Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 05:47 PM

2 posts, read 5,067 times

Advertisements

Need information about what would be convenient for Wellesley (if I work there at the school) or convenient for BU (if I get a job there). My friend says Newton or Somerville--my children will visit me from time to time so I have to get a 2 bdrm which means I'll be paying out more $. I don't want to live anywhere boring, but I also don't want to worry about my car getting broken into or people making noise all the time. I'd like coffee shops, maybe a library, neat restaurants, T station nearby, place to walk/run.

I am hoping to find something around $1600 that would include utilities. If I found that in Wellesley (I know--it's rare), would that be an acceptable environment?

Thanks to any and all who might be able to offer their insight about this.

And geez, writing down the age makes me feel like I am an old hag...pretend I am in my early forties, if it helps--I am very active, not at all looking to slow down and live alone with a cat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 05:58 PM

639 posts, read 3,527,184 times
I'm thinking Newton would be good for getting to BU, I don't know about getting to Wellesley though from there, I'm sure people will chime in and clue us in though to that particular question!

Newton was recently named (again) one of the best places to live in. I know a few people living there and they won't leave it, they feel very safe there, so that's a good sign right there, believe me, these people are very fussy too and were in your shoes several years ago and they won't leave that Newton, Massachusetts, even if you paid them a million dollars, that's how much they love it there, so that should tell you something (good) about it! You could check this article out as well from money magazine:

Best places for the rich and single - Newton, MA (2) - Money Magazine

Good luck wherever you decide to move to, it's a major decision, one that is daunting at times, but you'll figure it out. OH and you are NOT a hag just yet, I'm older than you and still think I'm a kid and I stayed single all thru the years, you're still a kid at 50 to me!

Old 07-18-2010, 06:49 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,650,939 times
This is tough because I don't think you would find anything in Newton, Wellesley or Brookline in that price range that includes all utilities, at least not a 2 bedroom. Somerville is not convenient to Wellesley at all, you would have to take the subway to South Station and catch an outbound commuter train, as the westbound subway line ends in Newton. So we'd really have to know which college before we could give you suggestions.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:02 AM

613 posts, read 2,306,859 times
Newton or Brookline are good locations for you. You can probably find a 2 bed in Newton which includes heat and hot water for $1600, but it may not be too be close to the T (there's a premium on that).

Take a look at Watertown too. It borders Newton and has a bustling little downtown area (Watertown Sq.) and is home to one of the T bus depots.

About living in Wellesley itself - I don't know enough about life there to answer this question well, but from what I do know, it tends to be a lot of families, older couples and the students.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:42 AM

415 posts, read 1,665,721 times
Newton would be a nice fit for you. Last I checked, you could get a decent 2 bedroom for $1600/month.

Don't fret about your age either, you are only as old as you feel. I dated a woman 15 yrs my senior, had the body of 22 yr old adult film star (w/ some help from plastic surgery) and an incredible amount of energy. She made me feel like an old man!

Old 07-19-2010, 02:55 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
This is tough because I don't think you would find anything in Newton, Wellesley or Brookline in that price range that includes all utilities, at least not a 2 bedroom. Somerville is not convenient to Wellesley at all, you would have to take the subway to South Station and catch an outbound commuter train, as the westbound subway line ends in Newton. So we'd really have to know which college before we could give you suggestions.
Agree 100% that Somerville is not convenient to Wellesley. Newton is convenient both to Wellesley and BU. You could find a 2-BR for $1600 in Newton but it will be tougher to find one in that range with all utilities included.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:23 AM

40 posts, read 106,199 times
If you are single and want to have a social life, I would pay more to live in Brookline or Cambridge. Newton and Wellesley are family communities. You can find a plethora of other singles closer to the city, people who like to go out and have fun.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:09 AM

2 posts, read 5,067 times
Thank you to all of you for your replies. You seem to be echoing my good friend who lives in the area--that Newton is THE place, although yesterday she told me West Rox because I don't need good schools. I'd prefer to be more centrally located, with regard to NSEW, though, so I think I'll stick with Newton/Watertown.

Regarding being single and wanting a social life, my idea of fun is going to bookstores, going to the arboretum, going to lectures...not partying or going out to bars.

THANK YOU!

Old 07-20-2010, 01:02 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reaching4stars View Post
Newton and Wellesley are family communities.
I'd say this is much more true of Wellesley than Newton.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:27 PM

40 posts, read 106,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEone1 View Post
Thank you to all of you for your replies. You seem to be echoing my good friend who lives in the area--that Newton is THE place, although yesterday she told me West Rox because I don't need good schools. I'd prefer to be more centrally located, with regard to NSEW, though, so I think I'll stick with Newton/Watertown.

Regarding being single and wanting a social life, my idea of fun is going to bookstores, going to the arboretum, going to lectures...not partying or going out to bars.

THANK YOU!
I'm not sure what Newton is "the place" for or how you came under the impression that single people in Cambridge and Brookline go to bars all the time for fun, but I hope it works out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston