Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 03:09 PM

47 posts, read 95,428 times

Advertisements

Hi, My 22 year old daughter is thinking of possibly moving to Boston working with Boston Teacher Residency. She loves hiking, the mountains,canoeing, just being outdoors!! She is in Kansas City working now, and is very frustrated with the lack of outdoor adventure opportunities. Will she find outdoor opportunities around Boston? If so, how far? Her other choice is Denver, but Boston Teacher Residency is suppose to be a better program. THANKS VERY, VERY MUCH!!! Karen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 03:22 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,172,843 times
There are plenty of opportunities for canoeing and kayaking IN and around the city of Boston (Charles River, Boston Harbor, numerous rivers and ponds, etc.). There are several options for low-elevation hiking right on the outskirts of the city as well (Middlesex Fells, Blue Hills, etc.)

For real high-elevation hiking, a 2-hour drive from Boston will take her to the White Mountains, the Berkshires, or the Green Mountains. There are hundreds of natural lakes and rivers in the region for water activities.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:43 PM

Thanks sounds GREAT, I will E mail her and look into those places further. I just always pictured Boston as a big city, with no outdoor adventures around. And 2 hours is not that far away, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!! It certainly beats the midwest, where she is from, Chicago suburbs, though she went to college in Minnesota, which has the boundary waters. THANKS AGAIN FOR YOU TIME AND HELP!!!!! Karen

Old 08-19-2012, 09:58 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,825,921 times
Search Meetup groups to get an idea. I've seen diehard type activity and laidback casual stuff.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:31 AM

389 posts, read 664,327 times
Also, check out the Appalachian Mountain Club-- they have chapters that do trips practically every weekend

Old 09-02-2012, 11:30 AM

Thank you both very much!! I have been on vacation, just returned. She is debating beween Denver and Boston. She has friends in Boston, but none in Denver. The appalachian Mountain club sounds great!!! Thank you both for your time and help, and will pass on to my daughter. Again, sorry for the slow reply with being gone
THANKS

Old 09-06-2012, 08:16 AM

2,152 posts, read 3,398,152 times
Boston isnt going to have the outdoor scene that colorado does, but colorado is very conservative and denver isnt the most exciting city. I think she would have more fun in boston

Old 09-06-2012, 08:53 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,838,334 times
Boston's outdoor recreational opportunities would seem pretty good to someone coming from Kansas. People who grow up out west are used to the big skies and dramatic landscapes of western mountains. They often find the eastern scenery tame. If you grow up here, though, you appreciate the fine grain of the landscapes here, the lush foliage, and the pleasant mix of nature and beautiful old manmade things (lighthouses, of course, but old farmhouses and barns, country villages, stone walls, etc.) If you come from someplace like Kansas, I guess you're more open to something different--she'd probably love Colorado and she'd probably love New England too. As others have said, there are plenty of places to explore even right in Boston and loads more within 1 to 3 hours of the city.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:06 PM

Dear howdydoody and missionhill,
I have to apologize for just getting back with you both. I have had issues at home that have taken my time, SO SORRY!!! Thank you both for taking the time!!!!!
The various comments are very helpful, while somewhat confusing. Both Boston and Denver sound much better than Kansas City!! Interesting the comments about Denver. She is definitely an outdoors person, and that is a top priority. But she is also very concerned about making friends. She has had difficulty in KCMO. So, she is wondering where it is easier to meet young professionals, and where she would want to eventually raise a family. Because she wants to stay where she lands, and not have to start over again, hopefully.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:58 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,973,623 times
Blue Hill Hikers meetup is also very active. She won't get the big mountains Denver has, but there are plenty of hiking opportunities close to Boston. Overall, it's a very "outdoorsy" city. If I had to choose between Denver, itself and Boston, I'd say Boston hands down. If we are talking about some areas outside of Denver, like say Boulder, I'd have a seriously hard time picking between the two. It's a no lose kind of situation.

A few other things to consider, cost of living and weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: