Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2021, 02:38 PM

23,748 posts, read 18,863,787 times

Advertisements

4 detained after Mattapan street shot up.

https://universalhub.com/crime/20210...ets-shot-early

Window hit by gunfire in JP project.

https://universalhub.com/crime/20210...et-development
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2021, 03:59 PM

59 posts, read 274,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Where is the proof that George Floyd being killed was even an act of racism? People think anytime a black person is killed by someone white that it's racism.
You need to leave.

Old 05-10-2021, 04:32 PM

16,668 posts, read 8,384,368 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunit00 View Post
You need to leave.
I did.

Old 05-10-2021, 07:54 PM

59 posts, read 274,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I did.
No. I was referring to this forum discussion.

Old 05-10-2021, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunit00 View Post
No. I was referring to this forum discussion.
Dude that discussion is from a week ago.

Old 05-11-2021, 06:28 AM

It's a public forum. No one needs to leave

Old 05-11-2021, 08:53 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,153,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Good to see everyone in here is having fun. Lets see if we can drop a hat trick of hot takes on these issues:

(1) there is no evidence that race was a factor in George Floyd's death. There have been white people killed in almost identical fashion over the years

(2) the whole thing was arbitrarily chosen to become a global movement. Floyd's death was pretty bad, but just a drop in the bucket of messed up stuff that happens on a regular basis. It feels like such an insignificant and random choice to pick this one as catalyst for global change. Like do people realize what kinds of evil acts go on in the world that impacts millions instead of just a handful of people?

(3) That being said, remember when the video first came out and 100% of people on the right denounced Chauvin's actions unequivocally? Yeah what happened to that energy. Weird as it is to hype up some random act of minor evil as a focal point for a global protest movement, it's even weirder and worse to defend it as if nothing happened. All those evil acts that go on in the world and you want to shed tears over an abusive cop getting locked up? Pick a better hill to die on
This assumes the majority of the outrage is/was based in an 'us verse them' race issue (i.e., black men versus white cops).

My limited outrage in the Chauvin case had to do with his actions and the absolutely disgusting defense of his actions in right-wing media, which you highlight (wrongly ... it was never 100% as you suggest). Race wasn't really a factor. Similarly, I don't think it was at all accurate or necessary to paint Floyd as some Saint given his history and behavior at the time of arrest. Even if he was an absolute dirtbag, it was not Chauvin's job to play 'punisher' on the streets of Minneapolis ... this seems to be lost on many.

Yes, an odd hill to die on.

Old 05-11-2021, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
This assumes the majority of the outrage is/was based in an 'us verse them' race issue (i.e., black men versus white cops).

My limited outrage in the Chauvin case had to do with his actions and the absolutely disgusting defense of his actions in right-wing media, which you highlight (wrongly ... it was never 100% as you suggest). Race wasn't really a factor. Similarly, I don't think it was at all accurate or necessary to paint Floyd as some Saint given his history and behavior at the time of arrest. Even if he was an absolute dirtbag, it was not Chauvin's job to play 'punisher' on the streets of Minneapolis ... this seems to be lost on many.

Yes, an odd hill to die on.
Excuse my ignorance, but what media defended his actions?

Old 05-11-2021, 09:23 AM

I don't think chauvin intended to kill Floyd but he seemed insane the way he felt the need to kneel on him. I wouldn't restrain an out of control dog that way nevermind a person. It is hard to rationalize why he didn't just put him in the car or leave him in the car. He dragged him out of the car and knelt on him.

Those actions of chauvin don't make Floyd a better person though either. This case needs to go away. It's over and done with.

Old 05-11-2021, 10:22 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,153,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but what media defended his actions?
Breitbart and Tucker Carlson attempted play the "poorly handled, but not criminal" narrative from the very start ... Tucker kept to the narrative through the guilty verdict. In the interim, they kicked up lots of dirt which attempted to discredit Floyd as a victim.

That's not condemnation. As we got closer to a verdict, BFD's rhetoric (or whatever alias he's using these days) more or less captured the sentiment of the Twitter-sphere. Floyd was not a victim of Chauvin, just a low rent drug addict already on a terminal course. Pathetic really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston