Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 01:19 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,850,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
This goes way back but one of the early alien invasion/conquest books written was called The Puppet Masters by Robert Heinlein. I think it was written in the early 1950s. It's a bit dated by today's standards but it's sort of fun too. It was made into a pretty bad movie years ago.

That one sounds really good,thank you!
A few others that sound my type of sci-fi ~The Sheep Look Up by John Brunner

Stand on Zanzibar

Dies the Fire by SM Stirling

Existence by David Brin

Ship of Fools by Richard Paul Russo

The Forge of God by Greg Bear

Eon by Greg Bear

V by A. C. Crispin(1984)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 03:58 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,793,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Wow. I really couldn't possibly disagree more. I HATED the Will Smith I, Robot movie simply because it was so Hollywood. All special effects. No story.

But the movies have actually done a spectacularly good job of adapting sci fi to the big screen, sometimes even improving on it. I give you ...

BLADE RUNNER. Perhaps the greatest science fiction movie ever made. The novel on which it is based (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick) is actually quite horrible.

MINORITY REPORT. A great movie based on a lackluster story by Philip K. Dick.

TOTAL RECALL. A fun if rather ridiculous movie based on a really boring and at times incoherent story by Philip K. Dick. (Sensing a pattern here?)

2010. A really good adaptation of Clark's novel.

STARSHIP TROOPERS. Not only did it manage to be way better than the book, but it's a fantastic piece of social satire. Sociology professors ought to show this movie to every class.

The PLANET OF THE APES movies varied all over in quality, but even the worst of them were better than the novel.

THE IRON GIANT is a fantastic movie. I've never read the book.

JURASSIC PARK is way better than the book.

LOGAN'S RUN is great. Never read the book.

THE THING (both versions) is also great. Never read the original story.

THE TIME MACHINE from 1960 is a fantastic version of that classic story. THE WAR OF THE WORLDS ain't too shabby either.
Hmmm... you make some good points, and we could have a fistfight over others. I accept that we view the world differently. I concede that I am a little ticked that some excellent novels have not made it to the big screen. Nor do I hold out much hope sci fi as depicted by Hollywood will ever get around to doing the great classics. Action adventure is all the rage today and evermore, audiences consist of people ho do not read nor love reading.

You are wrong about the Will Smith I Robot. It is rooted in Asimov's own ultimate robot story, as published in someone or other's Ultimate series of short stories. I recognized the theme immediately, as distorted as it was. Have you read the Harlan Ellison script of I Robot? OK but a tad trite.

Old 05-03-2015, 04:09 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,793,470 times
I see no one has mentoned the Amber series by Roger Zelazney.

First series was pretty good in a lot of places, although I recall it ending weakly.

I recall not liking the second series at all, but I did read all of them.

Old 05-03-2015, 06:49 PM

7,383 posts, read 12,677,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
That one sounds really good,thank you!
A few others that sound my type of sci-fi ~The Sheep Look Up by John Brunner

Stand on Zanzibar

Existence by David Brin

Ship of Fools by Richard Paul Russo

The Forge of God by Greg Bear

Eon by Greg Bear

V by A. C. Crispin(1984)
One of the best Sci-Fi novels ever written, IMO. But it only takes place on Earth in a roundabout way. Still, I'd highly recommend it.

Another excellent classic is Timescape by Gregory Benford. Definitely on Earth! Aliens, not so much.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:08 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Have you read the Harlan Ellison script of I Robot? OK but a tad trite.
No. I LOVE Ellison's essays and criticism. I've never seen the appeal of his fiction.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:11 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
I don't see why Card can't bring his faith into his novels. Most other writers do the same, in terms of religion or politics. Think of C. S. Lewis's books, and Kim Stanley Robinson's books! And all of Sheri Tepper's books, especially the later ones. It doesn't mean they can't be good books, it just means that the reader should expect to be courted by a viewpoint. If it turns the reader off, then all one has to do is close the book, give it away, and read something else.
Very much agreed. No author -- be he a Mormon like Card or a die-hard materialist like Clark or a wacko like Heinlein -- should be expected to leave their worldview out of their fiction so as not to offend anyone. If you don't like it, don't read it.

But I feel very sorry for anyone who only reads books they agree with. That's a very small world to live in.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
One of the best Sci-Fi novels ever written, IMO. But it only takes place on Earth in a roundabout way. Still, I'd highly recommend it.

Another excellent classic is Timescape by Gregory Benford. Definitely on Earth! Aliens, not so much.

Thanks for the info,and the suggestion of Timescape,which 'does' sound very interesting.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:45 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,440,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
I suggest starting with the first series of books, and then move on to Dies the Fire!
Nantucket series
Island in the Sea of Time
Against the Tide of Years
On the Oceans of Eternity
then the
Emberverse series
Dies the Fire
The Protector's War
A Meeting at Corvallis

And there are more after that

Old 05-04-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
I suggest starting with the first series of books, and then move on to Dies the Fire!
Nantucket series
Island in the Sea of Time
Against the Tide of Years
On the Oceans of Eternity
then the
Emberverse series
Dies the Fire
The Protector's War
A Meeting at Corvallis

And there are more after that
Wow, that's a lot of books before getting to the one I want,lol,lol,lol!

Old 05-04-2015, 01:07 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,440,674 times
The first - Island in the Sea of Time - sets up how everything got the way it got. :-)

But Nantucket series goes back in time, Emberverse series stays in the present and into the future. Can see why you'd prefer Emberverse, will admit I enjoyed Emberverse better!

I really liked Juniper Mackenzie in Dies the Fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books