Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 04:28 PM

40 posts, read 75,932 times

Advertisements

Anyone living in or near Chinatown. Pros or cons in this neighborhood. A new whole foods and a Roche brothers just recently opened.. Where do you eat out, have coffee, brunch? Do you frequent the chinese establishments often. Anything considered trendy? How are the prices of apt? The new condos I assume are priced quiet high. What about other apt and how they compare to other side of the river or other parts of Bostob. Are you a young professional or couple, or even a small family with a young baby or child. Appreciate your input.

Justin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 04:40 PM

974 posts, read 1,899,603 times
In Chinatown specifically or DTX?

Friends downsized into a condo in DTX-four streets up from Chinatown. For them -- they love it as they travel 60-80% of time for work and it's an easy trip to Logan. Much smaller than where they lived before (2200 sqft - 650). Zero maintenance.

Most of the people in their building are foreign students who sell and net a tidy profit at commencement. Think the area closer to the Common is more transient.

Boston Common, Frog Pond and playground short walk away. Not really family friendly, but someone could make it work. Condos closer to Bay Village are more family friendly.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:18 PM

11,063 posts, read 12,456,973 times
Well, it'll cost you a ton of money to live in a kinda dirty, sometimes sketchy area. If you wanna drop big dough, go to north end, or southie or somewhere better.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:43 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,699,186 times
I don't think it's the best value and there is no way in hell I'd live in Chinatown with a baby.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:56 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,242,024 times
Think about Boston in terms of student/tourist city. It very small city that caters to army of students, young upwardly mobile professionals without the kids, or people visiting form afar. It is not particularly family friendly area.

There are probably few people with kids, it is possible, but overall downtown Boston can be weird. Depending on what you are willing to spend, there are better places for sure.

Good luck.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:54 AM

Please explain? Dirty? Unsafe? Noisy? I've manage my 1 yr old in NYC so maybe Boston Chinatown can't be too bad with access to the T or if I had a car.

Thanks

Old 08-19-2015, 12:07 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetle25 View Post
Please explain? Dirty? Unsafe? Noisy? I've manage my 1 yr old in NYC so maybe Boston Chinatown can't be too bad with access to the T or if I had a car.

Thanks

Yes

(though not really that unsafe)

Old 08-19-2015, 12:25 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,699,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetle25 View Post

Thanks
Lots of unsavory characters loiter in the area (drug dealers, homeless people etc). Noisy and dirty as well.

Old 08-19-2015, 03:27 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,242,024 times
Boston is definitely not NYC. Very different places. Certain things, and experiences would not be equivalent.

It would be best for you to visit (NYC is not that far), linger and observe around areas you are interested, and, then you can decide for yourself.

Maybe your level of tolerance for sketchy is higher. Maybe you are imagining Boston as a smaller NYC, and you shouldn't. Different places, cultures, vibes.....Moving family with kids is a big deal. There is no substitute for your own leg work, and gut feel.

Good luck!

Old 08-20-2015, 06:53 AM

I didn't mention I grew up right outside Boston originally and frequented Chinatown a lot till I left at 20 years of age. I'm seeing so many new condos and I know of a few people with young kids but not many as well as some retirees living in DTX. I don't see why a family can't technically live in downtown Boston despite it being kinda grimy or unsavory in some parts. I do see kids it's of Chinese families. I keep reading how more and more people are moving to cities I don't see why a family can't but neighborhoods take a while to change. I'm assuming Southie and South End are more family/residential compared to Chinatown even though its a hop and a skip away. I'm so used to walking in NY and Brooklyn that these neighborhoods seem to interconnect quicker and over shorter distances. Maybe Cambridge is the most family friendly and metropolitan, and I agree North End and further North like Charlestown even. I was hoping to hear from direct experience of current CHinatown residents or neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston