Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2021, 06:37 PM

35,061 posts, read 16,995,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I finished up reading a bio of Moshe Dayan that was one of the most exciting book I've ever read. He almost died a number of times, including the time he was digging for archeological relics in a cave, where the cave fell in, buried him up to his neck, then a second cave-in covered his head, standing up. Luckily, some other diggers rescued him altho' he spend a couple months in the hospital.
Author? I have on my shelf, not yet read, Moshe Dayan; Story of my Life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2021, 06:50 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
Finished these two and they were great reads.
I've enjoyed all the Erik Larsons that I've read. I read all of them since Isaac's Storm, except for Thunderstruck, which I've had on my TBR shelf for years, but it just hasn't made it to the top of my pile.

Old 03-15-2021, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I've enjoyed all the Erik Larsons that I've read. I read all of them since Isaac's Storm, except for Thunderstruck, which I've had on my TBR shelf for years, but it just hasn't made it to the top of my pile.
I read Erik Larson's The Splendid and the Vile. I highly recommend it.

Old 03-15-2021, 07:13 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I read Erik Larson's The Splendid and the Vile. I highly recommend it.
Yes, that's his most recent one -- came out almost exactly a year ago. It was great and his prior one, In the Garden of Beasts is similar to it, so if you liked Splendid and Vile, I think you'd almost certainly like Garden of Beasts, too. Very similar style and similar subject matter.

Old 03-15-2021, 07:56 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,777,621 times
Erik Larson is one of my favorite authors. I just finished The Splendid and the Vile - stellar, as his work always is. I've read In The Garden of Beasts and Devil In The White City (twice for both of them); they are on my all-time "best books" list. The rest of his works are on my TBR list but I intended to read some of the other books that are gathering dust on my shelves before I do. I may rethink that strategy after reading the above posts! Gotta finish And The Rains Came before I do that, though.

Old 03-15-2021, 08:28 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,925 times
I loved Erik Larsen's Splendid and the Vile as well, but have an odd question - did anyone read or own the hardback version? I bought it in hardback (Count me in as a Larsen lover) and it fell apart!!! Around page 89 it started breaking into chunks. So annoying!

Old 03-15-2021, 10:50 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,777,621 times
I borrowed a hardback version from a friend. I noticed that there was a binding problem, too. I had to be really careful not to open it too far as I was afraid it would fall apart. I don't remember where I was in the book when it started but it wanted to break into sections more than once. I prevailed and managed to send it back intact. Sorry you experienced it too, but I'm glad to know it wasn't unique to my handling of it.

Old 03-16-2021, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
I borrowed a hardback version from a friend. I noticed that there was a binding problem, too. I had to be really careful not to open it too far as I was afraid it would fall apart. I don't remember where I was in the book when it started but it wanted to break into sections more than once. I prevailed and managed to send it back intact. Sorry you experienced it too, but I'm glad to know it wasn't unique to my handling of it.
I borrowed the The Impossible Railway: The Building of the Canadian Pacific, by Pierre Berton from the library. The same thing happened. I don't think it had been taken out since shortly after its 1972 writing. Just before the pandemic I brought it back and they somehow glued the book together. When that happens, if your library has reopened I recommend offering a tip to the reference librarian if it is your book. Libraries are set up for that.

Old 03-16-2021, 09:50 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,259,269 times
It is very cool to see this tread that I started way back in 2015 is still active. I've gotten a number of books over the years from writeups that board members did on here.

Old 03-16-2021, 06:58 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,034,905 times
I'm currently reading a bio of Augusta Pinochet. I've been to Chile a couple times and I was curious about that chapter of history, and, so far, it's quite shocking to read. I did know the CIA was instrumental in getting Allende out of office, but I didn't realize there's so much brutality after he committed suicide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books