Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2015, 11:29 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,810,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
First off if their being punks in their own neigh orhood then whybdo you care.
What do I care? Sometimes I go to there. What if I get hit buy some bozo while he is blindly wheelieing, he falls off and hits his head? I'm sure the full coverage insurance he has will take care of everything right? They would never go after my assets......

Quote:
This isn't thinking your above the law its not caring. People still do it so obviously no one in the area truly cares. If police really cared they could stop it because its not like there's a lot of people doing it or a lot of people passionate about itbat all. Also residents could stop it if they really wanted to. I think you guysbare emblematic of the liberal nanny state that pervades American society and massachusetts to abgreat extent.
Riding your bike is fine, as long as it is registered and you have the appropriate licensing and safety gear. Weaving an unregistered dirtbike or ATV (not allowed on road) in and out of opposing travel lanes and bike lanes while not having any visibility is idiotic and should be considered an arrestable offense. If it is so cultural then why don't people shut down BHA every Sunday and gather around and watch this? Probably because it is cultural for a few morons and everyone else doesn't give a f.

Quote:
police feel like its whatever...then its whatever.
Police start caring roughly this time every year as they come out.
Daily Dose of Great Police Work: Boston Police Begin Crackdown on Motorcycle/Recreational Vehicle Code Violations--Officers Arrest 3 and Confiscate Vehicles for Infractions

This isn't emblematic of any kind of nanny state mentality, it is a sign that people who do this feel they are above the law and that mentality pervades many of their life decisions (no helmet, illegal vehicles, reckless behavior). These are neighborhood issues, and enough stupid people in one neighborhood can ruin the perception for everyone.

Quote:
I know they happen but iit really doesn't matter what they do, anything lower class black people do in mass will be cast in a negative light.
People don't always agree with the law but that is no excuse to disregard it and do it for attention. Releasing videos that people buy? That screams for attention. You can pull a pseudo Howie Carr and call people who dislike this idiotic behavior whitey liberal suburbanites but I think you will find that most people won't tolerate this, or will until they see it in their neighborhood.

The kids racing on the Lowell Connector (hispanic/black/white/asian) got cracked down on big time, especially after someone was killed. Being on a public street requires you follow the rules for everyone's sake. That transcends skin color or societal class. Plenty of people drive by me in Bentleys or hooptie rusted Corollas and they all seem to get it.

Last edited by wolfgang239; 05-05-2015 at 11:38 AM..

Old 05-05-2015, 12:18 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,184,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
If that's where you live, that's where you ride. Not everyone lives in suburbia.
Those atv and dirt bikes are for off road travel only, not on the public roads nor in public parks where families are playing with their toddlers and kids.
Quote:
Always about skin color with you. Sickening. It's amazing home much racism is tolerated on this forum.

If these people were white teens and riding around Easton, or Lincoln, or wherever, no one would care.
Well, so far, from what I've seen in Boston and in the Baltimore videos, it's a black male phenomenon. I am against the practice, no matter what the colour or sex is on the riders. It's stupid and dangerous, and not to be admired. So what if they can do wheelies or lose the police giving chase, and it's that mentality which will end up with them amounting to nothing in their lives.

This is not much different to glorifying the gangsta rap artists who complain against the po-po and "the (white) man". Andthe inner city mentality of disrespecting and fighting against authority figures is one of the reasons that their children do so poorly in the classroom. A teacher is trying to make them attend to their schoolwork is to them just another way of "the man" keeping them down. Well, they are keeping themselves "down" and impoverished just fine.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:30 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Dirt bikes are driven on roads in loads of situations. Not everyone has large legal off road access places to go. For most people that grew up in the city, the sidewalks, parks, etc was their playground.

And you really should try to get out more and not depend on the conservative mainstream corporate media. This is NOT a black male phenomena. At all.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:40 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,145,167 times
Quote:
Dirt bikes are driven on roads in loads of situations. Not everyone has large legal off road access places to go. For most people that grew up in the city, the sidewalks, parks, etc was their playground.

And you really should try to get out more and not depend on the conservative mainstream corporate media. This is NOT a black male phenomena. At all.
Can confirm. I'm a white kid who grew up in a semi-affluent suburb surrounded by +800K colonials ... we commonly road our dirt bikes on the street without a license, insurance, reg., etc.

We never had an issues because the local police response was generally "boys will be boys", i.e., those are just semi-affluent white kids having fun. Regardless, in I see plenty of hoons riding dirt bikes and atvs illegally throughout central MA and lower NH. It is a male "problem", and not an issue of race.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Can confirm. I'm a white kid who grew up in a semi-affluent suburb surrounded by +800K colonials ... we commonly road our dirt bikes on the street without a license, insurance, reg., etc.

We never had an issues because the local police response was generally "boys will be boys", i.e., those are just semi-affluent white kids having fun. Regardless, in I see plenty of hoons riding dirt bikes and atvs illegally throughout central MA and lower NH. It is a male "problem", and not an issue of race.

I'm sure its all over. It's a big problem in parts of the Cape and SE Mass on DCR and Fish and Game (and private conservation) lands.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:37 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,810,367 times
When you do this in a rural area like Central, MA or basically anywhere with trails and lower population this kind of activity is a totally different ballgame. I will say I don't agree with it but there is a much more calculated risk involved when you ride a 1/4mi along a rural road to a trailhead vs all around the city.

If you are caught on the road without a helmet, doing wheelies or disobeying marked lanes/traffic signals you will get pulled over in the country. Period, end of story. People who do that ruin it for those of us who do things right, laws get passed because someone sees idiots and automatically assumes everyone acts the same way so we all suffer.

The people doing this in the city have zero consideration for the safety of others, themselves or their passengers. You aren't allowed to have a passenger on ATV in MA. In what world does popping a wheelie on a busy street, with no helmet, disobeying marked lanes/signals and traveling the wrong direction with a passenger facing you seem like a good idea?

If you read the article I attached you'll see that the people mentioned had stolen property and were adults, not kids. As an adult you are supposed to understand that putting yourself or other people's safety in danger is not allowed. The police reported multiple serious injuries as a result of these guys acting unsafely in a densely populated area.

If you don't want to hear airplane noise or the train rumble by you move to the woods. If you want to drive ATV's and dirtbikes you move to the woods, or buy a trailer to haul your toys around.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:39 PM

12,873 posts, read 22,046,243 times
Quote:
I'm sure its all over. It's a big problem in parts of the Cape and SE Mass on DCR and Fish and Game (and private conservation) lands.
Multiple perspectives here:

1) I'm a white male who used to "terrorize" my suburban SE Mass neighborhood on my go-cart (not registered nor street legal). My friends all rode dirt bikes, three wheelers, quads, etc. on the street illegally, sometimes to the chagrin of the neighbors, cars, and pedestrians. A kid in my class in high school was killed on an ATV illegally crossing route 140.

2) I used to work for DCR as a park supervisor and can confirm the latter part of your post. I'll add that it's just as illegal (if not more so due to the conservation and protected lands aspect of things) to ride on those lands as it is to ride down a side street in Dorchester. Moreover, the VAST majority of the violators are youths and young adults who just so happen to be white. I've participated in the "bust" of kids on a custom golf cart tearing around a crowded parking lot at a DCR facility. I've responded to serious injuries involving hikers and bikers being hit by illegal dirt bikers and ATVs. In fact, three and four wheelers are illegal to ride in just about every place in Eastern MA. If you know anyone who has one, unless it sits in a garage except when they head out of state or they have a massive yard, they probably ride it illegally. One situation I responded to was a teen (white- as if it even matters) who had ridden his three wheeler 20 miles from his home in central Taunton to our park.

So to act as if it's a "Black" problem is ludicrous. In fact, in my experience working for DCR and dealing directly with this, the vast, vast majority of offenders were white (some, ironically enough, worked for law enforcement). I don't see black teens riding ATVs illegally in Boston as being any worse than white kids riding illegally in their neighborhoods anywhere else.

miu, I've bit my tongue quite a bit and tried to give the benefit of the doubt; but it's impossible not to read your posts as racist. It really seems you have a vendetta against black people. I hope I'm wrong, but it comes up so frequently with you.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
So to act as if it's a "Black" problem is ludicrous. In fact, in my experience working for DCR and dealing directly with this, the vast, vast majority of offenders were white (some, ironically enough, worked for law enforcement). I don't see black teens riding ATVs illegally in Boston as being any worse than white kids riding illegally in their neighborhoods anywhere else.

miu, I've bit my tongue quite a bit and tried to give the benefit of the doubt; but it's impossible not to read your posts as racist. It really seems you have a vendetta against black people. I hope I'm wrong, but it comes up so frequently with you.

Agreed. But the corporate conservative media doesn't show this. It shows what it wants to fit its narrative and the corporate media thrives on creating divisions between us. It wants us to keep fighting each other, its good for business and profit.

Re the latter, it is a sad theme with her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
If you don't want to hear airplane noise or the train rumble by you move to the woods. If you want to drive ATV's and dirtbikes you move to the woods, or buy a trailer to haul your toys around.

Not everyone has that ability nor has the money to make such a flip decision. Lets punish the poor for being poor even more!

Old 05-05-2015, 01:50 PM

12,873 posts, read 22,046,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
When you do this in a rural area like Central, MA or basically anywhere with trails and lower population this kind of activity is a totally different ballgame. I will say I don't agree with it but there is a much more calculated risk involved when you ride a 1/4mi along a rural road to a trailhead vs all around the city.
In theory, maybe; but this isn't really true at all in reality. The "woods" in Eastern and Central MA are still pretty crowded relatively speaking. This isn't Central Alaska or Northern Maine here. Especially the public lands (like state forests) where many (most) of this activity occurs. Moreover, people on cul de sacs, quite country streets and especially those using trails in the woods aren't nearly as alert for people and vehicles around them as an urban pedestrian. My park was a major equestrian, hiking and bicycling facility. It was over 20 square miles. However, it was just too busy to accommodate those activities and we dealt with spooked horses tossing riders, collisions between bicyclists and hikers and terrified parents pulling their little ones out of the way of dirt bikes and ATVs on a regular basis. Many of these involved injuries that had to be treated at hospitals and some required overnight stays. I have yet to hear of anyone being injured by ATVs in Boston. The operators of these dirt bikes and ATVs in the parks and forests seem to think they're the only people out there so they operate at higher speeds as if there's nobody else around them. By virtue of the environment, these "punks" in Boston have to operate differently as they're in an urban area. Both are very illegal, but I would argue that the illegal operators in the city are safer. They at least have to operate by keeping the people around them in mind.

Quote:
If you are caught on the road without a helmet, doing wheelies or disobeying marked lanes/traffic signals you will get pulled over in the country. Period, end of story. People who do that ruin it for those of us who do things right, laws get passed because someone sees idiots and automatically assumes everyone acts the same way so we all suffer.
No, not "end of story." Most of the illegal operators outside of the city don't get caught because they quickly exit the roads in favor of the trails and power lines off of the road. Law enforcement can't safely keep up. A good friend and environmental police officer was injured a while back chasing a dirt biker who caused an accident through a power line. We mostly only caught people when they crashed. Otherwise, we'd get reports, see tracks and the operators would be long gone. They know they won't get caught either. It's much easier to make a getaway in the country.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:56 PM

5,792 posts, read 5,112,271 times
"In what world does popping a wheelie on a busy street, with no helmet, disobeying marked lanes/signals and traveling the wrong direction with a passenger facing you seem like a good idea?"...

Well, in gangsta world, of course. These people will come to no good end.

"Not everyone has that ability nor has the money to make such a flip decision. Lets punish the poor for being poor even more!"

So, they are poor folks, but they have enough money to buy an ATV for fun in the city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston