Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 11:55 AM

414 posts, read 808,798 times

Advertisements

I am sure the same can be said for many, many places as well. I was in Boston for 1 day last week during a very short trip to the area. I have been there 4 times for visits since 94, with my last one being in 2004. Since 04, I must say, I saw way more homeless, more closed up shops, and smelled more urine every where I went that I can even imagine! The downtown crossing area really looked like a war zone with all the homeless and derelict looking people hanging around there. It really was sad to see, and probably wont be a destination I will be going back to anytime soon. I have always loved going there, this time the city let me down. I am sure it has a lot to do with it as well, but during my day there, I only saw 1 cop, and that was some young guy that was hanging out with the guard at the garage I had parked at. That was at 9'olock at night. I hope it turns around soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 12:07 PM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Well, if you visited ANY place in 2004 and came back now, you're likely to see more homelessness and vacant storefronts due to the economy. Boston's no different.

I agree about DTX. It literally looks like a war zone because of the gaping hole in the middle of it surrounded by the facade of an early 20th century building. It could be a photograph from Berlin after a WWII bombing.

All of that being said, Boston has weathered the economy better than most cities (downtown San Francisco makes Boston look/smell so clean you could eat off of the street by comparison). It's actually currently undergoing a building boom and the Downtown Crossing area is in the midst of getting a huge overhaul with new construction and new retail locating there. It may be hard to believe, but it was worse even 3 years ago. The old Filenes building (the big hole) was a project that died in the 2008 recession and is finally moving forward again (the building there is set to be the tallest in downtown and 3rd tallest overall in the city). Downtown Crossing is in a rough patch for sure, but I'm not even a little worried about it. It's too great a location to stay that way forever and there's a lot going on that's going to quickly fix it up.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:15 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,173,884 times
You're judging the state of the entire city based on a brief 1 day visit in which you happened to see more homeless people than usual? I think you're jumping to conclusions a little too quickly.

I'm surprised that you noticed more closed businesses, since the general trend has been towards revitalization. There are quite a few neighborhoods of the city that are much nicer and safer than they were 8 years ago; there are very few, if any, that can truly be said to have gone "downhill." The only thing going downhill is the city's affordability.

Downtown Crossing is a very different place depending on what time of day you're visiting. At most times during the day, it's bustling with activity and full of people from all walks of life.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:42 PM

866 posts, read 2,628,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
The only thing going downhill is the city's affordability.
Amen. Boston's population is rising and will continue to rise, and that will lead to increased demand for housing, etc.

I encourage the OP to come back to Boston and get into some of the neighborhoods, and then report back.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:15 PM

2,726 posts, read 6,113,588 times
Between hanging out at the penny arcade on Washington St as a teenager, to presently working an IT gig in a downtown office, I've probably spent the last 25 yrs of my life in DTX. I know DTX like I know my own livingroom, and I find it odd u mention this about DTX, comparing it to 2004. Even with the Filene's hole (agreed it's unsightly) I think the area has improved greatly in the past 8 years. Not to mention the turnaround it's made from the late 80's. There are new theaters, new residences, new bars and restauraunts. Emerson and Suffulk U have invested countless $ building dorms and performance space. The area is even quite busy on the weekends, something you didn't see 8 years ago. I see quite a few people out late night as well.

Just find it very odd this was your observation.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:27 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,839,810 times
Now, if you said you hadn't been there since 1962 or even 1972 and found it lacking, I could see what you mean-- you'd miss the crowds of shoppers, the dozen department stores, the camera stores, the movie theaters lining Washington street. But as compared to '04? Anyway, I think Cliff is right on the upward trend.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:29 PM

414 posts, read 808,798 times
I was at DTX as you folks call it I guess, on a Friday, midday. I did not spend a great deal of time there, nor did I last time, but in my view the area certainly was not as nice as last time. It's certainly not a spot I would be around at night after seeing it in the daytime. I know a lot of places have been hit hard, my own hometown has as well, and it is a shame. I am sure I will be back again to visit one day, I really hope it does turn around since it is a very nice city to visit. I am not sure how the police force has been affected, but to really not see any during the day there was quite startling. I am in NYC often enough, and you see one on almost every corner there. It definitely gives you a safer feeling seeing them everywhere.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:41 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,453,473 times
DTX isn't NY (which needs cops midday and often has them) or Philly (which needs cops midday and doesn't have them). Boston and SF are about the safest large cities in the country. I'm not sure why you feel so threatened.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:08 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,476,550 times
I'm just wondering which Boston you are talking about? This was Boston MA yesterday. Not sure what's gone downhill. Found it just as delightful as always.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:23 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
I recently moved back to MA after being away since 1997 and I think Boston is phenomenal! Sure, Downtown Crossing is under construction right now and it looks as it should, but Back Bay, the North End, the Fenway area, etc., are all vibrant and thriving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston