Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2021, 06:19 PM

2,280 posts, read 1,349,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Boston is portrayed as a city that is
80% White, 10% Asian, 5% Black, 5% Hispanic
(greater) Boston is 70% White 12% Hispanic and 8% Black and Asian.

The city of Boston is different but that's quite meaningless since the boundaries of the city are completely arbitrary while the boundary of the MSA are where people actually live.
Had Dorchester, Roxbury and Brighton remained independent the data for the city of Boston would look completely different but in reality there would actually be no difference.

It makes total sense that Boston is more white than any other large metro area. Is the farthest from Mexico, the farthest from Asia and the closest to Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2021, 06:11 AM

1,397 posts, read 866,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Define "celebrated" and who is responsible for it? By the way, there are numerous cultures in this city that are not "embraced" or advertised including Irish culture the reality of which is not even remotely represented. How do you know what people perceive and whose perception needs to change?

I travel. I gather perceptions from people I talk to. I gather info from media and pop culture. There are surveys I could reference. How about finding out how black people in Boston feel maybe instead of assuming you know.
Take any industry in Boston - start sports you ever watch or listen to sports talk. Michael Holley said this about fact that 1 in 10 in Boston sports media, journalism, radio is black..

“That’s not representative — that’s actually pathetic,” said Michael Holley, a Black journalist with local experience in newspaper, radio, and television. “You want a range of storytellers, you want a range of ideas to really bring out the best of what we’ve seen here in Boston. I don’t think you can do that if you keep hiring and running into the same patterns and keep hiring the same types of people.”

The sports tv shows are actively changing this and it’s starting to show. It’s changing elsewhere too

Everyone knows Boston’s Irish culture, whitey, Southie, it’s marketed ad nauseum for years. Everyone knows about Paul revere and the midnight ride. Visitors think Boston is small because their travel guides end at the Isabella Stuart gardner museum.

Did you know Boston’s Caribbean parade is one of the largest events in the entire city? Let me ask you..how much coverage has the Caribbean parade gotten, one of the largest events in all of Boston, compared to st pattys day parade?

Nobody knows Massachusetts has the largest percentage of Brazilians outside of Florida..but everyone knows they visited the north end when they came..

Last edited by Ne999; 04-11-2021 at 06:42 AM..

Old 04-11-2021, 06:39 AM

5,126 posts, read 2,705,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
How about finding out how black people in Boston feel maybe instead of assuming you know.
I didn't make assumptions, you did. I just asked for source information. You gave me your opinion.

Quote:
Everyone knows Boston’s Irish culture, whitey, Southie, it’s marketed ad nauseum for years. Everyone knows about Paul revere and the midnight ride. Visitors think Boston is small because their travel guides end at the Isabella Stuart gardner museum.
So you're assuming what everyone knows and what visitors know. I think you need to worry more about your own assumptions and presumptions.

Quote:
Did you know Boston’s Caribbean parade is one of the largest events in the city? You’ll find about 1/100th the coverage of the st pattys day parade
Yes, I have long been aware of this. I've been to a couple, have you? Sounds like something new to you. Are you aware that this particular event also has a long history of violence? Were you living in Boston in 93 when 7 people were shot? 2001 when people were killed? 2007 when 4 people were stabbed? The list goes on, you get my point. I was living in Dorchester during that time, were you?

Quote:
I’m sure you’ve got a good feel for the perception in Woburn?
Have no clue what this is supposed to mean.

Old 04-11-2021, 06:49 AM

Quote:
I didn't make assumptions, you did. I just asked for source information. You gave me your opinion.

So you're assuming what everyone knows and what visitors know. I think you need to worry more about your own assumptions and presumptions.

Yes, I have long been aware of this. I've been to a couple, have you? Sounds like something new to you. Are you aware that this particular event also has a long history of violence? Were you living in Boston in 93 when 7 people were shot? 2001 when people were killed? 2007 when 4 people were stabbed? The list goes on, you get my point. I was living in Dorchester during that time, were you?

Have no clue what this is supposed to mean.
I’m glad you are aware the Caribbean parade in Boston is one of the largest events in the city. How many do you think in the city are aware? How many in the metro?
I’m asking for your opinion

How do you feel black Boston is represented in Boston industries..start with sports media, journalism, radio... Michael Holley went on the record saying it’s “atrocious”
It’s actively and visibly changing this year

Boston’s marketing needs to change and it is.it is changing with the current mayor..look at tourism websites in other cities and compare to Boston’s of the past where the entire city is basically the back bay, north end, beacon hill, fenway park, Isabella Stewart gardner

Old 04-11-2021, 06:50 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,067,827 times
That same caribbean parade where someone gets shot every year?

Start with convincing the bangers black lives matter more than green hats so walking around while black wearing a wrong hat doesn't get you killed and tourists will start showing up, until then you can buy out the entire superbowl ad time with zero results.

Quote:
I travel. I gather perceptions from people I talk to. I gather info from media and pop culture. There are surveys I could reference. How about finding out how black people in Boston feel maybe instead of assuming you know.
Take any industry in Boston - start sports you ever watch or listen to sports talk. Michael Holley said this about fact that 1 in 10 in Boston sports media, journalism, radio is black..

“That’s not representative — that’s actually pathetic,” said Michael Holley, a Black journalist with local experience in newspaper, radio, and television. “You want a range of storytellers, you want a range of ideas to really bring out the best of what we’ve seen here in Boston. I don’t think you can do that if you keep hiring and running into the same patterns and keep hiring the same types of people.”

The sports tv shows are actively changing this and it’s starting to show. It’s changing elsewhere too

Did you know Boston’s Caribbean parade is one of the largest events in the city? You’ll find about 1/100th the coverage of the st pattys day parade

I’m sure you’ve got a good feel for the perception in Woburn?

Old 04-11-2021, 07:00 AM

Quote:
I’m glad you are aware the Caribbean parade in Boston is one of the largest events in the city. How many do you think in the city are aware? How many in the metro?
I’m asking for your opinion

How do you feel black Boston is represented in Boston industries..start with sports media, journalism, radio... Michael Holley went on the record saying it’s “atrocious”
It’s actively and visibly changing this year

Boston’s marketing needs to change and it is.it is changing with the current mayor..look at tourism websites in other cities and compare to Boston’s of the past where the entire city is basically the back bay, north end, beacon hill, fenway park, Isabella Stewart gardner

On the first point, don't patronize me. Doesn't sound like you have even been to a Caribbean Festival. On the second, probably most, if they have lived here long enough. It is regularly highlighted local media, and the associated violence certainly gets it extra attention. Marketing is driven by what people spend their money on, not political correctness. I'm interested in finding solutions to REAL problems that have actual positive benefit for people, not window dressing and virtue-signalling that make upper class white people (and their followers) feel like they are actually doing something to address the problems, when all they are doing is patting themselves on the back and carrying on with their otherwise self-serving lives.

Old 04-11-2021, 07:08 AM

Quote:
On the first point, don't patronize me. On the second, probably most, if they have lived here long enough. It is regularly highlighted local media, and the associated violence certainly gets it extra attention. Marketing is driven by what people spend their money on, not political correctness. I'm interested in finding solutions to REAL problems that have actual positive benefit for people, not window dressing and virtue-signalling that make upper class white people (and their followers) feel like they are actually doing something to address the problems, when all they are doing is patting themselves on the back and carrying on with their otherwise self-serving lives.
People/visitors can’t come and spend money on businesses, restaurants, people that they don’t know exist

Old 04-11-2021, 07:13 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,067,827 times
https://mobile.twitter.com/stacos - those businesses and restaurants "do not exist" because every night there is a #NubianNight, not because people don't know about them.

Quote:
People/visitors can’t come and spend money on businesses, restaurants, people that they don’t know exist

Old 04-11-2021, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Then the people you reference are capable of traveling, but when it comes to researching their destination choices are completely devoid of that capability? Please. I've been in many major cities and have trudged through many neighborhoods that were never marketed to me. Boston is no different than any other city in that regard. People go where they have an interest and they don't go where they don't, regardless of glossy brochures. They can see black history downtown. They can also see black history in downtown Philly or DC. If they are interested in Caribbean culture, many go to the actual Caribbean they don't need to schlep over to a residential neighborhood that isn't designed for tourists and, if it were, would likely displace the very people you claim to support!

Old 04-11-2021, 07:14 AM

16,643 posts, read 8,369,674 times
The Caribbean parade is dangerous.

Plenty of people don't travel from all over the world to attend the st paddy's day parade either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston