Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2021, 03:20 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,330,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
And who gets to decide whether those bruised ribs were unnecessary - could it be the jury with lynch mob waiting outside and cancel mob waiting online? And more importantly, who in their right mind would be willing to get dragged to court after every arrest of non-cooperating perp? No one likes ambulance-chasing parasites but there's going to be 100 cruiser-chasing parasites for each one of those if qualified immunity is completely abolished.

And speaking of qualified immunity, how do you feel about judges - should we get rid of their qualified immunity and hold them responsible for all the violent recidivist criminals who went on to injure or murder someone when the judge felt like they deserved 386437645th second chance?
So my choice is a jury that may or may not be influenced by the court of public opinion who may convict a not-as-bad officer of wrongdoing or continue to have really-bad officers get to do really bad things with no consequence? I'll take the jury, thanks.

The mobs waiting outside would eventually subside, but you also know they're as angry as they are for a good reason. Policing in this nation built a bonfire of abuse and misconduct for over a century, and they do not just get to walk away from it without consequence. It's on the police system to fall on their swords and start to fix things.

As for judges, their immunity is more restricted, but even then ... if you are found to be criminally negligent in a decision, there should be consequences. Doesn't matter if you're a cop or a judge. Nobody's above the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2021, 03:27 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,153,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I have to admit I've seen and smelled a lot of black men smoking in their cars, any time of day. I'm not judging but it is illegal and it is a reason to get pulled over.

I honestly have not seen this done by other folks...just black men.
I assure you black men have not cornered the market on cannabis OUIs.

Old 04-21-2021, 03:29 PM

21,745 posts, read 12,888,027 times
Quote:
I have to admit I've seen and smelled a lot of black men smoking in their cars, any time of day. I'm not judging but it is illegal and it is a reason to get pulled over.

Thank you, Sherlock Holmes.

Old 04-21-2021, 03:31 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,067,827 times
He did not, it was straight up profiling because what you described (i.e. three young black males in a car with out of state license plates on New England drug trafficking superhighway) unfortunately fits the profile of drug traffickers. As mentioned previously everyone knows who the dope peddlers are but no one is cooperating which is why cops must resort to random traffic stops of those who fit the profile hoping they luck out with dumb criminals who leave a gun or drugs in plain view instead of looking for a very specific car with very specific license plate driven by a very specific person. And, funny enough, quite a few criminals are dumb and get busted that way, more than through any other means, though unfortunately when it comes to MA according to our judges even someone busted with a medium-sized arsenal and a trunkload of fentanyl deserves at least 873483475 second chances before they get locked up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
why??

Old 04-21-2021, 03:38 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,067,827 times
So let's try again - are you expecting every cop to be OK with getting dragged to court by the new breed of ambulance-chasing parasites and quite possibly losing everything they have every single time they arrest someone who's resisting? Whatever it is you're smoking, please do share!

Or do you expect the cops to not arrest anyone who refuses to go willingly in order to not get sued and ruined by the said parasites? If so, what's stopping the perps from resisting every single time a cop tries to arrest them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
So my choice is a jury that may or may not be influenced by the court of public opinion who may convict a not-as-bad officer of wrongdoing or continue to have really-bad officers get to do really bad things with no consequence? I'll take the jury, thanks.

The mobs waiting outside would eventually subside, but you also know they're as angry as they are for a good reason. Policing in this nation built a bonfire of abuse and misconduct for over a century, and they do not just get to walk away from it without consequence. It's on the police system to fall on their swords and start to fix things.

As for judges, their immunity is more restricted, but even then ... if you are found to be criminally negligent in a decision, there should be consequences. Doesn't matter if you're a cop or a judge. Nobody's above the law.

Old 04-21-2021, 03:41 PM

16,643 posts, read 8,369,674 times
I don't profile often... but when I do...it's on black men smoking in their cars.

But seriously when I lived in Dorchester and roslindale I saw it all the time. Can't say I saw that in Milton or anywhere else.

Old 04-21-2021, 03:47 PM

5,126 posts, read 2,705,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
You're inferring a justification for rioting which isn't there.

Legitimate calls for reform can exist along side less legitimate mass rioting. Note: screaming ACAB isn’t an informed call for reform.
Yes. However legitimate calls for reform are also accompanied by a problem statement based on data, statistics, and reason along with a willingness to actually engage in dialogue and develop proposals for solutions based on same.

Old 04-21-2021, 03:50 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,153,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Yes. However legitimate calls for reform are also accompanied by proposals based on data, statistics, and reason along with a willingness to actually engage in dialogue based on same.
Your point? Aren entities like the ACLU not informed on laws and precedent? SCJs not informed on laws and precedent?

When I stated there were “issues” regarding qualified immunity I was referencing legitimate criticisms regarding scope, not some hot take on Twitter by a partisan hack.

Last edited by Shrewsburried; 04-21-2021 at 04:24 PM..

Old 04-21-2021, 03:53 PM

Quote:

This logic is very BBMM-like of you. But speaking about what you've seen as if it is generalizable without being tested doesn't fly.

Old 04-21-2021, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Your point? Aren’t entities like the ACLU not informed on constitutional law? Are SJC’s not informed on constitutional law?

When I stated there were “issues” I was referencing legitimate criticisms regarding scope, not some hot take on Twitter.
What do those organizations have to do with the popular police narratives being used to justify most reforms?

Edit: Since you edited-in the second sentence yes, there's room for legitimate conversations about reform on QI. But legit conversations about that one item are not what is front and center in the public square, in the media, or by interested parties in powerful political positions. This is not limited to an isolated "partisan hack" on Twitter.

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 04-21-2021 at 04:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston