Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 10:41 AM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I think we overrate Europe too though. I lived in Moscow. There was nothing pleasant about using the metro after the charm of it wore off in 2 weeks.

Public transit just usually is a grind for everyone, everywhere. You live with it. Driving is also the same thing in many places.
True. At least from a comfort standpoint. The Tube is incredibly crowded and surprisingly claustrophobic. You hear the same subway complaints in London that you do in Boston. Same for Madrid, Paris, Tokyo (not Europe, but same deal). I do think that those systems have better service records and reliability though which is an issue here. Delays are far more frequent in Boston. Most of the times I've had a delay in London or Tokyo, it's been due to scheduled maintenance rather than due to a breakdown (like Boston). There's major room for improvement. Subway travel isn't ideal anywhere, but Boston should be looking to Berlin or Madrid as comparable cities with much better transit networks. We could be a lot better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 04:17 AM

52 posts, read 27,583 times
Is traffic bad like any other big cities?

Old 04-26-2018, 06:29 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,116,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talcos View Post
It goes from suicidal to homicidal then back to suicidal and sometimes just baseline rage.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:58 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,791,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talcos View Post
The bad part is that it is unpredictable. There is often no rhyme or reason for it. Could be ok one day and backed up like crazy the next - same time of day, no accident or anything else in sight that can reasonably explain it.

I'm lucky - I walk to work, walk to my kid's school, walk for take out, etc. I'm close to the T so can take that other places. I have a car but don't like using it anymore, feels restrictive. Biggest thing for me is predictability - I know when I will get somewhere when I walk or take my bike, and when I take the T (I find it pretty reliable). The car, not so much.

It's not good but I don't think traffic is as bad here as it is in NYC, LA, Houston, and other large metros.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:12 AM

118 posts, read 141,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
It goes from suicidal to homicidal then back to suicidal and sometimes just baseline rage.
haha I moved here from CA and thought our traffic was bad. sheesh!

Old 05-04-2018, 12:17 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,668,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayyz View Post
good subway system?!?!?! I beg to differ.
You can say that again! I used to feel the system was "OK," about 10 years ago, but lately I feel as though I need to take a disinfecting shower every time I get off the train.

So just when are the new Orange Line cars coming? Supposedly, they're coming in 2019, but I'm not holding my breath. Strike that … I hold my breath every time I get on the Orange Line.

Everything about Boston's subway system (and Green Line trolley) feels improvised these days. Even when they make improvements, they do it in such a jury-rigged way it looks like it will decay in no time.

Old 05-19-2018, 01:18 PM

1,723 posts, read 1,145,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Haha. And that's an understatement!

Old 05-19-2018, 01:20 PM

1,723 posts, read 1,145,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
The bad part is that it is unpredictable. There is often no rhyme or reason for it. Could be ok one day and backed up like crazy the next - same time of day, no accident or anything else in sight that can reasonably explain it.

I'm lucky - I walk to work, walk to my kid's school, walk for take out, etc. I'm close to the T so can take that other places. I have a car but don't like using it anymore, feels restrictive. Biggest thing for me is predictability - I know when I will get somewhere when I walk or take my bike, and when I take the T (I find it pretty reliable). The car, not so much.

It's not good but I don't think traffic is as bad here as it is in NYC, LA, Houston, and other large metros.
So true. I've come to almost prefer back roads over the highway. 90 percent of the time the highway is much faster but that other 10 percent is so awful I'd prefer the consistency of the slower back roads. Driving isn't for the control freak I guess.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:29 AM

52 posts, read 27,583 times
It’s good to know that there are many subway lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston