Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2011, 06:48 PM

17 posts, read 71,016 times

Advertisements

I am coming into the city to visit friends. I don't want to deal with finding a space to park in Boston or paying an exorbitant amount of money to park. I was going to park at the Riverside MBTA stop Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Is this an ok place park? I am coming from Connecticut
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 12:31 PM

420 posts, read 1,369,256 times
I'd park at woodland instead, just one exit further, its a covered garage, I've left my car there for 6 days before with no problems. I think its 6 or 7 bucks a night, so around 20 bucks for the 3 days

Old 01-27-2011, 02:46 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,304,632 times
Second Woodland. Note that it's one exit further on 95/128, not the Mass Pike. You get off at Exit 21A for Route 16 East toward Newton.

I'll give directions since it's easy to miss. Go past the corner of Beacon Street and Newton-Wellesley Hospital. A block or two after the hospital you'll cross on a very small bridge over the tracks and a right turn lane appears. Make the right and the parking garage is past a bunch of newer townhouses. You'll see the actual station on the right as you're driving to the garage.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:45 PM

1 posts, read 21,311 times
I am going to a concert @ TD Banknorth Garden on 03/01/2011 in Boston and do not want to drive into the city. Would it be easier for me to park at the Riverside Parking lot and take the metro into the city? I'm driving from Springfield, MA.

Last edited by Edwin S.; 02-19-2011 at 05:47 PM.. Reason: Correction

Old 02-20-2011, 10:04 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
Edwin S., Riverside would be a good option if you'd prefer not to drive around right in Boston. Just be sure to allow plenty of time. The transit line running in from Riverside (green line D branch) is kind of slow. You should allow for the possibility that the trip in to the Garden will take at least an hour. I'd recommend allowing even a bit more time than this, just to be sure you're not too pressed for time.

Also, so you're not taken by surprise, even though the green line runs directly to the Garden, you may find that your train stops a few stations before, at Government Center, and you'll have to exit the train and wait for another going the rest of the way to the Garden (the stop you want for the Garden is North Station). Not sure why they do that thing about emptying trains at Government Ctr., but just be aware if that happens that you haven't taken the wrong train or anything. You just need to exit, and wait for another train going the rest of the way to N. Station.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:44 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,304,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Also, so you're not taken by surprise, even though the green line runs directly to the Garden, you may find that your train stops a few stations before, at Government Center, and you'll have to exit the train and wait for another going the rest of the way to the Garden (the stop you want for the Garden is North Station). Not sure why they do that thing about emptying trains at Government Ctr., but just be aware if that happens that you haven't taken the wrong train or anything. You just need to exit, and wait for another train going the rest of the way to N. Station.
I think you will definitely have to change at Government Center. For whatever reason, the D branch of the Green Line (the one that starts at Riverside) ALWAYS terminates at Government Ctr. Only the C and E go on to North Station. Not a big deal, most of the people getting off there will be waiting for the connecting train.

Unfortunately this will add time to the trip (though sometimes not much as the second train comes right away). You'll also lose time going back, when you have to take whatver Green Line comes to North Station, then change at Gov't Ctr to the D-Riverside.

Another option, which involves more time in the car and less on the train, is to use Welllington Station. You'd take the Mass Pike to 93 North, get off at Exit 29, and bear right for 28 North. You go over a small bridge and turn right on 16 East (I think it's the 2nd light). Go up the hill and, at Kelly's Roast Beef, you'll see the sign that Wellington Station is the next right. Ample cheap parking and it's only 3 stops on the Orange Line from North Station. To go back take an outbound ("Oak Grove") train back to Wellington and reverse. 16 West to 28 South to 93 South to 90 West. It's not that hard but it is easier to get confused over there than at Riverside. Another thing is that rush hour on a Tuesday evening may not be worth dealing with, but it's an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston