societies. The two most prevalent of these will be the descendants of Laman, er, Elemak and Nephi, er, Nafai. The holy spirit, er, Oversoul will favor the Nephites, er, Nafaits because of the exceptional faith, er, exceptional ability to follow non-organic telepathy of their people's founder. Over time, however, the righteousness, er, telepathic susceptibility of the Nephites, er, Nafaits will erode and God, er, the Oversoul will punish the descendants of Nephi, er, Nafai by sending them a series of prophets, er, messengers of the Oversoul whom they will ignore and defame. Their rejection of these chosen men will lead to their destruction by the Lamanites, er, Elemakites, who will inherit the American continent, er, Earth instead.

Old 05-03-2015, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
An Open Letter from Orson Scott Card
"While most Latter-day Saints who have read my novel The Memory of Earth (the first in a five-volume series called Homecoming) have immediately understood that I was retelling the story of the Book of Mormon..."
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 05-03-2015, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
I don't see why Card can't bring his faith into his novels. Most other writers do the same, in terms of religion or politics. Think of C. S. Lewis's books, and Kim Stanley Robinson's books! And all of Sheri Tepper's books, especially the later ones. It doesn't mean they can't be good books, it just means that the reader should expect to be courted by a viewpoint. If it turns the reader off, then all one has to do is close the book, give it away, and read something else.
I will give you that point,which is true.It just happens to be something that turns me off,the same as,any book by an Evangelical Christian that is full of god-talk/religious proselytizing, that is supposed to be taken by the reader ....as fact.

Now,may we return to the topic,with title suggestions?

Old 05-03-2015, 05:39 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,251,102 times
How about Dan Simmons's Hyperion series?

Old 05-03-2015, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
How about Dan Simmons's Hyperion series?
Well I prefer it to be Earth based,but thanks.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:03 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,379,451 times
This goes way back but one of the early alien invasion/conquest books written was called The Puppet Masters by Robert Heinlein. I think it was written in the early 1950s. It's a bit dated by today's standards but it's sort of fun too. It was made into a pretty bad movie years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books