Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 06:25 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,694,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Sorry, I'd need to see legitimate data that this is happening. I have a child at BU and this has not been our experience so far. BU is selective (29% admissions rate last year) and I'm sure many "brilliant domestic students" didn't make the cut.
BU had 60,000 applications last year. 22% of the incoming freshman class were international students, with China providing most of BU's international students. Do you really believe that there weren't any well qualified domestic students passed up for international students paying full tuition?

The statistics you want will never leave the admissions office, for good reason. However the New York Times has written several articles about the explosion of international students in US colleges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 06:31 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,940,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
BU had 60,000 applications last year. 22% of the incoming freshman class were international students, with China providing most of BU's international students. Do you really believe that there weren't any well qualified domestic students passed up for international students paying full tuition?

The statistics you want will never leave the admissions office, for good reason. However the New York Times has written several articles about the explosion of international students in US colleges.
Why should the school pass up well qualified international students in favor of well qualified domestic students?

Old 12-13-2016, 06:33 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,694,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Why should the school pass up well qualified international students in favor of well qualified domestic students?
A lot of these international students are not well qualified but are admitted because they can pay full tuition.

Regardless, at the end of the day as a private institution these schools can admit whoever they want.

Old 12-13-2016, 06:39 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,200,396 times
Quote:

For what's it's worth, BU is needs blind during the admissions process. My son goes to a school that is need aware during the application process yet gets about 50% in aid and has full pay and no pay classmates.

All colleges and universities need to balance the population, aid offered, full pay students, international versus domestic, etc. They can't accept every full pay student simply because it's better for them financially as they have to maintain their metrics in population and outcome.

Back in my day:

- BU seemed to draw more kids from out of state and the local kids that went there could have gone to similar out of state schools but wanted to stay local
- BC was for preps who could afford full pay
- Northeastern was the blue collar alternative to those schools for commuters and night school, not the case anymore.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:41 AM

60 posts, read 46,728 times
They are locally both considered very comparable in terms of quality . There really aren't many people who make distinctions about what one is better. They have very different campuses and offer different degrees.

As other people here have mentioned, many schools like to take students that are not residents because they pay full tuition.

Last edited by Sotsgreen; 12-13-2016 at 07:51 AM..

Old 12-13-2016, 07:42 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,029,753 times
Northeastern!

But to answer the prompt, it's always seemed to me that BU is more popular than BC within the city whereas BC is more popular than BU in the suburbs.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:06 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,090,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
My point exactly. The other post was making the assumption that the international students were "less qualified" based on perceived communication gaps when called upon in class.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:49 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,940,305 times
Quote:
A lot of these international students are not well qualified but are admitted because they can pay full tuition.

Regardless, at the end of the day as a private institution these schools can admit whoever they want.
No idea why you believe that. I worked (at a grad level) at a school with a fairly significant international student component, and we didn't admit less qualified students just because they were from outside the country, and reviewing the applications was done in a need blind manner. The reviewers didn't even see the financial portions of the applications.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:01 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,320,505 times
I used to think BC was more prestigious and harder to get into but now I think they are about the same. BU seems to more innovative with trying new things with online courses to attract a larger audience-basically reaching learners they wouldnt have before which can be good and bad I guess. BC just screams rich white people to me. Good looking athletic ones at that.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:08 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,320,505 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
BC is where mediocre upper-middle class white people go to think theyre hot s**t. most Bostonians respect people from BU a lott more. BC has got they're head so far up their own *ss its not even funny.
If they are mediocre they aren't getting into BC. I know top students who didnt get in. It's actually baffling and makes me wonder about their admissions process. Then I do know a few hockey players who received scholarships there and probably had a GPA of 2.0. But they still werent considered mediocre as they had the athletics thing going for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston