Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 09:45 AM

35 posts, read 304,679 times

Advertisements

So what is the difference between the Mile High City and Bean town? Denver has 360 days of warm cloudless days, the snow melts within 24 hours of a snow storm, great skiing, camping and hunting are less than an hour away and Denver has Rocky Mountain Oysters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 10:40 AM

639 posts, read 3,528,060 times
Smile Denver or Boston? I'll take Boston right now!

I definitely like the sounds of your weather in Colorado. Having the snow melt so quick on the Front Range sounds like a plan to me. Ours stays here and gets extremely dirty and black on the side of various roads. Right now ours looks very pretty and it will even more after it snows later on this afternoon. It sounds like our town centers around New England are quainter and prettier than yours! Some of our quinntesential rural towns have the beautiful old white churches with steeples and bells ringing randomly throughout the year. A lot of our towns here have a "common" or little grassy park in the center, with benches, war memorials, fountains etc...then there's the town hall, police station and fire station. You can usually tell you're in or near the center of a town in New England when you see these various buildings and designated sightings that are here. As far as the City of Boston compared to Denver? It's a lot more historical. That's probably the #1 difference. We have the Freedom Trail, all kinds of 16th, 17th & 18th century cemetaries. Paul Revere's home is in the North End, besides their wonderfully delicious cuisine that's located throughout the North End's many famous restaurants! The Bunker Hill Monument is in Charlestown, Faneuil Hall is at Haymarket Square in downtown Boston, the first City Hall is located on School Street and seeing our very first State House is quite interesting as well, there's a huge amount of history in and around the City of Boston. There's Lexington & Concord's historical museums & even down in Quincy, MA. there's a lot of history, they have homes of a couple of famous Presidents.

We also can drive a few hours away and be in the White Mountains of New Hampshire within 2 1/2 hours to ski, snowboard, hike etc..or we can stay right in Massachusetts and head to Nashoba Valley or the Berkshires in the western part of the state instead OR head up to Vermont or Maine. So that way, we're covered as well. BUT your mountains are the big boys and your snow is like powder from what I'm hearing! I would say your scenery is probably more stunning than ours! Although, we have more various colors in the Fall. I see that you have a lot of yellows in your trees out there!

So is there a difference? I would say so. May be you could come on up to Boston some day and spend some time throughout our various states and especially spend time in the city of Boston, then you can decide for yourself!

Last edited by CityGirl52; 02-09-2008 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: typo..

Old 02-09-2008, 11:04 AM

35 posts, read 304,679 times
We also have a massive sink hole that swallowed up one lane of I 25 on Friday. It was 16 feet deep and was caused by a leak in a water main that lost over 150,000 gallons of water. Glad I was no where near that mess. It took all day for the road crews to patch the hole. Normally 300,000 cars drive that stretch.
One other thing Denver does not have, the smell of mold or mildew in old buildings.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:38 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,598,386 times
Boston all the way. Better transit, better architecture, closer to stuff. Mountains are close to it. And... I love the snow sticking around a bit. Makes the year more diverse.

Old 02-09-2008, 01:12 PM

1,038 posts, read 3,997,347 times
And don't forget proximity to the coast. From Maine to CT you're within driving distance of some of the most beautiful beaches and scenic coastline.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:52 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times
Well, you can't really compare the Colorado Rockies to the mountains we have in New England. Boston and Denver are really two different cities and in two completely different areas of the country.

Not to give a history lesson, but the Bunker Hill monument was mentioned even though the actual battle was not fought at Bunker Hill like many think. It was actually fought on Breed's Hill, but Bunker Hill sounded better and was the bigger hill so it got that name. This was a little off topic, but just an interesting history tidbit.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:35 PM

1,038 posts, read 3,997,347 times
That little piece of trivia (Breed's Hill) got one of my kid's big brownie points in school! Every once in a while Mom's history "obsession" comes in handy for the wee ones!

Old 02-10-2008, 07:57 AM

639 posts, read 3,528,060 times
When my friends and I were young kids in Charlestown we were curious about that Breed's Hill, so one day, being adventurous we walked all through the town to look for it. I can remember that long walk, like it was yesterday! But unfortunately back then, there was only one single plaque up at the entrance to the Bunker Hill Monument explaining where the battle actually took place and that was it. So it was pretty interesting reading about it all in history books & encyclopedia's in school years later!

Breed's Hill overlooked the harbor and the town and was only about 400 yards from the southern end of the peninsula; Bunker Hill was near the northwest end of the peninsula, about a mile from the Charles River. The town, including its wharves and dockyards, was destroyed by fire during that battle.

Charlestown has several places of historical interest. Many of which are marked by the northern end of Boston's "Freedom Trail." In fact, the freedom trail ends at the Bunker Hill Monument commemorating the famous Battle of Bunker Hill. Also, don't forget "the USS Constitution" or as we all know it in and around the world "Old Ironsides", is the oldest commissioned vessel in the US Navy, and it's docked in Charlestown's Navy Yard which is now called the "Constitution Marina."

Did you know that Charlestown was also the location where Paul Revere began his famous "midnight ride" before the Battles of Lexington and Concord?
A lot of us that grew up in the town remembered when they would reenact his ride in April every year along Warren & Main Streets, I don't know if they still do that, but back then they did the reenactment every year, it was pretty neat. There's a very good local restaurant that's still in operation to this day called "The Warren Tavern", it's the oldest tavern in Massachusetts, it was one of Paul Revere's favorite taverns to go to in his day. George Washington gave a famous funeral speech there besides always stopping there for refreshments and conversation.

Warren Tavern Charlestown MA, Oldest Tavern in Massachusetts

Here's a little more trivia about Charlestown...

There's quite a few notable residents that lived & were born in the town:

Charlestown was the birthplace of inventor Samuel F. B. Morse, and the burial location of John Harvard, for whom Harvard University was named. Other notable residents included:
* Charles R. Adams, (1834-1900), Charlestown native, noted opera singer.
* Charles B. Atwood, (1849-1895), born in Charlestown, noted architect who designed the Reliance Building, among others
* William Austin, (1778-1841), born in Charlestown, Massachusetts, state legislator and author
* Howie Long, NFL-decorated Hall of Fame lineman for the Oakland Raiders.
* Jack O'Callahan, member of 1980 "Miracle on Ice" hockey team that won the gold medal over the USSR.
* Robert Sedgwick, (c. 1611-1656), settled in 1635, successful merchant, first Major General of the Massachusetts Bay Colony and later appointed the first Governor General of Jamaica in 1655.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:00 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl52 View Post
When my friends and I were young kids in Charlestown we were curious about that Breed's Hill, so one day, being adventurous we walked all through the town to look for it. I can remember that long walk, like it was yesterday! But unfortunately back then, there was only one single plaque up at the entrance to the Bunker Hill Monument explaining where the battle actually took place and that was it. So it was pretty interesting reading about it all in history books & encyclopedia's in school years later!

Breed's Hill overlooked the harbor and the town and was only about 400 yards from the southern end of the peninsula; Bunker Hill was near the northwest end of the peninsula, about a mile from the Charles River. The town, including its wharves and dockyards, was destroyed by fire during that battle.

Charlestown has several places of historical interest. Many of which are marked by the northern end of Boston's "Freedom Trail." In fact, the freedom trail ends at the Bunker Hill Monument commemorating the famous Battle of Bunker Hill. Also, don't forget "the USS Constitution" or as we all know it in and around the world "Old Ironsides", is the oldest commissioned vessel in the US Navy, and it's docked in Charlestown's Navy Yard which is now called the "Constitution Marina."

Did you know that Charlestown was also the location where Paul Revere began his famous "midnight ride" before the Battles of Lexington and Concord?
A lot of us that grew up in the town remembered when they would reenact his ride in April every year along Warren & Main Streets, I don't know if they still do that, but back then they did the reenactment every year, it was pretty neat. There's a very good local restaurant that's still in operation to this day called "The Warren Tavern", it's the oldest tavern in Massachusetts, it was one of Paul Revere's favorite taverns to go to in his day. George Washington gave a famous funeral speech there besides always stopping there for refreshments and conversation.

Warren Tavern Charlestown MA, Oldest Tavern in Massachusetts

Here's a little more trivia about Charlestown...

There's quite a few notable residents that lived & were born in the town:

Charlestown was the birthplace of inventor Samuel F. B. Morse, and the burial location of John Harvard, for whom Harvard University was named. Other notable residents included:
* Charles R. Adams, (1834-1900), Charlestown native, noted opera singer.
* Charles B. Atwood, (1849-1895), born in Charlestown, noted architect who designed the Reliance Building, among others
* William Austin, (1778-1841), born in Charlestown, Massachusetts, state legislator and author
* Howie Long, NFL-decorated Hall of Fame lineman for the Oakland Raiders.
* Jack O'Callahan, member of 1980 "Miracle on Ice" hockey team that won the gold medal over the USSR.
* Robert Sedgwick, (c. 1611-1656), settled in 1635, successful merchant, first Major General of the Massachusetts Bay Colony and later appointed the first Governor General of Jamaica in 1655.
Good stuff. Also, Paul Revere wasn't the only person that made that ride. I believe there was 3 others who did similar rides that night. One person ended up riding all the way to Philadelphia to warn the Continental Congress. Paul Revere is usually given the most credit, but it really consisted of more people.

And most historians agree that Revere never said, "the British are coming", but instead think it was "the regulars are coming". There were British soldiers out on patrol and the first saying would have alerted the British.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:43 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsage View Post
So what is the difference between the Mile High City and Bean town? Denver has 360 days of warm cloudless days, the snow melts within 24 hours of a snow storm, great skiing, camping and hunting are less than an hour away and Denver has Rocky Mountain Oysters.
I just happened to notice this thread on the US Forums listing, and I don't really care to debate the two cities, but is this post above a total joke or what? I'm a Denver native (actually Aurora, CO, a suburb of Denver to be exact), lived there continuously 18 years of my life and much of the year for the last 4 years, and to say that "Denver has 360 days of warm cloudless days" is the biggest freaking lie I've ever heard. An absolute lie. In fact, I doubt that poster even lives in Denver. Go to Weatherbase. Average number of clear days is 115 (that's 115, not 360). Average number of partly cloudy days is 130. Average number of cloudy days is 120. Even if you generously add together "clear days" and "partly cloudy days," that adds up to 235 days of sunshine, not 360. And warm? average annual temperature is 51 degrees. You want warm-- Phoenix is 86 degrees average. Snow melting 24 hours after a storm? Maybe if it's a late spring snow that doesn't dump too much. I was back home for a month this last Dec-Jan and it snowed 4-5 times, and it never completely melted. Due to the stuff they spray on the roads to prevent icing and all the exhaust from the cars, the snow turns into an ugly slushy black gunk, and stays there for weeks this time of year. Great skiing-- okay, I'll give you that one, but it's not less than an hour. Maybe 1:15 minimum if you're driving to Loveland with no snow on the roads, no traffic backups. And "Rocky Mountain Oysters"? (hint, it's not an oyster). Is this guy joking or what? Are you trying to get people here to throw up? If you like eating that stuff, all the power to you. Ok, just setting the facts straight. See you guys later!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston